WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States
Self-Portrait: End of the Day

I’ve always found that the better I know a person the harder it is to do a portrait of that person. It seems that my mind “knows” what the person looks like rather than letting my eyes “see” the person. And I end up struggling and not being able to get a likeness.

So I’m doing a self-portrait to work on this issue since I am the one person I have the most pre-conceived notions about and really truly “see” the least.

In keeping with the looser style of painting I’ve been doing lately, I just did a minimal sketch and then began laying down patches of color.
I did this from a mirror rather than a photo. If I’d used a photo, I would have gone through them until I found one that I looked good in. Instead I used the mirror and got what I got, forcing me to really look.

It does look like me a little but some of those preconceived notions did come through like the forehead is far too tall and the eyes are a bit too deep and too blue.
But overall for a first effort, not too bad but definitely room for improvement.

Any suggestions or criticisms appreciated for the next try.
9x12” oil pastel on paper

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
My Home

Hails from Pakistan
Re: Self-Portrait: End of the Day

Hi Ann. This looks nice to me. Yes, doing a self portrait is quite difficult as you have to paint what you are 'looking' at and not to whom you know. This comes along very nice as a first attempt in loose style. May I suggest if you add some contrast on the forehead with parsian blue shade. Its just my opinion.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Ann, I like it very much... your style has a great relaxed exaggerated appeal. The eyes are large and the bottom half of the face seems narrow. I don't know if that is intentional, but I like it very much because it gives a sense of character.

For one of your experiments, try painting with your reference upside-down.

Great job, Ann!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Maria, thanks for the comments. I'm not familiar with that blue. Is it a warm blue or a cool blue?

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Joel, thanks!
The large eyes and narrow face were not intentional. I had a lot of trouble with the model. Every time I looked at my paper, she stopped looking out of the mirror at me! So I’d have to reposition. I think next one will be from a photo. And upside down sounds like a good way to make me really look at it.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

Ann, its warm blue. You can use it in dark tones but very little. It acts like black, hehe, I hate when black ruins the painting.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Dana Design

Before you worry about color, may I suggest that when looking in the mirror, you place dots of (perhaps) lipstick on the mirrow at specific points around the head. E.g., top of head, ear tops/bottoms, eyes, nose, mouth, bottom of chin. In that way, you'll always reposition yourself accurately!

This portrait has charm. I'd leave it and go on to the next!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Dana, thanks for the tip. Something to line up on would definitely have made this easier.
I'm thinking of doing several self-portraits to see if I can improve in actually seeing what I'm looking at. I think the next one will be from a photo.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Dana Design

Great! Just remember your soft and hard edges (lost and found edges) when painting from a photo! And as Richard Schmid suggests, paint with blocks of color rather than outlines of things.

good luck!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore

Should be quite easy to place the drawing next to your image in the mirror for comparing.

At a cursory glance, your have drawn in too much forehead and the eyebrows are too far away from the eyes.