WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Mayville, Michigan

Hails from United States
Teaching Drawing

Hello everyone! I have what I hope is a relatively simple question. I have gotten myself into teaching a beginner drawing class to a group of 9-12 year olds. I have never really taught before and am unsure of where to start or what sources to use. I would like a simple cirriculum yo use if possible. A step by step sorta thing. Or a book. I have looked at the Drawing and Sketching forum's Classroom of 101 classes, and like it. Also, the book they recommend, How to Draw what you See by Rudy de Reyna. So...thoughts? Class starts Monday January 15. Help?!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Teaching Drawing

Of course I would shamelessly recommend my beginner drawing tutorial series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLT...lvR -K8M2CgoQ

Take a look and see if there's anything that could be useful to you
I have 5 videos in that playlist so far.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Mayville, Michigan

Hails from United States

Thanks Decompress Art. They look good and will consider using them. I didnt mention in my post that this class runs for only 9 one hour sessions so i wanna pack as much basic material in as possible, but without overwhelming them. And, this class is every two weeks, so essentially they are only getting 2 hours of instruction per month. This class will likely go on into next years school as well, and I don't know how many students will return or move on to a higher age/grade level.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFellow
Thanks Decompress Art. They look good and will consider using them. I didnt mention in my post that this class runs for only 9 one hour sessions so i wanna pack as much basic material in as possible, but without overwhelming them. And, this class is every two weeks, so essentially they are only getting 2 hours of instruction per month. This class will likely go on into next years school as well, and I don't know how many students will return or move on to a higher age/grade level.

I would recommend focusing on the simple but paramount things such as shape, value, edge (and maybe even color)...this way they are unlikely to get overwhelmed and they really learn the fundamentals for any style of art they wish to pursue in the future.