Home Forums Percent of female artists in your country or region?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

From 1865 and 1895 the landscape painter Vilhelm Kyhn ran the School of Drawing and Painting for Women in Copenhagen. Women were not allowed into the Royal Academy of Arts until 1908, and even then not allowed to draw or paint the nude until sometime in the 1920s.

Anna Archer attended Vilhelm Khyn’s school for women from 1875-78. Khyn sent a letter to Anna Archer after she gave birth to her first child –

“On a day with strong wind, you should go down to the beach, and put your paint box among the wild waves and let it sail away. Go home to your child and promise it that you will be a good mother. You can hardly achieve this through the arts, and raising a child to become a good person, is a greater task than painting one. There are enough painters, some better than others, but there will never be too many good mothers to raise the generations.”

Of non-living artists, women take up 3.6% of the works in Danish collections. So 96,4% of the works are by men. Of living artists, women take up around 20% of the artworks in Danish collections. Still a long way to go. How is it where you live?

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        stlukesguild

The disparity between the number of women vs men in art galleries and museums is a complex issue. Obviously, when dealing with art museums that collect art from across the scope of history and cultures you have the fact that even in the West… until the late 19th century, with few exceptions, women were not afforded the right to attend art schools and receive the sort of training needed for success in the arts. If a museum collection is made up of art from across the centuries you are not going to get a high percentage of art in the collection as a whole created by a group of artists only really active for the last 150 years. Then you need to consider what percentage of female artists are we likely to find in other non-Western cultures… and what percentage of art by unknown or anonymous artists… fiber artists, book artists, etc… were possibly by female artists?

Today in the US women account for 60-75% of the students in art schools and art education programs. The percentage drops to 50% when speaking of students earning an MFA. At that percentage one might expect women to account for some 50% of the artists being exhibited in galleries and museums, but the percentage is actually closer to 30%. Of course, success in any endeavor isn’t always aligned with the number of individuals of a given sub-group: women, African Americans, Muslims, Blondes with Blue Eyes, etc… Galleries tend to exhibit the artists whose work they believe they can sell. You can’t force the wealthy collectors to purchase a certain ratio of art by each sub-group according to the percentage of the population or even just the percentage of active artists they represent.

The artist, Marina Abramović, stated that she purposely avoided having children in order to maintain her career. Abramović says, “In my opinion that’s the reason why women aren’t as successful as men in the art world. There’s plenty of talented women. Why do men take over the important positions? It’s simple. Love, family, children—a woman doesn’t want to sacrifice all of that.” In part this explains the drop from the percentage of women in BFA programs to MFA graduates. A good percentage of women choose family and children over the difficulties of an art career… often electing for more assured careers such as teaching art at the public school level. One such artist who immediately comes to mind is Lee Bontecou. Her early works were every bit as daring and innovative…

as any of her male peers of the 1960s such as Robert Rauschenberg. With the 1970s she withdrew from the art world in order to raise a family. She exhibited rarely and took a job teaching at Brooklyn College.

It has been suggested that many collectors are unwilling to take a chance upon female artists, worried that their work will drop in value when they choose to raise a family and cut back upon their art career efforts.

Personally, I follow the work of literally hundreds of female artists (along with artists from Japan, India, etc…) frequently posting their works here. Perhaps everyone should make a concerted effort to follow and show the work of artists of every gender, culture, religion, etc…

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
            "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
            "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

La_

If my local, small town arts society is any indication of accurate stats, it’s membership has typically been about 80% female.
                Paint nights we’ve held over the years have also been predominantly attended by women.
                Hobby artists we are tho, none are professional by definition.

The One full time successful professional artist, living here, is male and he’s the only one with a professional studio/gallery open to the public (by appointment). He’s known across (and beyond?) the country and his story is quite unique (he hung out with the group of seven for a bit.)

