Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art acrylic abstract #21 c+c encouraged!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike F

One of my latest acrylic pours and paintings. Please let me know what you think of it! Thanks.

Artchrispy

Wow Mike F It’s really lively. Great cells. To be honest, like most of my pour paintings I like smaller sections better than the work as a whole. It’s as if there are several separate paintings to be extracted in various crops. Thinking of the painting in quadrants, I like the upper right the most for the color and the stretchy gold and blue cells. I do like the way its divided by the black. it looks like a river on an alien world viewed from orbit.

Christophervasil.com

Mike F

Thanks! Yes it is very busy, I know. I got a bit carried away with pulling out the paint, into the black negative space. I want to work on that, so it doesn’t look so manipulated. I enjoy the separated areas also, and then tying them back into one another. I would really like to gain more control over how the paint lays on the canvas.

Artchrispy

I’ve watched dozens of those pour videos on youtube. I’ve never seen anyone crop a painting. No shame in cropping. The smaller paintings usually look less busy at the end of the day, but there area some who pull off large unified pieces. One trick may be getting super sized cells across as much area as possible. Some pours in segments. You can always let one area dry then selectively pour around it. And if all else fails why not just paint in the desired cells with a brush old school where needed

Christophervasil.com

Mike F

I try to do a rough sketch, of what I’d like it to look like, but usually it is far from the sketch. lol
                        Yes, one nice thing is, there are no rules!!!

Artchrispy

Yes, one nice thing is, there are no rules!!!

I remember one of the youtube stars was claiming using silicon was ‘cheating.’ Cheating? Oh, ok.
                            Maybe it was because that person was trying to sell a silicon -free formula.

Christophervasil.com

Mike, this really grabs the viewer and won’t let go. So glad you’ve joined us here. Hope to see more soon. Agree w/ Christopher’s comments.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Mike F

Thanks so much!
                                New Years resolution is to make more art, and hopefully sell my first piece!
                                I have to get these ideas out of my head, and onto a canvas.

laf.art

Hi Mike love the great Splash you’ve made with your post – welcome. Whilst I tend to agree with Artchrispy’s comments I like the fact that you’re working on a black bground it adds punch and I took your photo and rotated it to portrait format with the largest of the pours on the viewers bottom right – I really like it

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                    Instagram laf.abstracts

Mike F

laf.art,
                                        Thank you for the feedback. I’ve just started using black and negative space, and I really like how it makes the colors pop. It is amazing how rotating a pour, can look like a whole new painting. Thanks again.

Katie Black

Hi there, I think the colour mix and cells are very well done. I think for the next one I would let each area merge a little bit rather than keep them separate because as it stands now it gives it an unconnected look I think. I love the black background that your using.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Mike F

Katie, thanks for the great feedback.
                                                I’m really liking the black negative space also.
                                                I see what you mean by the unconnected look to it.
                                                Thanks again.

cmallav

Love the colors. Beautiful flow…especially the upper right!

Mike F

Thanks cmallav,

I’m fairly new to this, and have a lot to learn. I really appreciate the great feedback!!

Thanks,
                                                        Mike

Eraethil

You’ve got some great effects going on, well done. And it is great that you are planning your pour-based painting. One of the best things about pouring is the unexpected happening, but you can’t really take advantage of such happenings without some combination of planning and improvisation.

I’d like to see even more quiet space in your next painting, and perhaps a single colour scheme for the different passages of poured paint. It might also be helpful to have more carefully separated areas with different types of visual texture. (e.g. cellular textures, circle or stripe pours, and clean dark negative space) Whatever you do next, it is bound to be exciting.

Will look forward to seeing more.
                                                            Cheers,

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                                            Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.