WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

yesterdays outing

Hello All, a couple first is early, had the sketch done before sun crested the ridge but then the wind picked up, may have started a bit too early bonechillingly cold, dropped it at home hardroll and coffee and off to this barn, no wind and sunny, the silo is massive yet there is space between and i don't feel i show that well enough, your thoughts and c&c most welcome, thanks greg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States
Re: yesterdays outing

Very, very nice, Greg!!

Randy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Randy, both are on the revisit, list the first because there was much more info. there, and that silo\barn is a one of a kind around here. good luck out there, greg
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
in the Zuni Mtns., NM

Hails from United States

I agree - very nice. It seems to me your eye for perspective and the weather is really growing.

Jane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Huge improvement on the drawing Greg, the first one is spot on. Your tone choices are really coming along too. One small thing on drawing those pesky round silos. I was about to try and explain in words but maybe its quicker to draw.

Sorry for the paintover but its easier to explain. The line running round the silo that is level with your eyes (the horizon) will be a straight line the hoops above it will curve more and more upwards the top one will be the most curved.
Below the straight one they curve down the lowest being the most curved. To judge it by eye put in the flat one, then the most curved at the top then put in the one halfway between, this one will be exactly half the height of the top one. Then you can fill in the betweens by eye.
Rob
Blog: http://www.treeshark.com/treeblog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Jane i'm working at the prespective and just trying to get out as much as possible and observe, nice to hear there's some progress being made, Good luck out there yourself, Rob really didn't see how shakey they were in the heat of battle so thanks for the heads up, they have been fixed, Thanks for the compliments. I tend to run out of steam after a while out there, be it the elements or mental fatigue so have gotten better about putting the brush down rather then doing harm to the work, this is the return same time of day to finish more, Again thanks for the help, greg
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

Hi Greg,
These remind me of the farms around me! Good job capturing that! Keep on painting these sorts of things. Stuff like silo's and barn boards are really challenging subjects. For silo's it seems like a good idea to break it into light and shadow, and then hit a halftone into it. Those elipses that you painted on the silo def. are not easy to do!
keep exploring this subject matter, it matters!
Kyle
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Kyle, i feel fortunate to reside in susquehanna county pa. with it's farming history we are left with many wonderful structures unfortunately each spring some more have come down from age, many i paint are vacant, so yes it does matter. Good luck with your work, greg
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Eureka, California

Hails from United States

These look great! I often think of this video when I am working on foreground textures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74zPtWnmNQ

Adding some textures in the front can help to create depth, but I acknowledge that this is a stylistic approach and everyone needs to find their own voice.