WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada
DINING ROOM ADOBE MURAL WIP and C&C

This is after 3 days.

I need help with

Mountains.- I want them bathed in evening light near and far?
Stones - Distance perspective. I want to be able to step outside and sit on the steps
Clouds and sky. Clear warm evening
hills- rolling and inviting and calming and sun kissed

Sun from the right ( west ) also coming from inside the house??

Your help is greatly appreciated. I have a lot of reference material but they all seem to reflect a time passed. I want people to have dinner and walk outside for a glass of wine and enjoy the view.

Thanks a Heap and a half
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 01:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: DINING ROOM ADOBE MURAL WIP and C&C

Great start Sissy .... hope someone comes along soon to help you out. The only thing that jumps out at me is I thought you had to go paler in the distance and get brighter and more defined as you come to the foreground. The strong blue of the water just below the distant hills seems to dominate at the moment and my eyes get stuck there. I am no expert so take this with a pinch of salt
Its going to be a terrific Mural
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thank you Jake for your wisdom. I went ahead and changed it like you said. I like it so much better. I'm learning so much from this and it's taking a long time. didn't get a chance to work on it much today but got that bit in and I'm glad. Not sure about the rest and the long glowing bit but I might stick a sailboat in there. I think I should add a bit more something to the sky. Tone down the yellow ( not that bright in real life but still too much I think. Add more pinks and tangerine maybe to the clouds and mountains. What do you think?

It's starting to feel like I want it too anyway. So thanks you're my hero today.!!
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

Agreed, very nice start. Laying it all out is the most challenging part, at least for me, so you've got that part down and now the fun part lies ahead.
I like where you are going with the stones on the left side (ground) but the ones on the right to me look like they are sort of stacked on top of one another instead of lying flat on the ground. Perhaps the stones closest to the viewer can become larger, more like the ones you have sketched in on the left side and can fairly quickly shift in size as the eye follows them back. I'm not sure from the viewer's perspective that one would see the "grout" lines equally around each stone either in a flat walking area such as this. I think that is what is contributing to the wall effect verses a terrace.
Looking forward to learning from other's comments.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2005, 04:31 AM
Alberta

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up Re: DINING ROOM ADOBE MURAL WIP and C&C

Thanks for your comments Semper. Yes that blasted wall thing. Although it looks way worse looking at it from the side view it still bugged me. I must have read your mind cause I drastically shrunk the far stones leading to the stairs.

How? I laid out my tape measure ( 5 feet ) in a doorway and saw how far up on the door frame it would go on a 2 dimentional surface. I laid out a small paint tray and thought if they were all about this size and they were elipses how small how fast to get twice as many in 18". sounds complicated. I'm not explaining it very well. But I had the 4th arch on the right ( 3rd on that wall) and I wanted to go much faster than I did the first ones. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to connect my garden path with the ocean. I would like a doc and a boat, or a nice bench with me on it reading or plein airing. I really haven't thought it out very well. I also need to add some outdoor vines and foliage and some thing on the window pane.

This is so fun. I don't know why the top pictures came up big like that. I'm on dial up. What a pain in the butt.

Thanks for taking the time to write.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2005, 05:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Oh! Yes .... thats much better That one change has helped a lot with the distance perspective.
The sky looks a bit stormy to me but that might be the scan. Go with your gut feeling ... tone it down if you feel you need too. Its always difficult to say accurately when computers and scanners seem to change colours such a lot.
You say you want a clear warm evening so adding some pinks would probably help a lot.