WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Wisconsin

Help! Safety Concern re: glass blowing...

Hi Glass Artists!
I'm not normally in this neck of the WetCanvas woods, but I need some help! I am an oil painter in an artists' co-op. My new studio neighbor - a glass blower - seems to be a really nice guy. I was fine with the new addition to our 13 member artistic colony. Well, yesterday, he invited me into his studio space to see how he works. It was going fine, until I realized he has big propane and O2 tanks right against our "shared wall" which is only a partial wall made of OSB board. I stand at my easel right on the other side of that wall! Let's just say it unnerved me to realize that I work literally only 5 ft away from these tanks - and that all my gear and artwork is within 15 feet of these tanks.

I'm not a glass artist, so maybe it's safer than it looks - cuz I am totally freaking out right now. I didn't say anything at the time, but I truly don't feel safe. I just can't imagine that this meets fire code standards? Anyway, before I continue my freakout - or talk to him and/or the building owner - I would like to get my ducks in a row and ask you guys if this is dangerous or OK?? I am attaching 2 pics of "the situation". (sorry the tank picture is sideways - the tanks are actually upright)

I would really appreciate any and all input. I don't even know enough about this to assess my risk - other than I was always told the propane grill MUST remain outside! HELP! Cathryn
Attached Images

Last edited by Marmite : 08-27-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: explaining the sideways photo
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Murrieta, California

Hails from United States
Re: Help! Safety Concern re: glass blowing...

I don't see anything dangerous in the pics - his hoses are secure - his tanks are secure and he has excellent ventilation - along with pressure gauges and flash back arrestors - nothing in these pics shows a red flag for the fire marshall. His equipment looks top-notch - like over $10,000 top notch - so I would talk to him if you are concerned, because it looks like he knows what he is doing. When I lived in Italy they used the same tanks in their homes for their stoves - each stove had a hidden compartment with room for the tank - never had an issue.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Wisconsin

Thank you for your response!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:34 AM
Murrieta, California

Hails from United States

I hope things are going well for you and your neighbor