WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscatel
ik345, is the second one also from Verona?
moscatel, no, that one is from the hill overlooking Florence. That is the only Tuscan countryside you see if you take a high speed train, as it goes in a tunnel.

I tried few more, just to get used to it. I will post two of them from my tablet, as currently I cannot add images somehow on the PC. I really want to be able to do more in my next vacations. I was jealous to see at least three persons in Uffizi doing sketches, while the crowds were passing by. I made many photos, hoping to paint from them at home in the next months.

As for the museums, it is both funny and sad to see how people do it these days. Too many just rushing by, just to tick the box labeled, ok, Botticelli at Uffizi - done. Some even do not go to see Botticelli, as it is in a side room, going straight. Even shocking - Tizian's Venus di Urbino is seen by almost no one, located one floor below, and after a sign on the stairs showing the way to exit the museum quickly. Folks, I am NOT kidding - I will add the photos, and you can see, it is very likely one can enjoy the company with the beauty and maximum 3-5 people in the room. (I took the photo sitting on a bench across the whole room with no one obscuring the view!) Tell me where the world is going to...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:42 PM

I guess one really starts to appreciate the complexity of the Rape of Sabines when trying to draw. "Oh, look, here's one more leg!" Reminded me as I was drawing my hand, so carried away by the task, that in tne end it got six fingers !

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Thank you ik345, lovely photos and drawings.
Quess what, we both have drawn the same statue! I have drawn in Piazza Signorella the same complicated statue, thanks for reminding me the name I didn't remember. I was seated on the right hand side on the stone benches near wall.
What surprised me about Botticelli's Venus is how small the painting is. Did you see that painting?

I post here my drawing of it. Pencil on sketching paper:

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

Happy Caturday everybooody !!!

This morning we entered a photo of Muffin to a competition to participate a pet movie making. There will be second round and interviews also.

Many faces (re-posting an old photo):
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 09:26 AM

moscatel, thank you, it's really good! And Helps to understand that I should not draw the attention away from the statue, and give only a hint of the background.

I agree, one expects the Birth of Venus to be larger. But: there must be two or more versions of the Adoration of the Magi, the one where he put himself on the right, looking at you very proudly . I saw one really small in Uffizi. But few months ago, a large version was in Munich Kunsthalle.

Last edited by ik345 : 06-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

ik...thanks for the gallery photos, awesome works, and awesome crowd viewing them...

and both ik and Mosc, thanks for sharing your drawings...interesting you both found the same statue to draw!

Muffin, good luck with the show biz career...that is cool...and happy urday!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
...interesting you both found the same statue to draw!
Although this statue is famous I think it's quite surprising we drew the same because there's so much to draw in Florence.

Ik345, It is ok and very interesting that you drew the surrounding piazza also. It's all so beautiful. I was drawing very late in autumn and drawing only the statue my fingers were "frozen" cold so I limited it to the statue only besides as you can see I also run out of paper

Happy Midsummer Day & party to those who celebrate it:

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 AM

Very nice, but you could have waited until I was outside the hut before setting light to it.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 01:18 AM
Lord of the Arts

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

LOL Marc....

mid-week Caturday..

Name:  64998055_2483881468299740_569707796698759168_n.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  17.5 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM

I had to learn, oh once again, that getting hit by a heavy cold is probably more easy in a heatwave than in winter. Luckily it was not during the vacation in Italy. So while recovering, I wanted to do something lighter. Like watercolors. I was thinking about a watercolor exhibition I saw few months ago, and decided to try to handle flowers like I saw there. Just before starting, I looked at a book cover and... I hope you will recognize who was that the book was about...

It's on inexpensive 30x40 cm 300 gms watercolor paper.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... Ongoing 2019

hi Annie.. no I dont consider myself a perceptual painter as most of my work comes from my head.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

hey guys... I am back from vacation in plaster. I had an accident, rushed to hospital and spent three days there after being operated on. complex fracture to my right wrist..

Right now am in pain and very cheesed off.

tomorrow will see how painting left handed goes
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Ik...love the wc....sorry don't know the book, but nice handling of that paint...

Mark, so sorry for your accident, try to see this as an opportunity to develop new skills with your left hand, I have heard that is a great brain exercise, to use the non dominant hand...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Haven't said much for a while...

the other day there was an awesome sunlight phenomena on my painting ...not sure why the light was only focused on the face, but it was...here is my photo capture of that and the original full painting...

Name:  sunlight resize.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  Long Long Way resize.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  102.5 KB

And as there are loads of things happening realize I may not paint again until winter falls again...

In 2 weeks am making my first trip to the Oregon coast...will be about 48 hours but I'm looking forward to the experience...and after that seems I may be settling things in Canada...will see how it all works out...

I don't go in and out of painting mode that readily...so when there are distractions it is less likely to happen...

In the mean time I hope to get some better photos of my recent works...

for those in Canada...Happy Canada Day...and the US, enjoy the upcoming 4th
Becca's Fine Art my blog