WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM

relief printing on plastic

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to do a linocut print onto plastic instead of paper. I'm looking for an ink that will dry and also be permanent. Any ideas of what kind of ink I should use?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Re: relief printing on plastic

What kind of plastic? Not all inks will adhere to plastic, some need an absorbent surface or one with some tooth. Is the block already cut?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 PM

I've created a surface out of fusing plastic shopping bags with an iron and now would like to print onto the surface. I did an experiment with ink from an inkpad which dried because of the alcohol base, I'm assuming, but didn't print very boldly. I also tried Caligo Safe Wash Relief Ink (oil base), which printed nicely but hasn't dried yet (it was only yesterday, though). I'm wondering if it ever will. And I'm also wondering if others have tried printing on non-absorbent surfaces with any luck and how they did it.

And in answer to your question, no I haven't cut the block yet. (But I did the test with one I already had cut).

Thanks!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Water based ink made with an acrylic base (eg Derivan Block Ink) will give an impression if its a thin layer so it doesn't squish but you might want to try a crafter's product called Staz-On Ink which is made for all kinds of non-porous surfaces including plastics.

The pads can be pressed onto the lino but you'll need to work fast for the transfer, like regular stamping.....or....the pads can be pressed onto a silicone craft mat and used from that surface. These inks are solvent based and dry fast and are permanent but they stick to just about everything.

Read here and see if this is an option:https://www.imaginecrafts.com/learn-stazon
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

Last edited by ic.Art : 01-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of acrylic based relief ink (only non-permanent water based or oil based), so I'll look into that. (I haven't seen the Derivan Ink here in Canada, but could order.)

Thanks also for the tip on the Staz-On ink. I'll try it. Do you know if it prints darkly?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Mmmmm.....I live in Australia and Derivan is an Australian product part of the Matisse-Derivan range which make artists materials. Not affiliated, just like the printing inks. Have a look at the link to see if it might suit:
ihttp://www.derivan.com.au/derivan-pr...block-ink.html

I keep a black and a basic colour set but I keep a big pot of the Extender because if necessary you can mix any colour acrylic paint into it and have that colour to print.

It's marketed to educational institutions so maybe through school suppliers in Canada or the US?? Or maybe similar type product? Or order one black from Aus. to try out?

I use the Staz On Ink on metal and it transfers as a dense colour, I use the black, sepia and an opaque white.

Please tell us your solution.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri