Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink St. Joseph’s in Mason City, Iowa

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Joel L

This is a drawing of St. Joseph’s in Mason City, IA. It is 20 inches x 14 inches. It is drawn on hot press paper. The photo isn’t so hot, but then that’s pretty much par for me. It is a little wonky in perspective and that the two steeples aren’t the same in real life, it really seems wonky. Comments are welcome.

jtomasella

Looks excellent to me. You seem to have the same problem I do, Being our own worse critic. I really like the trees in the top corners

:clap: :clap: Wonderful! I’ve taken the liberty of screen grabbing this, cropping this the way you intended and removing the “colour”. I find that once an image is too big to scan into my computer, the photograph usually takes on a yellowish tinge. I’m sure your paper was pure white, and that white adds crispness to what is a superb image. I love that you have your verticals verticlal! well done.
            John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

mbankhead

Well done. Very nicely rendered.:thumbsup:

Mark.
                -Don't sweat the small stuff...

Joel L

Thank you, jtomasella! I think I do, from time to time.
                    Thank you, John! I sometimes try to get the crop and white balance taken care of before I post. I’ve been pretty crammed for time recently and been skipping steps. I like the strong verticals of some churches. Especially when contrasted(enhanced?) to what is around them. My cross-hatch is kind of sloppy and weakens the sharpness of the verticals (and horizontals). I think I need to keep this in mind when I choose my subjects. I would have liked to see more of a contrast between building and trees. I think a little cleaner edge in areas would have enhanced that contrast and made the church pop out more. I’m mostly happy with it. It just gave me more ideas for next time.

Thank you for your comments!

Boafamily

I really like the contrast. Very good.

LoganArt

Really nice work. Is it an old church?

C&C always welcome
                            Subhro_86

Really good job.

Subrata
                                Life was beautiful

Joel L

Thank you very much for the comments. I really appreciate them. I’m not sure how old it is. I’m not from around there. (I live about an hour and a half south) I went there once to drop some work off at a gallery and some one told me I should walk around Mason City and look at the architecture. It is a fascinating community. Frank Loyd Wright designed two buildings that are located there as well as a couple other fairly well know architects, I believe. The reference photo I used to draw this from was from 2010,

Joel L

The George Stockman House – 1908 and the City National Bank and Hotel – 1909 (Park Inn, I think it may be called now).

It’s a very good drawing and any (very minor) flaws in the perspective are not really noticeable …….. we are our own strictest critics!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Joel L

Thank you, Maureen! Yes, I believe you are right. It helps when others can find the beauty that we ourselves sometimes over look. I did really enjoy drawing it. Thank you very much.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.