Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Old painter here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jnicholes

Hello,

I have not been on in at least a year. Reason being I cant afford new paints due to finances and mental difficulties. I haven’t painted in a year. No joke.

I was going through my garage today and I found all my old canvases I painted on. I used the Bob Ross Wet on Wet technique to paint them. All of them bring memories for me. I found this one, and I wanted to show it.

Seeing this painting makes me want to start painting again. Finances are better, as well as my Mental difficulties, so I may be able to start painting again.

Well, If I can start painting again, I will post my paintings.

Jared

ntl

Welcome back! Finances figure in for many people. I recycle a lot of materials. My main medium is oil paint.
            I gesso (some people use house paint) cardboard or paperboard (food boxes). I’m one of them. I also re-use supports that have been painted on previously. I just pulled out used watercolor paper to do a study, and actually, have a large glass probably from a framed picture that I’ve been doing quick studies on to determine if an idea would work. I scrape the paint off for further use, and re-try. I use used watercolor paper for oil studies, too.
            When you’re ready, purchase some canvas paper or canvases.

Paints and other supplies can sometimes be found at yard and estate sales, from thrift stores, freecycle or craigslist.
            You don’t need a lot of paint to start. Google three colors plus white wet canvas for some ideas. Maybe you still have your old paints, too!
            look at https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561821
            and
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140758

for practice pieces, you could buy oil paintings from thrift stores, dust them off, and after preparing them with oil gesso or a layer of oil, do studies on them.
            Best wishes!

enelram

Glad you are thinking about painting again. Your painting is very charming and shows quite a lot of potential. I find that when I paint it calms me down and I feel very relaxed in spite of life’s turmoil, so please give it another shot. As far as finances go, Michale’s craft stores carry inexpensive but good oil paints and if you join their mail list, many times you can get 20-30% off your purchase as well as a 50% coupon on a non-sale item. Shop around because deals are out there. Also at Michael’s you can get 5 or 10 pack canvases at a great deal. Good luck.

ilya K

Jared, you’ve got great skills, and it will be pity not to develop further. I understand, it is not easy if you are going through difficult period. Maybe try simpler things. Still life is simpler for me. Pick any glass or cup, try it. In the hall of fame subforum, there are two or three oil from life threads with members painting daily. You will be surprized to see how simple things can look when painted!

Ilya K
                    C&C always welcome

RogueRipple

Welcome back Jared! Some great ideas for painting economically here. It’s good therapy, keep at it.

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

Tony11214

I got a kick out your old Bob Ross painting! I can see that you had fun doing it.

I remember hearing that Picasso’s had a “blue period” where he painted only with cheap blue paint because (if I remember correctly) he was having financial problems. He kept his skills up, and got better, using inexpensive painting supplies.

Why don’t you get some cheap cheap cheap student grade oil paint, use whatever brushes are handy, and pant on whatever you can find – just for the fun of it? This way you can scratch out quick paintings whenever you have a little time, just the same way you may doodle on a scrap of paper with a pen when you’re bored.

I saw a youtube video where they showed how you can use any paper you happen to have around to paint on. You get some cheap interior latex house paint and paint both sides of a sheet of paper; first one side, let it set, and then paint the other side. By painting both sides the paper won’t curl up on you.

Buy hardware store paint thinner, and boiled linseed oil to use with your student grade paints.

This way, for very little money you’ll have enough supplies to last you for years!

And by painting inexpensively you can paint a lot of fast paintings and get very very good, very very fast. Really.

Tony11214

Oh yes…

You will need only 5 STUDENT GRADE colors; Ultramarine Blue (Dark blue), a Cad Yellow type color (a medium yellow), a Cad red type color (deep red), white, and Brunt Sienna or Burnt Umber (dark brown). That is all. Five (5).

jnicholes

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually just found my sisters old paint set. Its an oil set and it has brushes, paints, a pallete, and even linseed oil. She is letting me have it. I can start painting again!

Jared

Zippoah

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually just found my sisters old paint set. Its an oil set and it has brushes, paints, a pallete, and even linseed oil. She is letting me have it. I can start painting again!

Jared

Dude! Awesome!

PhuongMy

Keep painting, Jnicholes.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.