WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, July 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

Ilya, very nice painting, and quite ambitious too, with both colorful fruit and colorful flowers. Well done!

I like your setup. You were able to paint that while standing up? Also, would that Ikea table hold a 17-pound shadowbox? 17 pounds plus whatever items I put inside it, actually. I'd really rather not buy a hydraulic overbed medical table, as those sound awfully heavy, but it sure would be nice to be able to raise and lower my still life stage.

I really should've taken a better photo of my nocturne. But it's so hot today (100 degrees) that I can't go outside during the day, and I'm very reluctant to paint inside someone else's house. So I may just continue work on the same painting tonight and post an updated photo. We'll see.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Ilya, it has been a while since I had some of the white. I had Georgian titanium and also the mixing white. I didn't notice yellowing with them though someone else did apparently .
I have not used Lukas white, but have used many other Lukas colors, they seemed average consistency to me and very good paints. I have been using the student grade Charvin fine oil titanium white and it is on the creamier side, not thick like say my Utrecht white. I got it at a Jerry's store near me.
They stopped carrying Georgians at the Michael's near me so I would have to order it now.
Your still life looks great and your setup looks neat too.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Geoff, Sid, thank you!

The coffee table is quite sturdy. They proudly describe that line, how they make it and how light is it. But I checked - they do not have those small square ones anymore, it seems, only bigger. Maybe on EBay etc.

Yes, I painted standing. The shelf is a bit higher, so the whole is an ideal setup now. The bonus: I can lean with elbows to stabilise my hand when doing details. And there is a small desk lamp hidden behind the easel for a model light.

I just need more weekends for more still lives.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 AM
Enthusiast

July daily painting #22: The great watercolorist Charles Reid enjoyed painting still lifes that captured what people left lying around, rather than still lifes carefully composed by the artist. He would just point his brush at stuff and paint it. So I did that today. I painted my brush at stuff lying on the kitchen table. "Stuff on the kitchen table," oil on panel, 6" x 8."

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
would that Ikea table hold a 17-pound shadowbox? 17 pounds plus whatever items I put inside it, actually. I'd really rather not buy a hydraulic overbed medical table, as those sound awfully heavy, but it sure would be nice to be able to raise and lower my still life stage.

Would a folding ironing board work? I don't know if one would hold that much weight.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:29 AM
Enthusiast

An ironing board might work. Too bad I don't own one! Ours is built into our kitchen wall. But I could always buy another.

July daily painting #23: Again it was too hot to paint outside during the day, so I waited until evening and then took another run at the house across the street. I had more time this evening than I did when I first tried this subject, so the drawing is a bit more careful. Iím getting closer to the look I want, but not there yet.

A big challenge is seeing the canvas and the palette. Sometimes I just couldnít see what I was doing, and I lathered the paint on too thick. I do have a nocturne easel light, but I cleverly left it at home, so I had to make do. Great fun, in any case. "Nocturne," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:49 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Nice ones Geoff. I like the light in the window of the nocturne. This group must be on the same wavelength, because I also started a nocturne the other day too.
These are just starts, both plein air but cut short due to the awful weather. Maybe this week I can get out and work on them some more.

both are 8x10.
The nocturne is the store front of a bar that has these neat red neon lights.
I also have several in progress at the easel but they are not paintings from life.

Ilya, I was wrong Michaels does still sell some Georgians, but they are only in a couple of sets. I was there today getting a couple of things and got a set of ten small tubes of Georgians because my small Charvin tubes are running out and I like to take small tubes out for plein air.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 07-23-2019 at 12:53 PM.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2019, 04:43 PM

Geoff, that's such a warm light coming from the window!

Sid, waiting for the painting at the right. I did two versions of a similar scene, from a photo, but with the second one, stopped unfinished seeing it very sticky (as said above). I think it's a good sign that you are getting more of that paint - I made a good choice. If you are afraid of shortages, it won't be me - I'm in Europe. And I've just found another online store that have them on sale. Thought to stay with three colors but... now fighting the urge to get more.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:12 AM
Enthusiast

I'm also looking forward to seeing the rest of Sid's nocturne. I've never really painted neon, so I'm curious to see how it works out Sid, I don't think it's a coincidence we both decided to do nocturnes: it was too darn hot to paint during the day!

July daily painting #24: Our rented house in Rehoboth Beach looks out on the Rehoboth-Lewes Canal. It was raining all day, but that didnít stop me from setting up under an awning and painting the scene. I wanted a better view of the canal, so I ďprunedĒ a few bushes with my brushes. "Rehoboth-Lewes Canal," oil on linen, 6" x 12."

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:22 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik345
I found that many of my paintings remain sticky when I use linseed oil (all water mixable).

I found the same thing with WMO. People said that I might be happier with Holbein, but I wound up changing back to traditional and itís been great. Fortunately solvent doesnít bother me, but I find that I donít actually use that much anyway.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 02:36 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I tried Holbein and other WMOs. I still use a Cobra Transparent Red Oxide WMO for my initial lay-in, as it's easy to thin it with water. But in general, traditional oils offer more variety and more consistencies to choose from.

July daily painting #25: It was a day at the beach! I sat with my family on busy Rehoboth Beach, and I dug out my oils and sketched the scene in front of me. I didnít want to lug an easel or tripod, so I just had the linen panel and palette on my lap.

Given the challenging circumstance, I wasnít expecting to paint a masterpiece. My plan had been to put in a few basic strokes, photograph the scene, and finish back at the house later. But I got enough done that I decided just to leave it the way I painted it on location. Neither of the two photos below quite does it justice, but they should give you the basic idea. "Rehoboth Beach," oil on linen, 6" x 12."

This first photo turned out strange. I think I inadvertently applied a filter to it while processing it in Camera-Plus, my photo app. Looks cool though.

The second one is closer to the actual look of the picture, but too far the other direction -- not saturated enough. I didn't have the patience to keep taking photos, so this is all I have for now. Might re-photograph when i get home from vacation.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

July daily painting #26: Vacationing is trumping painting, but I still managed time to sketch a couple things, and I started a little oil study. First there was this scene, on the main street in Rehoboth. I drew this in about 10 minutes, while sitting in an outdoor table at a Mexican restaurant. I could see making a painting from this sketch and some photos I took when I get home. "Rehoboth skyline," ink on paper, about 2" x 3."

I also started this little oil sketch of flowers at a swimming pool. Uh, I didnít get to the flowers! So yeah, it needs work. We have one more day here, so maybe Iíll return to it tomorrow. "Flowers at the swimming pool, with no flowers yet!," in progress, oil on linen, 8" x 10."

Just for grins, I wanted to see if I could recreate the mysterious filter I inadvertently added to my beach scene yesterday. Maybe?
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 03:32 AM
Enthusiast

July daily painting #26: I added flowers to the pots, and water to the pool. "Flower pots at the pool," oil on linen, 8" x 10."

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Lord of the Arts

I like that! Flowers at the pool!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

I joined the local plein air group this morning to paint the sunflowers at a local park. Still need to work on this one some, but it will have to be in the studio. It was too hot and sunny to paint more than about 2-3 hours.
Attached Images