Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Can you identify this pencils please???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Monica1

Hi,
        I need to get some colored pencils and I’m leaning torwards the oil based type…

Can anyone identify the brand of these pencils that this artist is using?
        He does amazing work. I noticed his paintings are really satured with color…would these be the oil based kind?

http://marcomazzoni.tumblr.com/image/63097513679

Monica

escoveitch

Faber Castell polychromos. They are oil- based. The artists work is superb. You know what? Give this guy a different set of pencils and he could still make magic.

CarmenMedlin

Love Marco Mazzoni!! His work is mind-blowing. I agree, I think he could do amazing things with any brand. I am curious about the oil-based ones, too — I wonder if they break less often than wax-based?

My Art | My Blog

Monica1

Thank you guys,

By the way he is giving an online class on jan 6th on how to illustrate with colored pencils….
                    He says that students will need colored pencils and paper, but he didn’t specify the materials.

In any case, is a class on skilshare.com , just look up his name there.

Monica

Delofasht

Yup, those are definitely Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencils, they are by far my favorite colored pencils so far, and as for breakage. . . They don’t break. I could write several horror stories about the number of times I thought they’d break, but they never do.

Great pencils, but don’t expect to get the same results as him. Good luck!

- Delo Delofasht
                        RickinNM
                            RickinNM

After looking again and other pics on his page you can read Faber-Castell on a couple of them.

Monica1

Another question….

that type of work, and coverage he gets with the pencils…could that also be done with a wax pencil, or that is a characteristic of oil pencil?

Monica

Saskia

It looks likethey could be caran-dache pablos they also have a gold ring on them. I have never used them just seen them.

[URL]http://www.dickblick.com/products/caran-dache-pablo-colored-pencils/[/URL]
                                        [URL]http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/colored-pencils/caran-dache-colored-pencils-and-sets/caran-dache-pablo-pencil-sets.htm[/URL]

Eric

Pablos are hexagonal and slightly thinner than that. Those are Polychromos.

Edit: Wow, that guy’s good. Thank you Monica for the information about the webcast. I will definitely be marking my calendar.

Saskia

C&C is always appreciated.

Delofasht

You can get that kind of coverage with most any professional grade color pencils, some brands might take longer than others, generally they all feel like they put down a good amount of color though. It also depends on the paper you are using though too, rougher papers tend to leave more grain showing, but that can in fact be filled up to get the same level of saturation. I suggest taking the time to read through the CP Library for more information and a great display of the techniques of CP and all it’s power and variety. Also check out Nicole Caulfield, she does her work on Ampersand Pastelbord quite often and uses many kinds of pencils to do her works yet still gets crazy saturation too.

Good luck and thank you for the skilshare class information, definitely gonna check it out!

- Delo Delofasht
                                            brissie

The oil based pencils are wonderful I use both Faber Castell Polychromus and the Caren dAche Pablo & although they’re more expensive they last longer and get a nice fine point. Since the prisma are now made in Mexico they’re terrible and constantly break. Infact I opened one and the whole shaft of lead was broken in 1 cm pieces!!!!
                                                Love that chaps work he’s incredibly talented…

TessDB

that type of work, and coverage he gets with the pencils…could that also be done with a wax pencil, or that is a characteristic of oil pencil?

That type of look can be achieved with any type of artist grade pencil, oil or wax based. It’s usually just a matter of technique– of building your colors and values slowly and using lots of layers.

But. Just as important is your choice of paper.
                                                    If you’re trying to get this sort of look, a paper that is smooth and not very toothy may not be a good choice. He doesn’t mention what type of paper he’s using, other than his sketchbooks (moleskein which are pretty smooth)… So notice the difference in style between the works on paper and the works in his sketchbooks. Betting some of that can be attributed to the nature of the surface.

I’m sure his online class will be really informative. But there is *no* replacement for experience. Get some pencils, get some paper, and start creating. Because what works for him may not work for you.

So when you’re ready to share, I hope you’ll post here!
                                                    Rosemary

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Rosemary (aka Tess) - [/color]
                                                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]How does she do that??? Find out here:[/color] Celtic Art 101

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                                                    [/left]

clydeine

I have mixed feelings about pencils. Before I knew better I invested in prismacolors a full set and have about every color and doubles of some, so you can imagine it’s a big group. (wont let my husband borrow one to make a note). Then I heard about Faber Castell and got a set of them very cheap. But here is the rub for me and I just cant seem to get past it. Prismacolors and Lyras are locally accessible. I can drive to town and pick up any color. Anything else I have to order and wait. I guess I am an impatient person because I cant wait, when I am in the middle of a painting. So for me even though prismas break, they are my go to pencil because of access and that I already have hundreds of them all happily sitting next to me.

Sutra

Thank you guys,

By the way he is giving an online class on jan 6th on how to illustrate with colored pencils….
                                                            He says that students will need colored pencils and paper, but he didn’t specify the materials.

In any case, is a class on skilshare.com , just look up his name there.

Is the intro class free? I see a 5 session class for $19, which is a reasonable price if it’s good. 59 people are already signed up. I wonder how many are from this forum.

Monica1

Hi Sutra, I think most classes on that site are paid classes.
                                                                That is a paid class for sure. I don’t know if is good or not.

I have signed up for some paid and free classes there in the past, and
                                                                these are not a “live class”, they are basically a recorded class…They are in my opinion very simplistic.

Don’t expect a super production like you see on artistnetwork tv for instance.

disclaimer, I am not affiliated with any of these websites..

Is the intro class free? I see a 5 session class for $19, which is a reasonable price if it’s good. 59 people are already signed up. I wonder how many are from this forum.

Monica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Can you identify this pencils please???’ is closed to new replies.