WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Florida

Hails from United States
3 person portrait help

Hello,

I haven't been in this forum before but I have been searching for help on this and thought someone here could help me.

I have plans on doing this in scratchboard, (thus the black background) and need help correctly placing each child within the picture so it looks good. I am soooo clueless when it comes to composition LOL
(pictures have been altered to protect privacy)
Thanks in advance
Kay
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Leeds, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: 3 person portrait help

The composition doesn't look satisfying to me. I would arrange the three faces as a pyramid, two faces at the base and one at the top, which would give stability to the composition. I would fade out the shoulder areas so there isn't a hard line between the shoulders and the remaining blank paper.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Northern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Kay, I did a 3 dog portrait a while back. I had one centered on the bottom, one up a bit higher to the left, and the third even a bit higher to the right. I didn't have them overlapping at all. One person in WC helps me with so many problems.(madster, whose opinions and comments I value so much) She did a photoshop version that helped me see how much better it would look if I'd overlapped them a bit. This is her version, and it is definitely better than mine was.
I agree with Keith to fade out the shoulder area.
good luck with your painting.
Ann
Attached Images

http://annsnaturepaintings.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Thank you both so very much for your help
I have worked al little here with your suggestions...
Yes each of the children's shoulders and bottom of their shirt areas will be faded out..
So, am I in the ballpark here? Other adjustments?

Thanks again! I am excited about doing this one.

Kay
Attached Images

Last edited by WaitingforJesus : 02-02-2006 at 07:10 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2006, 08:24 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A higher state of consciousness

Hails from United States

I feel that your composition is still too static, and the pyramid shape is not a good idea, as the age differences between the children is great enough that it looks disproportionate, because of the difference in facial size and shapes. I actually prefer your original composition, I would merely bring everyone closer together, so that your three children become a single "family" unit.

Here is my "take" on a composition that allows a bit more for the older child to be given a bit more recognition of her age, while still keeping this a family portrait.

I would also suggest that you get more pictures to work with, preferably a full frontal picture of each child, as well as 3/4 shots facing both directions. This will help you immensely in facial proportions between the three (size will be "fudged" a bit for viewability, that's "Artistic License," but you want them to look like they are all from the same family, a challenge for most facial portraits). At present, the two older children are both facing to their right, the baby, not quite as much, which throws the balance of the composition off a bit, and for you to "creatively" redraw their pose is both time consuming, and skill challenging, more than called for, as scratchboard is demanding enough, that you should have the easiest references to work with.

Hope this helps, rather than adds to the confusion.

~M

Last edited by madster : 02-05-2006 at 08:33 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

All three heads are tilted in the same direction - if you mirror one of them, I think you may get a better result. Otherwise I like madster's suggestion.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 05:37 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Heres my take on the composition. I'd have theeldest at the base to represent stability in the family tree. i'd lose the hard edges, possibly just loosely suggesting the shirts with some well placed line work. That should also help bring the faces to the fore.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Hails from United States

Don't mirror. People are not symmetrical, so both the features and the shading will be off. If you are working from photographs, keep as true to them as possible. I toned down the background from the stark black, and graduated it a bit lighter at the bottom so the clothing fades a bit better.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I think Blue Cat's suggestion works great - it has both unity (similarity and all thre united into one major shape) and diversity as the boy in the light shirt in front have the body turned the other way.