Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Snow Barn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Joel L

Snow Barn. This corn crib is located in central Iowa. This drawing is 20 inches x 11 1/4 inches drawn on hot-press drawing paper with a Koh-I-Noor rapiograph pen. I will see if I can get a close up image. Comments are welcomed!

Joel L
            Joel L
                Joel L

The close-ups are from the same photo so they aren’t great. I will try to get actual closer photos next time.

I enjoyed this drawing. I’m not thrilled with the foreground tall weeds. I think I made too many and too uniformed. Maybe. Maybe I just don’t like the shape they create. I’m not sure.

I wanted the farm a little lighter but I’m still not use to how fast this paper darkens (to me… I might be a little nuts on this part). Next time maybe I will use a smaller tip for distant objects of this nature.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome! Thank you!

I think this is a very charming piece, depicts the rural conditions and atmosphere so well ….. the lines are delicate yet good tonal contrasts.

I have a problem with the perspective though!
                    Your eye level appears to be somewhere near the top line of the barn ‘supports’ …… but the base line doesn’t match that top line and then all front lines of the building above that level should slant down right towards a right vanishing point.!! :)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

I really like it! I love how you captured the look of snow clinging to the barn in places. And my eye is drawn into the structure and the detail you did on an inside wall. I remember seeing so many barns like this in Maine. They seemed to shape shift in the wind but, I can tell there is little wind there today because the grasses aren’t all tangled. I love when a single image tells a story!

(I’m still working on perspective so I don’t see what Maureen sees- I’m trying but lines go over my head!)

Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                    -Helen Keller
                    The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Joel L

Thanks for the comments!

I’m posting the reference photo for reference. :)

There is a very, very good chance that there is a problem with perspective. I think it is rare that my drawings don’t have a problem with it. I think maybe I don’t either notice it too much or I kind of enjoy it. In a rebellious sort of way. Much of my day job requires a great deal of attention (and time) to detail and precision. I enjoy not worrying so much about it in my drawings. Most of my attention goes to mood and feeling. I really, really enjoy cross hatching. I may rush through the construction of the drawing to get to the cross hatching. This may put less emphasis on the construction of the drawing.

Perspective is a weak point of mine. But I’m not sure how much I want to worry about it. I guess if it detracts from the enjoyment of viewing the image then it is a problem. But if it detracts from the enjoyment of drawing the image it is a problem too.

Welcome to the dilemma of me. :)

Joel, thanks for posting the ref as it helps me see what you have as a starting point!

If the ‘errors’ in perspective don’t worry you then ignore them! – it’s your drawing after all!:lol:

I can see the angle of the barn doorway on the ref – it’s less-pronounced than in your drawing and I think that it’s probably due to settlement of the building!
                        I can also, from the ref, now understand the other thing bothering me – the pillar-like supports area (or whatever they are!!! – we don’t see barns like this here!) – I think I’d have tried to disguise the base of that area to stop it looking ‘impossible’ – but that’s my brain trying to reconcile parts!!!:lol:
                        My brain always want to work out the footprint of an object/building, how it sits on the land and occupies space!! :lol: (That’s the dilemma of me ;))

BTW – I like the foreground grasses – they help create distance without demanding too much attention and distracting the eye – I even think you should include those on the left in the ref – at present the pen uses that space!:lol:
                        Composition-wise, I also like the balance of forms and being able to see other compositions within the whole.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Joel L

Hi Maureen!

Thanks for the comments!

There is a definite settling of the building. I did exaggerate it because it really caught my attention and seemed important to the feeling.

This is interesting. Structures like this are very common where I am. There is definitely an “impossible” feeling to many of these structures. It is as if they are defying gravity! I like to think of it as defying time. They have work so hard for the majority of their lifespans and then when their usefulness has expired their battle to defy time continues on. I admire the struggle to push on.

I think I like the emptiness of the lower left. I am still deciding if I want the do the sky. If I do do the sky, I think I want that white there.

Also, I like the zig-zag. Even though the white is white it seems like an object to me. So for me, the zig-zag is the white area(lower left) the gate, the barn, the farm place, and a slight shading variation in the center to left of the sky(not drawn yet but may be added when and if I add the sky).

I also tend to do fairly heavily shaded drawings and this was kind of nice just to cleanse my pallet (kind of). :)

Thank you for the comments. Its great to be able to see what others see.

I’ve found bunches of CDs, what I used to save photos to before “digital”. I’m going to bet 3/4 of the photos will be reference pictures of old farm buildings like this. The walls would be made of wood (or pallet wood) but the roofs were all made of metal like Iowa. A decade later and I’d love to go back to that part of my world looking for those old buildings again. Your drawings makes me nostalgic for the buildings and the isolation but not so much for the snow! Damn, I used to love snow!

Thanks for the memories.
                            Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                            -Helen Keller
                            The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                            -Henry David Thoreau

I like your barn/corn crib. The drawing has that cloudy gloomy winter feel that is such a part of Midwest winters.

Bluegill

It’s a beautiful drawing, and I feel cold just looking at it.

I can see Charlie’s Mum’s point about the perspective–but I don’t think I would have paid much attention to it on my own. For one thing, it looks like you photographed the drawing not quite level; I think it the photo were rotated about two degree clockwise, things would feel better aligned. And another thing, the terrain change visible directly behind the barn through the opening just throws things off a tiny bit. I’m pondering subtle ways you could adjust it…but really, I think I’d recommend not changing anything. :thumbsup:

On Instagram and Facebook as Marktablerart
                                http://marktablerart.blogspot.com/
                                http://www.marktablerart.com/

Bluegill

…to add to what I just said: The main reason I don’t think you should change anything is that I wouldn’t want to alter the sense of light and space the viewer gets in looking through the shadowed opening to the brightness on the other side. You could try to make a tiny change to strengthen the connection between the ground on either side of the barn with the ground visible behind it, to make if feel more continuous. But I’d be careful not to ruin the sense of “looking through to brightness,” which was probably something that really caught your interest to begin with.

On Instagram and Facebook as Marktablerart
                                    http://marktablerart.blogspot.com/
                                    http://www.marktablerart.com/

Joel L

Hey Mark! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it was one of the things that caught my eye.

Thank you, Jprice022!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.