WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Are Sta-Wet pallets firm enough to mix colours?

Do the sponge pads in the Stat-Wet pallets provide a surface firm enough to mix colours with pallet knives?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Re: Are Sta-Wet pallets firm enough to mix colours?

I don't find them to be so I mix on a plastic tray and then knife it onto the pad.
They're great though. I've had some paints stay useable for 10 days.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 PM

What paper do you use? Seems to be something of a controversy online. The paper from Masterson is very expense outside of USA. Many people recommend Reynolds Parchment Paper as a substitute. Some say it doesn't work because it has a silicone-like coating that won't let water pass through.

Found at the Reynolds Kitchens website:

"Our parchment paper rolls are made in France and packaged in the USA, using responsibly sourced wood fibers. We utilize the parchmentizing process to fuse together tightly woven wood pulp fibers in order to create a natural greaseproof, non-stick paper."

https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/pro...t-paper-rolls/

Last edited by DChris : 05-22-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Additional info
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

I used one recently and I found it gave a lot under where I was mixing.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

When I use the stay wet palette, I use the sponge under a glass palette that is smaller than the sponge. I mist the paint before I put the lid on. I can mix on that, but I do most of my mixing on another glass palette and transfer my mixtures to the one in the stay wet box. I have never used the paper.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States

I use the Masterson paper over the sponge and I find it to be rigid enough.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSS
I use the Masterson paper over the sponge and I find it to be rigid enough.

Me too. love it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

You need to put something over it, I read that as you were mixing right on the sponge?
Most people put a peice of paper or parchment on it. I'm a bit rough with my palettes so I cut a peice of plastic with vents (it was a table mat bought at Walmart for 88 cents) to go over the sponge to give it strength then I put a peice of any kind of watercolor on the plastic and mix on that.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Algarve, Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Cheaper & easier to make your own. I use a large Tupperware container with a lid. (with low sides) Cover the bottom of the container with kitchen paper towel (a couple of layers) wet this so it´s damp. Cover this with a layer of greaseproof baking paper & you´re all set to go. Squeeze the paints onto this & keep the lid on when not in use. My paints will stay fresh & workable for a couple of weeks easily.( I usualy spray the paints with a little water befor putting the top on.)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

That is too bad that the sheets are expensive where you live. I haven't found anything I like better as a cover sheet.

One tip I learned here on WC when ready to close up your palette box is to mist the palette with alcohol. Make sure the sponge is plenty saturated with water then do the alcohol and quickly install the lid so the fumes don't evaporate. Put it in the refrigerator until you need it. My palette is going on two months now with ZERO mold and everything inside is still nice and moist. I do a light alcohol mist on the paints but fully wetting some of the areas of the palette with no paint on them. Alcohol won't wreck your paint if you get some on them, but it will make them more runny just like water does if you spray too much.

I don't use the alcohol when painting, just when putting it away, though isopropyl alcohol can make some acrylics soft enough to rework them. I believe it is the only ingredient in the Chroma Atelier Interactive acrylics activating formula, so you can use that safely instead at a substantial savings if you work with the Chroma line.

Last edited by contumacious : 05-24-2019 at 01:07 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySinger
Cheaper & easier to make your own. I use a large Tupperware container with a lid. (with low sides) Cover the bottom of the container with kitchen paper towel (a couple of layers) wet this so it´s damp. Cover this with a layer of greaseproof baking paper & you´re all set to go. Squeeze the paints onto this & keep the lid on when not in use. My paints will stay fresh & workable for a couple of weeks easily.( I usualy spray the paints with a little water befor putting the top on.)

This is almost exactly what I do. Low side large tupperware from the second hand store with a sealable lid. Kitchen parchment paper over the bottom to make clean up easier. Damp paper towel on the parchment paper and paints laid out on that. When I need to change paint, the parchment paper lifts out easily for clean up.

Paint stays workable for a long time. At least a week.

I use a modified version of this for plein air, using a smaller sealable plastic container that was used for take-away pad Thai with the damp paper towel at the bottom.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Last edited by ColinS : 05-24-2019 at 01:13 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

I like the Sta-Wet palette because of their sizes and shapes - not too deep and they fit a back-pack, extra computer case, etc.

The sponge can be replaced, when it's time, by a ShamWow or other synthetic chamois. Heck, a real chamois could be used, but that's kind of expensive. If kept closed for more than a couple days, though, both the sponge or the chamois will often begin to show signs of mold, so open at least daily.

A piece of tempered glass cut smaller than the sponge is fantastic for mixing, but an occasional spritz is needed, but it is also necessary if painting on the absorbent palette paper because the paper does not keep the surface of the paint moist.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I use 1-2" colorshapers to mix paint on stay wet palettes. I bought generic ones at hobby lobby. The silicon desn't tear up the paper and do a better job getting all the paint lifted and throughly mixed.