I don’t think we can compare now to 1865, too many things are too different and my country is very young, my community has only been around since the 50’s, too young to be more than a tiny blip on the art scales.

la

AllisonR

The artist, Marina Abramović, stated that she purposely avoided having children in order to maintain her career. Abramović says, [I]“In my opinion that’s the reason why women aren’t as successful as men in the art world. There’s plenty of talented women. [B]Why do men take over the important positions? It’s simple. Love, family, children—a woman doesn’t want to sacrifice all of that.”[/B][/I] In part this explains the drop from the percentage of women in BFA programs to MFA graduates. [B]A good percentage of women choose family and children over the difficulties of an art career… often electing for more assured careers such as teaching art at the public school level. [/B]One such artist who immediately comes to mind is Lee Bontecou. Her early works were every bit as daring and innovative…

bolding mine. The same percentage of men chose family and children AND their art career. Seems men can have it all. Only women are forced to chose between having family and children OR an art career. It is unacceptable for a woman to do both, because she won’t be a good enough mother, parent, wife…. because the art will take up her time. Meanwhile the men can leave the parenting to the woman and have the time for their art career.

stlukesguild

Interestingly enough, two of my former studio mates are an inverted example of the artist surrendering their career to raising a family. Both are male artists who married wealthier women and then abandoned their art careers to stay at home and raise the kids. Perhaps even more unusual is the fact that both are Asian, coming from a highly patriarchal where it is expected the man supports the family financially. Both could easily afford babysitters and daycare in order to spend time in the studio painting… but I got the feeling from both that to do so would be shameful.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

brianvds

Interestingly enough, two of my former studio mates are an inverted example of the artist surrendering their career to raising a family. Both are male artists who married wealthier women and then abandoned their art careers to stay at home and raise the kids. Perhaps even more unusual is the fact that both are Asian, coming from a highly patriarchal where it is expected the man supports the family financially. Both could easily afford babysitters and daycare in order to spend time in the studio painting… but I got the feeling from both that to do so would be shameful.

For every successful career artist, there are probably a hundred or more living in poverty. A woman would be daft to marry such a man and then think he’s going to support her and the kids.

And all those men who “have it all”? They don’t. If you focus on your career, either you do not have kids, or you have a partner (of whatever gender) who focuses on raising the kids, or (unfortunately more and more often) you have severely neglected kids.

We must not confuse equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. I don’t think anyone of whatever color, sex, sexual orientation or whatever else actually faces severe discrimination in the west anymore. But different people do make different choices. Men, for example, tend to be far more reckless than women, and far more willing to take insane risks. The inevitable outcome of that is that a small number of them have insane success, whereas huge numbers of them end up failing. The bulk of the homeless or prison or alcoholic population of western countries consists of men, but I don’t see anyone complaining about that.

I don’t either, because this situation is an inevitable outcome of the choices people make. I’m a textbook case: while I don’t have kids and never wanted any, I still threw caution to the winds. I gave up money, health insurance, retirement benefits, social status and whatever else for the opportunity to do art full time. I live a precarious existence under conditions which many westerners would describe as poverty.

If I ever do achieve big time success, my work will suddenly be all over the place, and then you can be sure some comfortably off professor of gender studies, who never took a risk in her life, will tell all who want to hear how unfair this is and how I’m part of a conspiracy to suppress her.

The percentage of female artists currently working on southern Vancouver Island is probably close to par with men.

(Just did a quick count of the original paintings & limited edition prints in my home and it came out just about even: 10 by men; 9 by women artists.)

Historically, the most famous local artist from around here is Emily Carr. There is a university in Vancouver named for her and, apparently, a crater on Venus.

The very unscientific Wikipedia page on artists “from Victoria” also appears to be pretty evenly split along gender lines.

So, I would say that in my immediate area, and even provincially, there is probably as good a gender balance among recognized artists as can be expected.

