Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Galkyd Lite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Yaella

I just bought Gamblin’s Galkyd Lite, and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to use it. The consistency is gell-like, and I’m at a bit of a loss here. ^_^

WFMartin

I’d be glad to send you one of my free samples that I obtained at some Gamblin demo. I have no use for it whatsoever. For me, at least, there is no “way to use it”. ;) At least, not for the creation of a good, sound, traditional oil painting.

Others seem to enjoy its characteristics, I believe. I’m sure they will have some suggestions, but for now my most productive suggestion would be to pitch it. Doing so would not only shorten an otherwise lengthy learning curve regarding “how to use it”, but it would eliminate it.

I don’t believe in suggesting to anyone how to use it, when I personally don’t feel that alkyd mediums are suitable for use with traditional oil paints.

I’m sure that others will have some positive suggestions regarding how to make use of it, but my conscience simply won’t allow me do that.:D

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Brayzen

I use both (lite and reg.) – mix it with your thinner or just dip your brush loaded with color in it (use very little) – just helps quicken the drying process.

lovin art

Throw it out , you really dont need it , as pointed out , its truly not needed , I say Learn to see what paint can do before you go adding that puppy to it AND it is pretty marvelous stuff on its own ~ paint that is :D

dirtysteev

The anti-galkyd crowd certainly is vocal about it!
                        If you have to ask how to use it, you probably don’t need it, but if you are specifically going for the effects and handling characteristics that it affords then by all means go for it. It can be used in the same manner that one would use stand oil, thinned or unthinned, either mixed into your paint, or used to dip dip your brush in before you pick up paint. Your comment about the consistency makes me suspect yours is old or has not been stored airtight. It should not be a gel. Regular galkyd should pour like honey, or stand oil, it is thick and kinda sticky, galkyd lite should be even thinner than that. I store mine upside down to insure it is airtight.
                        I pretty much quit using galkyd a couple of years ago in favor if walnut alkyd, simply based on the smell of the former, i didn’t like the petrochemical oder. It did however give me some effects that were not achievable by other means. Very pure, glossy, enamel-like surfaces are produced. i was also doing some really greasy/runny drippy things that were aided by thinned galkyd. Not to mention the really fast dry time. I had an instructor not long ago who was using a medium of thinned galkyd into which he had dissolved cold wax medium, he used the brush-dip method and the results were beautiful.

lovin art

[B]The anti-galkyd crowd certainly is vocal about it! [/B]

Hey Steveo , its not that Im ainty in anyway shape or form , I even used the stuff myself back in the day on works I sold … my first sold works actually and while I was proud of them at the time, …I look back and I dont like to think I painted such beautiful works with that gunk in them ,. Since then school and Learning from competent teachers what was needed and required of me what was not … I forced myself to see what I am capable of … there it is , its that simple well for me … but I do think any teacher worth there weight in gold wouldnt tell you otherwise , well the ones I dig would ….:D

WFMartin

Hey Steveo , its not that Im ainty in anyway shape or form , I even used the stuff myself back in the day on works I sold … my first sold works actually and while I was proud of them at the time, …I look back and I dont like to think I painted such beautiful works with that gunk in them ,. Since then school and Learning from competent teachers what was needed and required of me what was not … I forced myself to see what I am capable of … there it is , its that simple well for me … but I do think any teacher worth there weight in gold wouldnt tell you otherwise , well the ones I dig would ….:D

So have I used it, and just recently actually, merely to gain experience with using it. I am not merely an anti-Galkyd advocate, but an overall, anti-alkyd supporter, in general; I am not biased; I recommend against the use of all alkyds with traditional oil paint. It’s just a matter of the simple fact that there are quite truly so many really good, appropriate, easy handling, low-odor, or “good odor”, archival, fast-drying, traditional, oil painting mediums composed of good drying oils, and simple solvents, and perhaps a resin, that we who employ those mediums routinely in our work wonder just what the fascination is to using the alkyd material.

