Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Printmaking resources in type – contributions from printers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    bridog

In another thread I brought up the idea of starting a list of books, manuals, etc….that many of us have in our personal libraries…everyone is encouraged to contribute if they desire
        I decided to get the ball rolling with listing several from my collection of art books (including author and ISBN so others can source it from libraries and book sellers if they choose).
        I will follow Diane’s lead with something like the printmaking techniques list and update the list as contributed titles are posted

1. The Complete Manual of Relief Printmaking – Clemson & Simmons – ISBN #0394568532

2. The Encyclopedia of Printmaking Techniques – Judy Martin – ISBN #1561382108

3. Etching and other Intaglio Techniques – Manly Banister – ISBN #0822602865

4. Screenprinting: Water-based techniques – Roni Henning – ISBN #0823056449

5. The Complete guide to screen printing – Brad Faine – ISBN #0891345442

6. Printmaking for beginners – Jane Stobart – ISBN #0823043800

7. Printmaking in the Sun – Dan Welden & Pauline Muir – ISBN #0823042928

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

drowningcreek

The only screen printing book anyone really needs:

[em]Screen Printing Today…the Basics[/em] by Andy McDougall

http://www.gigposters.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=3043&pre=1

Andy’s web site if you are in Canada: http://www.squeegeeville.com

bridog

thanks drowningcreek
                amazing artwork (posters) in your site
                nice to see concert poster original artwork is still alive & well and being printed using screen method

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

drowningcreek

Thanks, Bridog!

There’s been a huge resurgence in hand printed concert art. Gigposters.com is where most of the contemporary artists hang out. There are some great DIY instructional threads there on building exposure units, other screen printing equip. and making separations. Also a lot of discussions on using everything from housepaint to commercial inks to print.

Katka

Two books I’ve found helpfull are:

Handmade Prints – Anne Desmet and Jim Anderson – ISBN 0-7136-7708-2
                        Simple Printmaking – Gwen Diehn – ISBN 1-57990-312-6

Originality is nothing but judicious imitation. (Voltaire)

the blue chisel (blog)
                        blue chisel studio (website)

I have been reading the Handmade Prints you listed Kaska and it is excellent – for making beautiful prints from everyday stuff.very inspirational

Robin
                        The mediator between head and hands must
                        be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                        http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Not printmaking specific, but important for every artist.

Art and Fear – Bayles and Orland ISBN- 0-88496-379-9

dandan

anyone ever read The Art Spirit by Robert Henri? Not really about printmaking, but some great art thoughts.

Yes, dandan, that was my bible in the 70’s, still valid today. My first watercolour teacher had studied with him in NY. Unfortunately I lent it to someone and I don’t remember who :eek: I see that it is still in print, though, so will have to replace it.

Cheers, Lynn
                            www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
                            "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

dandan
                                johngibbons

One of my lads sent this book on Saturday. I have not gone thorough the book but it is very good.
                                    It’s – Monoprinting – Jachie Newell & Dee Whittington – A & C Black, London – ISBN-10: 0-7136-6746-X OR
                                    ISBN-13: 978-07136-6746-2
                                    JohnGibbons

bridog

several years back during a rough time in my life I discovered a book by the title of:
                                        The Artist’s Way: A spiritual path to higher creativity by Julia Cameron
                                        It was one of the best investments I ever made and helped me to overcome artist’s block not to mention help boost self-confidence in my creative efforts
                                        I highly recommend this book to anyone possessing any kind of creative nature
                                        Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons
                                        ISBN 0-87477-694-5

ainesse

I recently purchased “Intaglio” by Carol Robertson and Robert Adam (Thames and Hudson) and its very good and up to date with info on acrylic etch collagraph and etching amonst other things…….. very practical. I would definitly reccommend it.

:cat:

Katka

several years back during a rough time in my life I discovered a book by the title of:
                                                The Artist’s Way: A spiritual path to higher creativity by Julia Cameron

I also have this book and fully agree with Brian. It’s very inspiring and has a large following.

Originality is nothing but judicious imitation. (Voltaire)

the blue chisel (blog)
                                                blue chisel studio (website)

ploverwing

Here are some that I have on the bookshelf, or have got out of the library:

The Complete Printmaker – John Ross, Clare Romano, Tim Ross[/B], ISBN 0-02-927371-4 (or paperback ISBN 0-02-927372-2) Pretty good all-round printmaking technique book, from intaglio, to relief, collagraph to lithograph to serigraph.

Monotype: Mediums and Methods for Painterly Printmaking – Julia Ayres[/B], ISBN 0-8230-3128-4. Fantastic and inspiring.

The Tamarind Book Of Lithography: Art & Techniques – Garo Z. Antreasian[/B]. I don’t have the ISBN, but if you do litho, this is a must for the studio. Out of print, so you need to look for it through ABE, or used art book sources.

Stone Lithography – Paul Croft[/B], ISBN 0823049248. A nice summary of techniques, tools & methodology, with some updated techniques since Tamarind book (which was published in the 1970s).

The Woodcut Artist’s Handbook: Techniques and Tools for Relief Printmaking – George A. Walker[/B], ISBN 1554070457. I like a lot of the images in here for inspiration, especially for wood engraving.

Paint Red Hot Landscapes that Sell – Mike Svob[/B], ISBN 1-929834-18-7. While not a printmaking book, he’s got some good points to make about composition, and some good exercises to do while thinking about composition.

The Painter’s Keys – Robert Genn[/B], ISBN 1-55056-479-X Again, not a printmaking book, but he shares some interesting thoughts on all manner of topics that might interest artists in general.

[FONT=Century Gothic]Amie Roman, AFCA
                                                    Burnishings - Blog on Printmaking * Burnishings - ploverwing on Etsy * Printmaking on Squidoo

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"
                                                    [/COLOR]
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.