WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, May 2018: optional plein air theme

First post, hopefully I get this right. 12X18 oil on panel, done while camping over memorial day weekend. My first ever attempts at plein air painting.

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

Welcome, Jae, and congratulations on those wonderful plein air paintings! If those are your first outdoor efforts, I can't wait to see what you do next! You kept your colors vibrant and lively; that's something I need to do better. I especially enjoy the bridge in the first painting.

I'm interested that you did this while camping. Did you just stuff your painting gear inside your backpack? You must have a strong back. I'd have to have someone shlep all my stuff for me into the wild.

Anyway, I'm delighted you've posted here, and I hope you keep the good work coming.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

I did a watercolor study of a local pedestrian mall last week, and yesterday I returned to the scene to try my hand at an oil painting. In some ways I prefer the watercolor painting to the oil; the color in the former is livelier. Here's the watercolor. "Bethesda Lane," watercolor on paper, 5" x 8."

And here's the oil. As I say, I tend to mute my colors too much with oils outdoors, and that was the case here. I was reasonably happy with the drawing, and my favorite bit is the figures. I'm trying to inject more human life into my landscapes and, especially, my cityscapes. "Bethesda Lane," oil on canvas panel, 16" x 20."

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Jae, absolutely love your plein airs!
Grotius, excellent work on the mall view. Did you have many curious viewers over your shoulder?

Yesterday, on a hot day, I went with my Bengal cat to the near by forest to paint. Thought my cat would like to visit forest and she did but it was so hot that she didn't want to walk at all! I had to carry her all the way to painting place and part of the trip she was sitting on my back where painting stuff back bag was giving nice support for her. She does like a lot these trips since she can go to forest basically in an arm chair - (my arms). I had no passers-by viewing what I was doing, which surprised me because there are people who walk with their dogs on this path.

"Forest Path", 20x30 cm, oil on "elephant paper". I don't like this plein air but I try to go practice more the next days since the place is wonderful and calm. Besides I need practice.

on location, you can see the cat there behind a branch. Photo shot with my old telephone, I don't carry camera with my.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
Welcome, Jae, and congratulations on those wonderful plein air paintings! *snip*

I'm interested that you did this while camping. Did you just stuff your painting gear inside your backpack? You must have a strong back. I'd have to have someone shlep all my stuff for me into the wild.

Thank you for the warm welcome, it means a lot.

I bought a Plein Air Pro Easel online for the camping trip, and part of the package is a backpack for the gear. I knew that plein air was something I wanted to do and decided to go for it. I had done 6 paintings in my studio space up to this point.

I'm working my way through a few books this week, will try to apply the lessons this weekend, weather permitting.

moscatel kitteh! Thanks for the positive vibes. I like your painting as well. I need so much work on my values and colors, but then there's the rub.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

I don't see why you dislike that plein air, Moscatel; I like it, especially the trail receding into the background. I suppose a few more cool colors in the distance would have helped it recede more, but it works as is. The base of the fallen tree is a little hard to see, but maybe that's how it looked in real life. I love the warm colors in the foreground.

Yes, people did stop and talk to me at that pedestrian mall, but not as much as usual. That's because I set up right in front of a big potted plant, so it was harder for people to get behind me! A plein air guide I was reading suggested doing just that. It was nice to paint with relatively few interruptions.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought a Plein Air Pro Easel online for the camping trip, and part of the package is a backpack for the gear.

I think I own that easel. It's designed primarily for watercolors, right? But like you, I've used it for oils, because it's lightweight and portable. You just have to find a way to keep the panel on the easel. You seem to have used clips; I'll try that!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
It's designed primarily for watercolors, right?

They make an oil painting version now:
https://enpleinairpro.com/profession...acrylic-easel/

You may be able to purchase the panel holder if you've already purchased the watercolor version? It's listed on the page I linked for $79.95
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

Good to know! Thanks.