Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives Sargent: Portrait Challenge for April & May – Extended into June!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    NancyMP

“Young girl wearing a White Muslin”

This is the first of the John Singer Sargent oils I thought were nice for the forum. The next page has more, including a sensitively rendered oil of and Egyptian nude, which is why this thread has a butt icon.

I thought I would include a link to a short biography link for Sargent so that you would know a bit about his life. http://jssgallery.org/biography/biography.htm

Here are some drawings in charcoal and pencil of Sargent’s that aren’t all that small, some loose and some more tightly done. This should prove a nice array of his work!

Drawing of Yeats

Seated woman in hat

Ethel Barrymore

Henry Tonks – 1918

Lady Diana Manners

Carolus

“Vincent Fusciardi”

“Bartholomy Magagnasco”

“A Spanish Woman”

“Emily Sargent”

“Eugene Juillerat”

“Head of a Capri Girl”

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

NancyMP

“Head of an Italian Woman”

“Lady Agnew”

“Madame Frantois Buloz”

“Madame X”

“Nude Egyptian Girl”

“Portrait of Casper Goodrich”

“Sargent Self-Portrait”

“Portrait of Vernon Lee”

And here are a few watercolors that might be construed as portraits, so I included them for your consideration (most of his watercolors were outdoor scenes of buildings, nature, etc.

“Watercolor Portrait”

“Siesta”

“Bedouians”

I love Sargent’s work!:heart: Don’t you? Time to get started!:clap:

Portraiture guides and moderators, pitch in with any information you have about his style and work ethic. I have one book about Sargent that says he would leave his house with his easel and paints, going out into nature and shutting his eyes. He would turn blindly in a circle, open his eyes and paint whatever was in front of him. I think, from that action, he trusted his artistic vision to dig out the layers of beauty from wherever he was looking, to see through the coal into the heart of the diamond.

All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Anonymous

Sargent! Oh dear, what a daunting task… But I’m probably game, I just need to finish a nude I’m working on. Should be fun!

NancyMP

Wow, you must have been ready for this, Oliver!:D I just now posted it.:) Since it’s not quite April 1st yet in my time zone, you can get started earlier in Sweden, of course!:lol:

crafor

These people make all this look so easy.
                        Guess that’s why they’re masters, huh…I think I’m in, Maybe this will help me speed up a bit. Don’t know which yet. Fun? Maybe I’ve already hit my frustration level. What are the goals for these challenges? Are they posted someplace, or are they personal? What are the rules? Thanks!
                        Crafor

NancyMP

Goals are personal, Crafor!:) You must please yourself above any other targets. One way to start is to pick one, analyze the structural drawing of it, in whatever medium, and either try for a very accurate copy … or just have fun with the subject in your own style as long as it pleases you.

My goal is always to paint something that I would be proud to hang on the wall, but we all sometimes miss the mark.

Art is not easy, nor has it ever been. Especially when you develop the habit of self-criticism. All I can say is that if you don’t try, you won’t experience failure.

But if you try, and fail, you have previous experience you’ve learned from and can try, try again. This is the way we all learn to walk. Just don’t be afraid of falling down.

Okay, that’s too much lecturing, just tell me to back off and I will!:o

NancyMP

I am going to try that link again; I just tested the first one and it didn’t work! http://jssgallery.org/biography/biography.htm

lovin art

No Rules Cafar , Just gives us a chance to draw and paint and try to imagine what its like to walk In a Masters shoes for awhile:D … try them it will enhance your Learning ….

Nance:angel: ~ I remembered back to you suggesting this in the rag :D … I would love to jump in when time will let me ….you picked some groovy ones of his:clap: hes one of my favs … and heres another one to add to them guys , I Love this one and will attemp this one

heres an old one I did of Miss Agnew , but think I may have to re do her too ..:o :lol:

I look forward to joining in and seeing all works …and heres a basic LINK to some info on his drawing aspect

NancyMP

Thanks for joining in, Sandra,:heart: and your works are so nicely done!:D Please don’t hold the rest of us to such high standards. We will probably be all over the map on this project!:wink2:

lovin art

Nance:heart: how could I not …you know that saying ~Forget Paris , lets stay in toNIght and draw ‘ !!! :D

dominika

Great challenge this month! I love all you have posted, Nancy, his works are outstanding indeed. Not easy to paint or draw but worth to try. I’m in and ready for failure ;)…
                                                Beautiful drawing, Sandra, you have captured her expression and charm.

Dominika[/SIZE]
                                                [/B] [/COLOR]

NancyMP

You never know, Dominika! :clap:You may have a great success, as well!:D:wink2:

lovin art

Great challenge this month! I love all you have posted, [B]Nancy[/B], his works are outstanding indeed. Not easy to paint or draw but worth to try. I’m in and ready for failure ;)…
                                                        Beautiful drawing, [B]Sandra[/B], you have captured her expression and charm.

Thankyou Just read this ~Very Lovely of you Dominika :o …. I think you are doing just great! and I look forward to seeing what you draw … Im off sick today and well Im drawing, ‘ fail !! … thats not an option , I wont let it be : ) , So lets get started …

NancyMP

I started with what I thought is the most challenging portrait, the nude, and have used pastel pencil on primed canvas to sketch her. It’s a good way to go for me, starting from scratch. With pastel pencil I can wipe the first drawing clean, take what I learned from that, and do another drawing. I was going to show you my small attempt, but – this stupid Kodak has 18 images in it, and says it’s full and has no memory left!:evil: I hate this camera!:crying:

I follow the instructions to delete the images and it doesn’t work…I can draw and I can paint, but I must be technologically blind…I will have to wait until Himself gets home to take any pix. He knows how to dump the camera images.

lovin art

I started with what I thought is the most challenging portrait, the nude, and have used pastel pencil on primed canvas to sketch her. It’s a good way to go for me, starting from scratch. With pastel pencil I can wipe the first drawing clean, take what I learned from that, and do another drawing. I was going to show you my small attempt, but – this stupid Kodak has 18 images in it, and says it’s full and has no memory left!:evil: I hate this camera!:crying:

I follow the instructions to delete the images and it doesn’t work…I can draw and I can paint, but I must be technologically blind…I will have to wait until Himself gets home to take any pix. He knows how to dump the camera images.

Nance :heart: , ~get Himself to reinsert the sim card then try again, they do play up , its not you , its the cam Im sure ….my old one would do the same thing to me also ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 204 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.