Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Baybee Orchid

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Winnieike2

The local Orchid Society in my area is having an art contest so I thought I’d enter with this piece. I don’t know if I’ll win or not, but that’s not the point.
        You all have given me a much needed shot in the arm. I think there may be more people out there like me; someone who enjoys making things, but are afraid, for one reason or another, to allow others to see them. I know there are cruel people, but I don’t think most people judge nearly as harshly as we judge ourselves. It’s through the confidence you’ve generously given that I’m able to take up the challenge of entering a contest. That in itself is enough for me to feel humbled but proud.
        Thanks!

16×16 on colored pencil on Stonehenge, vellum finish white paper

Olaf

How charming . . . :)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"God is dead." —Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." —God

Winnieike2

Thanks, Olaf! I’m glad you find it charming! The child in the picture is one of my many great nieces, I remembered the orchid from a trip to a botanical garden my husband and I saw on a trip to Canada. I think Bee orchids grow wild-I’m not sure where. I had to find botanical drawings so I’d know how to properly render the orchid. When I saw them I was struck by how much they resembled a baby in a bunting. That image was the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of entering the contest and I knew my new niece would cooperate ( with the help of mom and some keys dangeling overhead.. Haha!), it fell together.
                I was so excited when it was finally finished I had to share. It makes me smile!

libra

great job! I like the way you have rendered the bumble bee. Good luck on your art show.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joan
                    Pingpongfan

Cicely Mary Barker did a book on flower fairy drawings. I saw it in Ireland a few years ago and I bought it. She has little poems with her fairy paintings. This is one called The Song of the Bee Orchis Fairy …
                        In the grass o’ the bank,
                        By the side o’ the way,
                        Where your feet may stray
                        On your luckiest day,
                        There’s a sight most rare
                        That your eyes may see:
                        A beautiful Orchis that looks like a bee!
                        A velvety bee, with a proud little elf,
                        Who looks like the wonderful
                        orchis himself –
                        In the grass o’ the hill,
                        Not often, but still
                        Just once in a way
                        On your luckiest day.
                        She was born in London in 1895, so maybe orchis became orchid years later. She was a teacher so her subjects were the children she taught. I love your little flower fairy. She is so cute and you have made a really good job of this.
                        Vena

Winnieike2

Where your feet may stray
                            On your luckiest day,
                            There’s a sight most rare
                            That your eyes may see:
                            A beautiful Orchis that looks like a bee!

Wow,Vena! Just before my mother passed away she gave me one of Cicely Mary Barker’s books. The poem you mentioned isn’t in the collection I have, but I was able to find it on the internet, and now I know where her orchids come from.
                            Thank you for your kind comments and the accompanying poem. You made my day! 😊

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.