Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Antarctic Auster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Chas McHugh

One Artist and his subject matter.

Hoping to complete a 30″ x 20″ oil painting of this little bird for completion before the end of January. We will see.

© Copyright Charles E McHugh 2019
        www.aeroartist.com

Trumper

Ohhh,will we be getting a W I P —Please :)

NeilF92

Plenty of colour and contrast to work with in that challenge Chas.

Chas McHugh

There are numerous scenario options available to me, not least because the aircraft had wheels and skids and floats at various stages. I do intend to include SnoCat vehicles in the composition and perhaps a tented camp. Having watched plenty of ‘Ice pilots’ on TV, I think there is scope for a small cloud of condensation from the exhaust to exploit in the name of movement. The sky may well be a deep blue void of any evidence of cloud or pollution / haze.

I will be avoiding raw Titanium white which for an icescape will be interesting. I would like to capture the extreme cold which of course is in itself invisible. Hows that for a challenge – but of course there is a wind that may add to atmosphere.

I have no idea why I am doing this – not to get too deep, I awoke early one morning with a complete composition as a vision, and I hope to complete it quickly rather then the many months my work usually takes. If it ends up as a disaster; then so be it – it was meant to be.

Penguins …. Don’t start me 😎

www.aeroartist.com

shadwell

the orange and blue is working for me already , should make a colour vibrant picture with clear air ,,, good to see you doing another WIP in here

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                        [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                        Ian

Depicting ‘cold’ without being corny about it with furs and icicles will certainly be a challenge!
                            I would guess a lack of warm colours would contribute – wow!, its a real thought provoker!

http://ianrevealed.deviantart.com/
                            https://ianrevealed.blogspot.com/

Chas McHugh

I have had sufficient positive feedback from members who appreciate following the creative process to justify running a ‘work-in-progress’ that takes nothing for granted.

This painting will be on a 30″ x 20″ pre-stretched canvas. The first task is to select four books that will sit beneath the canvas protecting it when I lean on the canvas. I require this because my work station is a drawing board rather then an easel ~ which I do also use on occasions during the process. Having selected the books, I will now apply an additional layer of gesso undercoat stained with acrylic paint so that I am not painting shades of white onto a white surface, and in order to prevent the weave tooth obstructing a free flow of paint when blending.

Once that is dry – we are prepared and ready to start the next painting.

www.aeroartist.com

Puffman

What about this story for a possible idea behind the painting Chas

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/polar-record/article/william-harvie-tommy-thomson-dsc-19222012/0FA08B792B94C8F5811BF6A4B71AC589/core-reader

I was lucky enough to know Tommy in the last three years of his life..what a wonderful man…there is a section on his work in the Auster

Tommy’s first civilian job was as a partner in a London disinfestation business, essentially a rat-catcher, in restaurants and factories. One evening by chance he met James Marr, formerly of Shackleton’s Quest expedition, who had lately returned from leading Operation Tabarin, the fore-runner of the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey. Marr was recruiting for FIDS. Tommy expressed interest, and some months later he was offered the post of pilot for the survey’s work in Graham Land. Tommy accepted, quickly married Nan Metcalf (the sister of a wartime colleague), and managed a brief four-day honeymoon before shipping off to Antarctica late in 1946.

Assigned to Base E, Stonington Island, then the survey’s main base, Tommy flew the ski-equipped Auster Autocrat on reconnaissance and depot-laying flights. This lasted only until mid-September. In a joint operation with the Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition, the aircraft was forced down by bad weather to crash-land on the sea ice some 60 miles south of base. Tommy, his co-pilot Bernard Stonehouse and observer Reg. Freeman were fortunate to emerge with little damage, but suffered a hazardous week of walking back over shifting sea ice toward base. A fuller account is given in Kevin Walton’s Two years in the Antarctic, which properly appreciates the outstanding efforts of both British and US colleagues to find the lost fliers during a week of foul weather. These efforts culminated in their rescue and safe return.

Chas McHugh

Having prepared the canvas with stained gesso; I now create a montage with photographs sized and resized until they work together. At that stage I will have created a new image, and I can then focus on ensuring that light and shade is consistent across the board. I usually use my own photographs but on this occasion the expedition was before I was born; therefore I am reliant on official photographs taken at the time. The collective image will be a new image in its own right.

www.aeroartist.com

Trumper

We really do need a like button. :)

gebhm

The plane at the top and the one in the montage are different which one do we expect? Love the idea!

Chas McHugh

There were three types of aircraft used on the 1955 expedition:
                                                    * Auster T7
                                                    * DHC Beaver
                                                    * DHC Otter
                                                    I will include both Otter and Auster in this composition. The engines were often kept running when away from base to prevent them freezing. Thus the Otter on the ground will be engine running and an Auster will be seen in the overhead.
                                                    Both aircraft and SnoCat share common paint schemes with little tonal variation, and there is a danger of too much colour clash. I will include to bare rock in the background landscape to remind everyone that the Antarctic is a land mass unlike the Arctic which is just ice. The Otter was a UK military aircraft and I believe the only example of the type to ever wear a British serial be it military or civil. My only worry is achieving a satisfactory effect to the snow as there is a danger of a flat representation.

www.aeroartist.com

Trumper

We still get the Dash 7 visiting Duxford quite a lot. https://www.bas.ac.uk/polar-operations/sites-and-facilities/facility/dash-7-aircraft/

I must visit the Scott polar museum as well . http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/

Chas McHugh

The De Havilland (Canada) Otter aircraft will be in the centre of the canvas and therefore is the Master element of the ground activities. The perspective lines will in turn dictate a horizon line and a vanishing point that the other ground elements must adhere to for the whole composition to work. On this painting the Otter vanishing point is off the canvas but there are ways that this can be managed such as a line of string. The outline has been done with a fine black drawing pen.

www.aeroartist.com

shadwell

it’s a bit round for an auster that buddy it might be me but I think the problems in the cowl !! :lol: gonna be great tho ..

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                                                                [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Antarctic Auster’ is closed to new replies.