Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Looking for advice, new work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mercfredis

Hi! I’m a newbie, my new work is using this reference:

This is my initial sketch…I know it is not detailed, that’s how I work. I make a loose sketch and then paint over it:

The advice I’d like is, what parts should I paint first, which middle, and which last? I’m not even sure which medium I will use here. I could use acrylic, or pastels (soft, oil). Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

~JMW~

If you do acrylics I suggest far areas/sky first.. then middle/ then front/foreground…
            but some do it other ways..whatever works for you…
            But not knowing your skill level, I’d suggest watching some similar sky & compositions you tube videos first..

~Joy~

La_

Totally have to agree with JMW, start in the distance and work your way forward. one of the major reasons for doing so is this – imagine putting that sky in behind the completed spruce tree tops [bloody bothersome, seriously].

la

mercfredis

Thanks guys! I scrapped the first sketch, sketched another one and this is my final version:

ptrkgmc

Add some ‘atmosphere’, the mist at the base of each range of mountains, and to your trees as they recede to the distance,.

rabbitone

The answer depends of the medium your using. For example in water color my progression is:
                            large shapes to small shapes
                            wet-on-wet to wet on dry
                            light tones to dark tones
                            cool colors to warm colors

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.