WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Des Moines, IA

Hails from United States
Re: airbrushing on canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush_ken
I also have some reservations about selling art work with paints that don't have any ASTM ratings, which Createx paint products do not. Their products are not made for fine art.

Ken has a really good point here, I would reccomend clearing the painting with a UV resistant clear coat (I use Krylon) because this will protect the painting. I've seen paintings done with createx that are fairly old that were cleared and still looked good, but I had a painting sit in my studio for 6 months uncleared and it needed some touch up work.

-Margot

Yes, but answers are a different matter entirely.
http://www.margotfoster.com
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2007, 06:26 PM

I understand now that Createx are not the best paints for fine art. I'm not selling anything at the moment so not too worried about that. I bought createx because I had trouble sourcing airbrush paints but it's time to change.

Which brands of suitable fine art airbrush paint are available in Australia and from where? The other problem with the createx is the colour range isn't in artist colours and I really like things like paynes grey, burnt sienna, yellow ochre etc. It would be so much easier if I could get proper artist colours.

Btw, the only people who have been so negative of airbrushed art work are the couple who own and run the local art shop. Apart from them I've had no other negative comments about airbrushing but they are particulary unsupportive and miserable people who unfortunately have a lot of ties in the local art scene. It's probably because they don't sell the paints - other than ink!

cheers
Patsy
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
birmingham

Hails from England

as i do a lot of my work for customers i can undrestand kens concernes and from an expierance my friends at dragon art custom painters uk had with a customers vehicle

paul and john did a job involving a lot of candy dye work, they decided to go with a new line of candy ,within a few weeks to months the colours faded to the point of disapearing, as you can imagine no one including the customer was too happy .the company who supplied the candy did however reimberse paul and john not only for the materials used in the job but also for thier labour costs involved in the rectification

i wont say whos candy dyes where involved but they are a world wide manufacturer ,needless to say paul and john dont use that particuler brand any more and thankfully warned me

so take head of ken on this one rgds j4j/paul ps paynes grey my favourite colour i do work just in white and paynes grey just for the hell of it
hi as we posted together your responce wasnt there when i wrote this so this is edited ,i had the same problem getting traditional artists colours for airbrushing at my local art shop so i got some half pans of windsor and newton artist grade AS Thingumybob rated watercolours and disolved them in transparant extender ,now of course i get golden or comart who do carry such colours

Last edited by jumpforjoy61 : 07-01-2007 at 06:56 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyrap
Which brands of suitable fine art airbrush paint are available in Australia and from where?

Hi Patsy,

I use Kens paint as I too had problems with createx and finding decent paint, There's a link on my webpage with up to date details ( some old webpages on the net have the old phone number) or you could PM Ken...

Fiona's lovely to talk to and knowledgable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyrap
Btw, the only people who have been so negative of airbrushed art work are the couple who own and run the local art shop. Apart from them I've had no other negative comments about airbrushing but they are particulary unsupportive and miserable people who unfortunately have a lot of ties in the local art scene. It's probably because they don't sell the paints - other than ink!

Funny that, I have the exact opposite with my framer (also sells art supplies) and she is quite excited when I bring in something for framing (I guess it's because I'm a paying customer ) she's a real down to earth person who you can actually talk too without a negative atmosphere. She also allows me to sell some of the feathers I have done at her store (with commison of course) and displays my feathers on the front counter.

Personally, I prefer to shop/deal with a business who repects the patronage of their customers as one bad word passed from a unsatisfied customer onto another could result in a lost customer who will go elsewhere for a sale....

Cheers
Hidiho
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Blair, SC

Hails from United States

From the Createx site:

Colors are water-based, non-toxic and meet ASTM D-4236 standards
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM

You mentioned thinning Createx with water. Have you tried 4012 instead? That is Createx reducer. That paint doesn't play nice with water, I think you'll have much better luck with 4012.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 AM

Contextual information man! I don't do it practically but I see airbrushing on canvas by a friend. It was looking very interesting. Some brands that claim to be pure and chemical free may be safe.