WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1261   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 05:16 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Just seen this news item about visiting Big Bend NP.

Doug
  #1262   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Doug, that article makes me keen to get going!

Excellent to hear that they are making good progress with repairs in Castellon. I want to spend considerable time with the old houses between there and Santa Elena. We are also hoping that this year the road to the mines will be passable. And I am taking a bathing suit so I can take a dip in the hot springs.

Yes Dave, the Hunter workshop Iím taking is the one in Texas. The hill country area where it is being held is very scenic and pretty touristy because of it. David is coming along and will be happy revisiting the hill country and visiting family in San Antonio while I paint.

I do hope your wife is feeling better, Dave! Iím due for my second shingles vaccine in a couple of weeks...sure hope it is effective.

Congrats on the kayaking milestone!
  #1263   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

The Charlie Hunter workshop should be good based upon what I've seen of his work.

How about that residency?

I'm looking foreward to seeing BBNP again. Still no one joining you two in February? There are old houses scattered around the park and some are quite paintable. Some of those north of Castelon are interesting ruins. There are a few structures at the hot springs too.

My wifes Shingles have slackened now and she is pretty comfortable at the moment.

There is to be a paddlers outting tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day... 9AM, 30F, light winds with gusts, cold water, snow flurries... some call this fun; I'm unsure what I will call it.

Swimming at the hot springs is popular but don't go on out into the river... it is not as safe as it looks. Plus... don't drink that water.

Comments?

-Dave
  #1264   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2019, 02:58 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
My wifes Shingles have slackened now and she is pretty comfortable at the moment.
Good to hear that Dave.

Doug
  #1265   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I am really looking forward to the workshop, Dave. Been stalking Charlie for years hoping he would show up somewhere I could afford to go. I really love his design sense and hope some of it will rub off on me.

They extended the deadline on the residency so no word from the decision makers. Itís the old buildings at Big Bend that led to the application, and Iím anxious to get back to them now that Iíve thought more about how to treat them. And of course Iím developing quite a list of other places that would tie in.

Still no other takers for the trip to BB. David found us a little house via Air B&B that is outside of Study Butte. Looks like it will be very comfortable, and we can cook if we want which is nice.

Did you join the frozen paddlers?

Glad to hear your wife is doing better!
  #1266   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
Well I hope the workshop and the residency both work out to your satisfaction.

The O.P.S. has announced it's list of outings for 2020 and BBNP is not on the list. I might opt for BBNP while you and David are there. I'm slow to say I'll go because I'm watching for what my wife needs. Wish we could scare up a bigger group though. I would probably stay in the cheap end of the Mining Company Motel again. It has always worked for me.

The Turkey Day 5K was: I arrived 40 minutes early with ice already on my boat. Conditions were okay... 30sF, heavily clouded, near freezing rain and showers, little wind. There were five of us... two on SUPs, one kayak and two surfskis. I stayed out two hours with one short break, doing 6 miles... it was raining and a complete hoot. I had so much fun it's hard to describe it. We were all so bundled up that I was unsure who a couple of the people paddling were. I'd do it again tomorrow !

-Dave
  #1267   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

You northern plains guys are tough! When you can turn that kind of discomfort into fun, there are a lot more fun opportunities to be had. I only rise to ďmake the best of itĒ level....being cold is rough on this girl.

I think I messaged you the dates we will be in BB. It would be great to have another artist to meet up with for some dinnertime show and tell. I donít think any of my buds will be coming. The one I thought most likely to go wants a solitary experience when she makes the trip.

Sketching today at a bird sanctuary/rehab. Itís supposed to be cool, not cold, so I should be OK.
  #1268   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
Yes I have your dates. I may opt for both weekends of that week. At least that's what I told my wife and she is cool with my being that many days away. Not ready to cast it in bronze yet but we are avoiding appointments then.

Still paddling my boat in mid 40sF today. No big deal but the cold water is a bit risky and there are few who come out.

comments? -Dave
  #1269   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Everyone:

Curious about BBNP and on Facebook... friend "Lilia Falcon".

A fine lady, Lilia has one of the restaurants in Boquillas. Her posts are about BBNP and activities around and in Boquillas. Some of this is in English and some is in Spanish. Lots of photos.

-Dave
  #1270   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Sent a friend request to Lilia.

How cold is too cold to paddle?
  #1271   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: In Boquillas there are two restaurants and a bar. Lilia has the larger of the restaurants, a view over the river and some motel style rooms. I've eaten in both of the restaurants and can't say I prefer one over the other. They are fun places to go but bring a passport to re-enter the states united.

It's too cold to paddle when the water crystalizes. Paddling temperatures... well, there are some factors. How cold is the water is a major item. Cold water is quite dangerous. Is it windy, is the water deep, how far from shore are you, is the sun out, are there others out there. If there are other people with boats are they aware of you and interested in your safety. The water here is now in the low 40sF and that is getting nasty if you capsize. At this time I'm looking for highs around the 50sF and winds less than 9MPH. Seeing a day with this as a mid afternoon forecast I'll message some others and see if any are coming out. This week Friday is a good maybe.
Thanksgiving was a little event with five paddlers out... New Years will be a repeat with perhaps a few more. People paddle in small groups as a sort of recognition that someone may get into the wet stuff and need a hand.

I dress for the weather, let the wind help me decide on my course and paddle near the shore in the shallow areas where possible. I also try to paddle with others. Rain and snow... unless visability is low are not big problems as you are very layered-up. You need people to be able to see you if you are in trouble and you need to be able to find your way about without running up on rocks.

All that said my surfski is a fragile thing and once I see ice... that's it for my boat. I might drag out my old Art Barge for a run but not the 'ski.

-Dave
  #1272   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Sounds like the Polar Bear Club...but with oars and more clothes!
  #1273   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
As the weather gets more questionable you stay home more often. Today was okay but the next week or two are not very nice. BBNP starts looking pretty good.
-Dave