WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:20 AM
23290, France

Hails from France
Storage solutions for tubes of acrylic paint

Does anyone have useful suggestions for storing my tubes of acrylic paint so that I can access the ones I want easily?
I currently put them into an aluminium tool box, arranged in ziploc bags for each colour. This makes it really hard to find the right colour.
When I'm painting at my art class or outside I usually choose half a dozen or so tubes relating to what I plan to paint and I often do that at home. (My art stuff is in my barn which is freezing cold in winter so I work in the kitchen in front of the fire.)
All I want is to find the tubes I need easily!!!!!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying life.

Margaret
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States
Re: Storage solutions for tubes of acrylic paint

Hope your paint doesn't freeze. Not good for the texture.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Not sure if this helps, but this is my workstation solution. The cabinet cost $15 at Habitat Restore, the lamp reflects off the ceiling to illuminate the palette space. The plywood is scrap from a project.

By the way, if there's a Habitat in your area building affordable homes for first-time buyers, check them out. Volunteers and donations are always welcome.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Mine are in a three tier stand of baskets bought at the local supermarket bathroom dept. and sorted by hue ... the earth colours go in with the yellows! When painting, I separate the ones I need into a tray, or just near the mixing palette and move the stand to oneside. It's the most convenient system for me and the space.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Europe

I have the transparent plastic tops/covers of Copic sets where I store my acrylic tubes upright, they do not fall over I can carry them from room to room easy.

(My teen daughter has/uses 2 very big sets of Copics and donated me the tops)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States

I'm with Maureen on this. I usually select the paints I need prior to beginning so I have them separated from the start. Otherwise they are all helper skelter in a tray.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Cliff has a good idea. I use pegboard instead of solid wood. Can rearrange on the board as needed. Do the same for plein aire but use the board horizontally with S-shaped hooks thru the edge holes on which to hang the tubes. If the tubes do not already have holes, I use binder clips on the crimped ends.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

It sounds like you want something portable. It also sounds like you might have too many colours. lol. Maybe think about cutting back.

Bags would be awkward. If the tubes can fit standing up in the box you have, what if you make some dividers for it and arrange them upright.

I use a little bathroom cart for my painting supplies, but I'm always working in my craft room.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:41 PM

I have too many varying tubes and bottles of paint to fit neatly in a cupboard or box, and most won't hang on pegs. So I bought an organizer for shoes that hangs on the back of a door; it has clear vinyl pockets so I can see the contents. I have some large bottles and jars that won't fit in them, but all the "cluttery" small containers do.

I keep my field kit in a zip-lock bag; it stays in the old nylon briefcase I use as my traveling "studio". For that, I use a limited palette to save space and reduce weight (though it's still nine colors). Those tubes always stay in the bag and are separate from the paint I use at home; that way, I can just grab the bag and go, without having to pack and unpack it each time.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
23290, France

Hails from France

Thanks for all your tips.
At the weekend I counted my tubes and found I had 54, varying in size from Liquitex to the large Sennelier beauties. I was chatting to my neighbour in the bakers on Sunday morning. She mentioned that one of the seconds shops the local town was selling off its stock before moving premises. Of course I couldn't resist.
I discovered some storage boxes, 4 x 40 x 20 cm, reduced to 2 euros because they had no lids. I snapped up 6 of them. Now all of my tubes are arranged neatly. I don't paint in the barn in winter. Normally what I do is
select my colours in advance and take them to wherever I am working.
Incidentally I've never had any problem with the temperature in the barn. The windows don't get frost inside them which is more than I say for the inside of the bedroom window at home when I was a child !
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Pittsburgh, PA

Hails from United States

I use shelves personally. Line them all up in a neat little row. I don't think the plastic bags that you use are really necessary, as long as the caps are on tight. For travel I use a tool box.

You shouldn't let you paints freeze, as it will likely ruin them. Most tubes give you a general suggested storage temperature range.

Painting Tutorials, and other creative content to inspire you, every week on my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/Cinderblockstudios
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

I have a large tote box and rummage for colours. I am not that organized, except when I am working on a piece. The colours in use are placed in a basket for easy access.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

I keep all tubes in shallow, plastic containers with lids, sorted by type. I label the fronts of the containers, and stack them on shelves. Being able to stack and store them this way, in shallow containers, gives me the maximum usage of my storage space, while still having easy access to find individual colors. It also helps to keep warm colors on one side of the bin and cool on the other, in terms of finding what you're looking for. These are Golden Open. I have other bins for traditional fast drying acrylic, oil paints, alkyds, etc. I keep the ones I'm currently using in a separate bin or container (which you can see on the left) so I don't have to go searching while I'm painting, and I stash the rest away.

Another good option is to put them into one of those over-the-door shoe storage hangers, which has sleeves for shoes that you can use for paint tubes. You can sort in those sleeves by type and color. That doesn't work if you have hundreds of tubes to store, but it can work for your most-used colors or if you don't have as many. Personally, I prefer having them lie flat like in the photo.