WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Re: Alternative to canvas?

[quote=Stumblefingers]Tried Yupo, had adhesion problems, probably caused by touching the surface.
------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe the Yupo down with water or alcohol first. Also do not dilute paints more than 10-15% with water - use glazing medium. I have been painting exclusively with Yupo for over 10 years - NEVER had a problem from just touching Yupo - although I have heard stories. But then I paint with acrylics and gesso first.

Once gessoed you are painting on gesso not the Yupo. This is true for just about any surface - once gessoed you are painting on gesso not the underlying support. The support affects the textural qualities of the first layers of gesso - after that it is paint on paint.

If you want a unique crazy painting experience paint on bare Yupo - you will think you are back in first grade doing finger paints. If you want a traditional experience gesso first.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend

the auto industry?......did you ever look under the auto and see the RUST?.....and over here, Ford has a new aliuminum F-150 truck...

at the beach, surrounded by salt water, most boat hulls are aluminum....

you can have all the suppositions in the world about aluminum...I've utilizes it and love painting on it...and probably did that before most of you were born!...
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Avenger
I messaged a company that sells Yupo as they send a free sample out. I left my email and they got back in touch but said Yupo isnt suitable for acrylic?
----
Interesting...it says right on the packaging that it can be used for acrylics...

There are hundreds of youtube videos etc. people mostly using watercolor, fluid acrylics, inks on Yupo. I have Yupo paintings over ten years old that look like the day I painted them. I have works on canvas from that era that have mold on the back, paintings on MDF that have warped.. Not saying those supports are bad - just saying.

I store paintings both rolled and flat -I paint mostly on the large side- 40inx30in and 30"x20" - one reason I switched to Yupo is that storing paintings of that size even on 1/4" panel gets unwieldy (not to mention expensive)- and forget mailing. With Yupo I just roll it up and send it in a tube.

There is a (short) learning curve with Yupo- My suggestion is to buy a small pad of Yupo at your local art store. Wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any oils. Try painting on it bare, and try gessoed. If you like painting on a smooth surface I think you will like it.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefingers
Tried Yupo, had adhesion problems, probably caused by touching the surface.

If you're worried about aluminum, better not fly because it's the main airframe material.

Don't know why you wouldn't use hardboard. I've done peel tests with Liquitex gesso on unsanded hardboard with no adhesion problems.

Planes use duraluminum, not simple aluminum and they are coated with THICK really THICK paints made specially to work into aluminum. Thsoe paitns are applied with pulverization to avoid ANY scratching . Aluminum is simply the most reactive solid at ambient temperatures that exist on earth. You may be lucky of not ever put a paint that reacts with it in contact with no n oxided part, but you might someday make a tiny scratch with the brush that removed the oxided prat while depositing paint.. and some time later you will have an unpredictable effect on the paint.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
the auto industry?......did you ever look under the auto and see the RUST?.....and over here, Ford has a new aliuminum F-150 truck...

at the beach, surrounded by salt water, most boat hulls are aluminum....

you can have all the suppositions in the world about aluminum...I've utilizes it and love painting on it...and probably did that before most of you were born!...

Yet the chemistry that proves that aluminum is the most reactive solid on earth is even older than anyone alive in the world. There is a reason most modern explosives are made with aluminum...
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

See this table, is in order of how strong is the reaction,
now think which of those metals you can find commercially in a plate? And place them in the table... enjoy
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 AM
A Local Legend

agree...all this 'talk' about aluminum makes one want to 'explode'...

the manufacturers of these panels would not put them on the market without extensive testing.....
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 AM
A Local Legend

and Yupo has been around for many, many years..it was originally utilized by water colorist.....but it's polypropylene....which has a limited life....as most plastics...the best shelf life would be HDPE (around 50 years), but acrylic will not stick to that ....I utilize it as a palette material..

if you want something that has a estimated 200 year life, paint on 'linen'...it can be rolled up also.....
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Wilmington NC

Hails from United States

Glass and wood are two things that come to mind. Aluminum too just make sure you paint a protective rust proof paint on it first and all of the issues people mentioned won't matter (ie how they paint cars).
Prints: https://www.etsy.com/shop/raymepartistry
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

Am I the only member who is wondering why anyone would even think of using aluminium when there are more suitable materials available ?
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM

The Yupo guy sent some Teslin samples out. I've not had a chance yo do anything on it yet but I've had a feel and it seems very smooth and durable. Has anyone used telling before? Pros?cons?
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Do you have any info on size available for Teslin and pricing?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
and Yupo has been around for many, many years..it was originally utilized by water colorist.....but it's polypropylene....which has a limited life....as most plastics...:

Actually just about everything has a "limited life" Since reading your post i have been doing due diligence to find out the life expectancy of Yupo. Polypropylene pipes are rated at 100+ years, polypropylene bags 450+ years - Yupo paper? Still trying to get a definitive answer...
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 02:20 PM

I've made a bit of an error. I emailed for a sample they sent several samples out. I've checked the pricing and they only do bulk orders. I.e 250 units. The biggest size they do is. 640 mm X 900. Il have to look for another supplier.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
A Local Legend

who did those ratings?..... the best known plastic for pipe is HDPE...high density polyethylene.....it's utilized for natural gas piping systems in all major cities and towns .....and that has to be good because of the nature of the material being transported.....and HDPE life is estimated to be around 50 years...