By way of postscript, on the experience of being a young woman art student in Paris, Carr wrote:

[INDENT]I asked Mr. Gibb’s advice as to where I should study. “Colarossi,” he replied. “At Colarossi’s men and women students work together. At Julien’s the classes are separate. It is often a distinct advantage for women students to see the stronger work of men.”—Mr. Gibb had not a high opinion of the work of women artists.[/INDENT][INDENT]The first month at Colarossi’s was hard. There was no other woman in the class; there was not one word of my own language spoken. The French professor gabbled and gesticulated before my easel—passed on. I did not know whether he had praised or condemned. I missed women; there was not even a woman model.[/INDENT]

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

In my totally unscientific survey of art classes, I found that commercial art classes are predominately attended by women. My last class, online 100 ‘drawings’ on cheap paper, had 43 students of which myself and one other were male, judging by the forenames the students identified them selves by. I find a similar disparity in photographs of art classes.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                            blog.jlk.net

Michaelshane

This is flawed question.
                                What percentage of artists?
                                Working artists ?Hobby artists?
                                Full time working artists are probably pretty equal men and women.Painting as a hobby I would think mostly women.

Someday everything is going to be different,when I paint my masterpiece.
                                Bob Dylan.

thevaliantx

As a transgender woman, I wonder what percentage of the art world is comprised of people like me.

EnPassant

Creativity for women often means child rearing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this is what women should do, but it is often what they choose to do. Many women find that child rearing fulfills their creativity. Men don’t have a maternal instinct. Men’s creativity is often in the world. They build bridges, houses, machines etc. Men need creativity as well as women but women’s ‘default’ is in childrearing. Men’s default is in the world at large. If a woman finds creative fulfilment in child rearing she is not likely to go looking for it in the world. But men must. In fact, a lot of men’s plight these days is because the world no longer provides for their creativity.

Having said that, some women seem to need creativity outside marriage and child rearing. Some don’t. But men are in a different position, it is almost imperative for men to find creativity in the world. Which may explain why men are more likely to become scientists, mathematicians engineers etc.

__________________________________________________________
                                        The opposite of a great truth can be another great truth
                                        ~ Niels Bohr.

ronsu18

the percentage of women in art here in this part of the land is 80+. art is not a real thing, as it is useless for survival. music is infinitely more important, always has been, and traditional folk musicians have a standing in society. pop musicians, not so much.

creativity can be about functionality. it is also a connection, a relationship, with a higher plane of existence. the men experience this through (solitude in) nature; hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing jogging. the women ascend in friendships, in language, in social exchange.

C&C welcome

AllisonR

Child rearing is not creative, it’s just a lot of hard work. A lot of monotony. It’s maybe 1% creative. I still needed art outside of child rearing. But with a two year old and a newborn on my breast 24/7 there was NO.TIME.LEFT for painting, or even quick sketching. Now that the children are older, I have made the time for art again. But I lost quite a few years there.

This is flawed question.
                                                What percentage of artists?
                                                Working artists ?Hobby artists?
                                                Full time working artists are probably pretty equal men and women.Painting as a hobby I would think mostly women.

I gave very concrete examples.

Non-living artists:
                                                women make up 3.6% of the artworks in Danish collections.
                                                men 96,4%.

Living artists:
                                                women make up around 20% of the artworks in Danish collections
                                                men 80%.

And for a less concrete example, I am in several Danish art groups. One has 150 members, about 4 are men. One has 70 members, 3 are men. The most professional country-wide one I am not sure but I think more, perhaps 20-25% are men. And I also belong to one group which is specifically for women, so obviously 100% women. However, when I go to galleries and museums, I see exactly the reverse – most of the works are by men, both living and dead.

Dcam

Allison: I don’t get out to the galleries and museums as much as I used to,but I enjoy viewing the fabulous works of current women artists in the better art periodicals. There are a ton of them and always inspiring.
                                                    There are quite a few women plein air artists that knock my socks off.

brianvds

Child rearing is not creative, it’s just a lot of hard work. A lot of monotony. It’s maybe 1% creative.

The same could be said for art: 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. :evil:

__________________________
                                                        http://brianvds.blogspot.co.za/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.