WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Washington DC

How to make giclée prints?

A client recently saw my paitnings and was really interested in one of them. However he couldn't afford it and he would like to know if I make any giclee print, with which I don't have any experience. Shall I go to the local print store to scan and print? I checked the price chart and it doesn't seem worth it to just order one print. Can I scan it by myself ? My husband has a good scanner at home but I am not sure if it could scan paintings.

On the other hand, I do have digital image of my painting in high resolution. Can i just print giclee from the photo? I googled some online printing sites where you can upload the image and they will print it for you. Do I need to add border ? What kind of material shall it be printed on? There are so many choices like studio canvas, archival paper,etc etc, and I am a little confused.

Last edited by Tr2163 : 11-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 02:04 AM
Enthusiast
Southern California, USA

Hails from United States
Re: How to make giclée prints?

A quality professional scan makes a better quality print. There are high end format printers (an investment) for printing the actual print. Epson makes the best affordable ($$$ still) printer for making giclee prints. You can print on canvas (preferred) or archival paper with professional archival inks. It isn't worth having an unhappy client with a faded print who never forgets it.

If doing cheap note cards, you can use cheaper paper, but still archival inks on a good desktop printer.

If you purchase the scan, you can have prints made as you need them with a reputable company. Some companies will do a few as one for two. If you have a local art gallery or co-op they may be able to direct you to someone they have had good results with.

I base my answer on my own personal experience as a successful painting artist selling and printing giclees.

Wishing you the best in your painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 03:29 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

You might find going to a professional printer for just one Glicee very expense but ask around. You could print it out on photo paper yourself buthad you thought about offering him payment terms for the original. A risk I know but might be worth considering
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Angel, is a scan preferable to a high-quality photograph?

Suppose I have a 12" x 16" painting. Do I want a print on 12x16 paper, or larger? That is, does one customarily leave a white space of an inch around the picture?

Are there any online printing companies you'd recommend particularly? I'd consider investing in a giclee printer myself, but I wouldn't use it every day, which would lead to clogging etc, I imagine.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I've had a couple of giclee' makers duplicate paintings of mine. Both of them did a good job of reproducing the original oil painting.

Unlike having reproductions printed by the lithographic process, at a printing company, a giclee' service is quite accustomed to working with orders that are quite small in number. Giclee' makers use either a scanner, OR a camera. at least one of the giclee' makers used a camera, rather than a scanner, and of the two, I think he may have achieved just a tad better reproduction.

I was surprised to have seen his setup, and that he used a camera to take the digital image, but he knew what he was doing.

When you stop to think about it, you surely wouldn't expect a giclee' maker to have the capability to scan a very large painting. Such large scanners just don't exist. They almost have to use a camera to record the image.

It is the immense inkjet printers that they employ that are costly, and that seems to be where most of the customers' money is invested. One of the giclee' makers to whom I went, actually provided a preliminary "proof" of the subject, on a smaller-sized canvas. He actually GAVE me that proof after furnishing me with my 16" x 20" giclee' mounted on canvas and a stretcher bar.

I took that "proof", which was an 8" x 10", and stretched it on an 8 x 10 stretcher bar, and ultimately sold it! That was a giclee' that virtually cost me NOTHING!

After having been in the litho trade for over 40 years as a color separator, and been involved in creating proofs using every sort of proofing material in existence, I truly don't know how they do it. We color separators were almost never able to create images that would proof with such accurate facsimile of the original art! Giclee' makers seem to have a good handle on doing that.

I believe that my 16" x 20" giclee', printed on canvas, and stretched on a stretcher bar cost somewhere around $130, as I recall. And, as with the litho trade, I believe a larger number of giclee's would have reduced the cost per giclee' quite considerably.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

I printed a Dali masterpiece when I was younger at a professional printing store, on canvas, this reproduction is still intact after 8 years.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
I printed a Dali masterpiece when I was younger at a professional printing store, on canvas, this reproduction is still intact after 8 years.

That is good to hear! I always am concerned regarding the longevity of the ink use for the inkjet process. I figure they fade with exposure to light--primarily UV rays--nearly as readily as offset lithographic printing inks.

If that is the case, one will notice that Yellow is the first to fade, followed by Magenta, and finally Cyan. Cyan, and Black are usually the last to disappear.

But Yellow is quit fugitive in lithographic printing ink; I don't know about inkjet ink. I have always figured that they faded as well.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Isn't this forum about oil painting?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast

Yes the forum is about oil painting, and the thread is about helping oil painters learn to share their oil paintings as prints. I would think photographing and printing oils raises different concerns than with graphite or watercolor or other media. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Anyway, can anyone recommend an online printer for prints of oil paintings?

Also, I gather the most important thing is the photograph. I have a Canon Rebel SLR, but I seem to get better results with my iPhone X. Maybe neither is good enough? The iPhone does sport 2436-by-1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi.

Finally, I notice that some online printers offer to leave 1 or 2 inches or more blank around the painted image. Is that the best way to do prints?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
Isn't this forum about oil painting?

I am sorry, I would delete my post if I could.