WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 01:22 PM

how to bond layers of wax?

As I understand it cranuba and dammar can be bonded by blow torch between layers.My mix is carnuba and linseed oil am thinking made massive mistake and have made a batch of this stuff ! wanted to layer it to get more depth but reading on line it says you cant get layers to bond with carnuba you are just taking previous layer of each time you apply a new one. What to do? if I now make carnuba and dammar mix instead of using the linseed oil can this go over the top of the carnuba and linseed? can these waxes have a varnish over them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: how to bond layers of wax?

No clue, tidal, sorry!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

I'm an infant of knowledge on the ins and outs of encaustic medium mixes, but found this flickr group that might help you ... one person noted using linseed oil for effects (unspecified) ... another mentioned dabbing off excess oil ... another mentioned carnuba being as hard as concrete ... and google dictates it's most often used, and layered, as car wax

good luck, let us know what you figure out ...

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2019, 05:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

No idea how to answer, but I can say I've never seen encaustics with a varnish. Wax has a glow in and of itself.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 AM

Ditto could not find a definitive answer about it. In general encaustics the bonding is by blow torch.But when it comes to using it with oil paint cold I have seen you tube videos of this but it is not layering of it but tends to be one layer and mixing in different colors due to it's softness and malleability ( a bit like wet on wet) Carnuba does go very hard and is a good top final layer and can be used some prefer instead of a varnish.It would seem staright up pure (bees or carnuba )wax and pigment/oil cold are not good for layering due to bonding of each layer (did try to sand inbetween for tooth for next layer but it just remove the wax as is such a fine layer) It seems best suited for last final layers.Unless I have it wrong be great if someone could impart more info on this.Am looking at adding around 30% wax to oil etc as this can be layered I think