WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:52 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

Stay Wet Palette

I make my own stay wet palettes. One problem I had was that when using any type of paper (grease proof etc), was that paint mixing with a palette knife, which is what I use, caused the paper to crumple/stretch losing the flat surface. I made a similar palette for my oil paints, but I used a piece of glass for the mixing base in that one. I was looking for an alternative to the paper for my acrylics palette. I found a box of 'old' copier (not inkjet) plain overhead projector transparencies and tried a sheet from the box. Brilliant - it stayed flat and smooth. They are quite low cost, as most people who use them have gone over to inkjet printing now.

Also. I do not use a sponge to keep the moist atmosphere. I went to a garden centre and purchased some 'irrigation/capillary' matting (the sort they place under plants). You can buy it in any length you want and cut it to size for the palette you use. You can wash it and wring-it-out if needed and it stores easily rolled-up.

I hope you find the above interesting.

autolisp
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM

Re: Stay Wet Palette

I'm not sure I understand this exactly. Is the overlay transparency paper water proof? And if so, how does the moisture mat underneath work? Thanks for sharing.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB29
I'm not sure I understand this exactly. Is the overlay transparency paper water proof? And if so, how does the moisture mat underneath work? Thanks for sharing.

It is a thin transparent 'plastic' sheet in A4 size (you can buy A3 but it is expensive). The wet matting underneath keeps the atmosphere within the palette 'damp' which retard the drying of acrylic paints.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

What do you store the palette in to keep the atmosphere humid?
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2017, 01:54 AM

DIY or store-bought: use distilled water to avoid mold growing on your paints. (tip I overheard from a Blick employee)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Carol
What do you store the palette in to keep the atmosphere humid?

Hello. I just store it in my 'painting/working/office' room. Normal house temperatures here in the U.K. Because the OHP transparency is smaller than the palette. The 'exposed' wet capillary mat keeps the atmosphere humid. The lid of the palette is a good fit.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2017, 10:31 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sounds like a good update to our previous versions!
Thanks autolisp.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2017, 06:17 PM

The DIY info I have suggests ordinary kitchen parchment paper instead, which is I gather semi-permeable. I don't think you want totally waterproof, as you want the paints to stay damp while you are painting and the box is open.
BTW, I bought a Sta-Wet just to test it out and find that it works extremely well!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

Have you tried paint mixing with a palette knife on kitchen paper? I did and it loses it's flat surface and stretches, even good quality paper does this. I find that the paints stay usable with the plastic sheet even with the top open while I am working. If you find them drying just add a spray of water occasionally (that is what Jerry Yarnell does and he has a piece of plate glass in his palette).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the tips. I find the replacement inserts too expensive. I also tried baking parchment but frustrated with wrinkling. Will try your method for sure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2017, 04:26 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

One other advantage I forgot to mention in my original post was that you can wash the 'old' paint from your plastic palette by rinsing it under some water. That means you many only need one sheet, no matter how many changes of paint colours you do, instead of having to replace every paper palette every time you discard or change the colours.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Wiltshire. U.K.

I should also mention that you could laminate a piece of coloured paper as I mentioned in a previous post, (maybe in the oils forum), so you can assess you colours against a coloured undersheet. The lamination pouch should give the same degree of wear as the transparency sheets.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM

I've been using PLASTIC - as opposed to paper - plates and they have the same advantages as the transparencies. When not painting to keep paints wet (and you can do this with the transparency or glass palette as well) place a shallow tray, or pot lid, etc over the colors on your palette. Glue a sponge - (like the cheap thin ones used for kitchen cleanup) to the inside of the lid and keep it moist. This set-up acts like an upside-down stay-wet palette and preserves your colors while keeping them at the ready.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
I've been using PLASTIC - as opposed to paper - plates and they have the same advantages as the transparencies. When not painting to keep paints wet (and you can do this with the transparency or glass palette as well) place a shallow tray, or pot lid, etc over the colors on your palette. Glue a sponge - (like the cheap thin ones used for kitchen cleanup) to the inside of the lid and keep it moist. This set-up acts like an upside-down stay-wet palette and preserves your colors while keeping them at the ready.

You don't really need the sponge. Just squirt a few drops of water on the lid. You will need to repeat the squirting every day, though.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Speaking of keeping thinks wet - I misplaced my beloved spray bottle and I can't find a replacement that has a super-fine spray that I want for painting.
Any suggestions appreciated.