WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Child proof caps begone!

I've broken two child proof caps on medium bottles. I guess I pushed too hard downwards while turning, and "crack!" After that it was round and round, but it was never coming off. So out came various tools and I cut the top off them. Fortunately I had Two W&N old standard caps and they still fit even though it had been on a child proof top. Obviously the child proof part is only in the cap. Now one was a Old Holland bottle but the neck size and thread was the same, so naturally I reasoned perhaps this size and thread is fairly universal.

There must be loads of caps that can fulfill this function and I found one immediately. Here in New Zealand most wine bottles are now sealed with a screw cap instead of a cork. Turns out to be a perfect fit and most have that non-leaching silvered inner seal as the medium bottles do. A gentle clean with a moist tissue, dry and then perfect to go.

Most child proof caps don't give me much trouble, but it still so much easier not to have to put down a brush and just give a bottle top a simple light twist.

After two weeks waiting to see if there was some unexpected reaction with a liquin medium and finding none. I've now thrown all the child proofs out and replaced them with wine caps. I didn't know how good that would feel.

Please note we have no small children in residence.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Child proof caps begone!

I too struggle with the push-down-and-turn tops of my medium bottles. The worst is the lean medium "archival" brand (which is my go-to odourless medium). The plastic bottle makes it hard to push down for the turn. Maybe I need to decant into glass jars with better lids.
Also no small children in residence.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Child proof caps begone!

I remove and dismantle all of the childproof "safety" caps on everything I own, medicines, mediums, whatever. I am 67 live alone, have arthritis, and don't allow them in my house. I save all regular normal caps and bottles like they were some kind of precious artifact from the past.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 10-12-2019 at 08:29 PM.