I make it a practice of not purchasing any painting medium whose ingredients are not listed in total, on the label of its container. That automatically eliminates nearly all commercially made mediums, including the alkyd mediums. Those of us who tend to be a bit paranoid about mixing unknown materials into our oil paints often mix our own mediums, using those ingredients that we feel will make our work easier, faster, and will exhibit a modicum of archival integrity, while drying at a rate we deem appropriate.

Until someone can explain what exact ingredients are contained in those alkyd mediums, and in what proportions, those of us “traditionalists” will probably continue to avoid them, while we mix our own mediums, from sound ingredients. And, by “sound ingredients” I mean ingredients that are compatible with traditional oil paints, as well as causing our paint to handle the way we expect it to for the work we do. There honestly are quite wonderful ingredients for fashioning your own painting mediums, to meet nearly any requirement one may have for drying, handling, storing, smell, finish, etc., etc.

Anonymous

I just bought Gamblin’s Galkyd Lite, and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to use it. The consistency is gell-like, and I’m at a bit of a loss here. ^_^

you just mix it with your oil paint.:D
                                    here is how someone uses it in a previous thread.

lovin art

Well William , I guess this is not really the place for me to cook this thread just so I can talk to you :D …. and I do enjoy talking to you … I look at it as all Learning ,and these are just purely my thoughts here/no rant here promise:wink2: , I once used it , now I find I dont need it …and deep down I think that half these so called products meant to make our Lives easier as Artists are well in a word gimmicky because sure its great to think you can paint in oils and the stuff is dry the next day… but in all honesty is it really showing an artist just what the paint in its pure extream is capable of …. Im a Paint on the spot girl beacuse Im learning to paint from mostly Life so I have to learn to not make mud and it teaches you to be more selective in what you mix and how you apply the paint in the first place…meaning

~ I fully think if someone wants to paint ,In any Style and that includes glazing and I have nothing against glazing I love it …then they need (Lots of Practice) this goes without saying :D good Paints , and they need to learn to mix them with a palette knife from scratch and bring the paints up to a consistency that will allow you to glaze and here is my prime example , I glazed this in pure paint , nothing else ….:)

RockettQueen

I paint almost exclusively with alkyds. It’s true, there are many other materials that will give you the same or similar results, which are simple and readily available. But I equate the ingredients-conscious oil painters with organic food fanatics. It can’t hurt, and it’s a good habit, but at the end of the day I just don’t care.

I’ll happily eat at burger king and use alkyd mediums because they suit my needs and I enjoy them.

I don’t use galkyd lite in particular, so if it’s not supposed to be a gel, then maybe you need a new bottle. But in theory you use it like any other medium. Rub an extremely thin film on the canvas and paint directly into it, dip your brush before loading with paint, mix it into the paint on the palette, etc.

Brayzen

Let’s see if we can deter the new member from ever joining in any other discussions … :thumbsup:

WFMartin

The new member asked for advice regarding the use of Galkyd, and at least two of us offered it. It is unfortunate if it might not have been what the new member wished to learn.

I was quite upset when I learned that it is a bad practice to draw with graphite pencil on a canvas, and to apply oil paint over it, but that advice caused me to change to using charcoal, instead, and very successfully. Advice is advice. Those who frequent these forums quickly learn to sift the sound advice from the nonsense, and then do what they please with the accumulated information.

In fact, if the new member wishes to learn several recipes for useful, traditional oil painting mediums, I’d be glad to have him Private Message me for them. I seldom recommend the elimination of one method or material, without also recommending what I consider a better alternative, or even several.:thumbsup:

Anonymous

I can’t figure out how to use it. [/quote]
                                                        here is another post from another user that may help.

Patrick45

Wow Sandra, that example you posted is fantastic. Is that the whole thing or is it a close up of a flower? I know this is off the subject but I couldn’t help mentioning it.

Don Ketchek

Take it back to the store. It should be liquid – not gel like.

Don

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Galkyd Lite’ is closed to new replies.