Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Ran out of steam (creatively), frustrated…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    artbymatt

I thought I was doing well in the last few weeks, finished 3 paintings, then all of the sudden…nothing. It seems like every painting I’ve started on has been a failure. The last one I got so angry I threw the canvas in the trash, and one I just started on I’m probably going to paint over and start again.

I’ve tried sketching out ideas, but that hasn’t worked. Is there anything I can do to get back into the groove so to speak?

La_

sounds like you might be new at this painting stuff.
            how many paintings, total, have you done?

inspiration comes from many sources – where does yours usually come from?

breath … go for a walk about.

la

artbymatt

sounds like you might be new at this painting stuff.
                how many paintings, total, have you done?

inspiration comes from many sources – where does yours usually come from?

breath … go for a walk about.

la

Yeah pretty much. I started painting in 2014, and I’ve done 9 in total. It’s hard to say what inspires me, sometimes its color sometime I’ll have a vague direction I’d like to go in and go from there.

La_

it’s hard to inspire someone else’s visions, light someone else’s spark.

with only nine paintings done, you have a wide open door of options to explore. landscapes are probably the most forgiving, given the natural imperfections they present and the fairly broad range of things learned from painting them – composition, colors, values, perspectives [linear and atmospheric].

la

budigart

I picked portraiture as my primary goal. It’s the best and the worst of efforts. The worst because recreating a human’s face with all it’s vagaries is difficult, and the best of efforts because with billions of faces in the world, it’s unlikely that I’ll ever run out things to paint. My point? As you progress (if you progress) you’ll settle into a direction — a groove — that will keep you busy for the rest of your life.

My personal mission is to paint free for parents the young men and women who have given their lives in the wars of 9-11. I’ve been at it for about 15 years and, so far, I have painted about 250 portraits. I won’t live long enough to paint them all.

Look around . . . find something that lights your fire.

Use Her Name

I do run out of steam. Right now I have a few projects that could get done in a full day of work, but I am avoiding them why? I guess some self-shaming is in order.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

hmshood5

It happens to me too. Though I am on a bit of a “hot streak” now, that is definitely not always the case. What I do is I draw or paint something from a photo, just to keep my head in the game, and before I know it, a new idea comes to me out of the blue.

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

Retiree

Usually, just a change of scenery is needed – at least for me. As previously suggested, go outside for a bit, go to the library, a museum, a cafe or do something different in the house – draw instead of paint, I also sew, do paper quilling – even sometimes cleaning your art space helps.

What you experienced happens to everyone. The best thing to do is step back away from it, take a deep breath, count to 110: then, only if you are feeling right about i, come back. You might try some relaxed sketching out doors. No paint, just a pad and pencil. Good luck. Jules

http://www.juleshilliardfineart.com

laf.art

Or rearrange your working space then go out and forget about painting for a little while. maybe take photos, or just have fun. As you’ve gathered by now it happens to us all – don’t worry.

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                            Instagram laf.abstracts

Sometimes I think people think inspiration is really a thing that comes from inside their own beings. The human mind is just a n interpolator and extrapolator of patterns. You need to experience patterns and stimulate the mind so it can give you new extrapolations.

Go to a new place, read a new book, watch a new movie. The output of a brain is always restricted to its input.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Clive Green

Take a camera for a walk and photograph what you would normally ignore – the roots of trees, clouds, car wheels, shop windows, anything close to the lens, anything far away. Take a sketchbook for a walk and draw the same things. make yourself a coffee. You are an artist so look at what other people make – chairs and chains and cranes.

Works for me :)

:cool: Kia Ora o Aotearoa Feckless and Irresponsible
                                                My website http://www.otaki-artist.com
                                                WFMartin

Well, I’ve been painting for about 30 years, now, and I will tell you what offers me the most inspiration for my continuing work. First, I seldom find myself for lack of steam, or becoming frustrated with my work, as I enjoy painting nearly every type of subject that I encounter.

But, what inspires me while I’m seeking some ideas for a new painting is to google “oil painting youtube” on the internet, and I enjoy watching the hundreds of youtube videos that there are on the internet.

I am always inspired, or re-inspired, to try many of the METHODS that some of those painters use. I’m especially interested in portraiture, and landscapes, in terms of learning the techniques that other artists employ.

Although I’ve been painting for over 30 years, I still enjoy learning new methods, and even learning new styles. Awhile ago, the idea of impressionism intrigued me, and I studied a few paintings by Richard Schmid, and others. I tried a couple using that method, and I was actually quite successful, and managed to receive a couple of major awards for the first painting that I ever created using such a method.

I have learned that nearly any “style” can be learned, and learned quite effectively, by watching the youtube demos that so many artists have posted on the internet, as well as Googling “images” under whatever artist you may choose. But, don’t copy their paintings–emulate their style!

Just watch a few of those youtube posts, and then use the ones that inspire you the most. I guarantee you that you’ll never run out of steam, or become frustrated. And, my best advice to you is to never throw any painting away, or set it aside merely because “it doesn’t seem to be working out.” That is the death knell for beginning artists, because it begins to develop a habit–and a profoundly BAD habit, to boot! Finish every painting that you start, no matter how “bad” or “poor” you may consider it to be! You will learn from your mistakes on that one, and you will improve when working on the next one.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ellen E

I’m a fairly new watercolorist and I was having trouble with getting myself to start anything new. Then I discovered miniature painting. I found that by painting in miniature, I was painting constantly, never having trouble thinking of something new to paint. I’m not sure why that caused me to suddenly blossom but I think maybe it’s psychological. I don’t “waste” paper and paint when I paint very small things. I put the word “waste” in quotation marks because we never really waste our supplies. We’re starting out with good intentions and even if we don’t achieve our initial vision for the work, we always learn from our work. If nothing else, we learn what NOT to do to achieve what we want to achieve.

What others have said about remedies is true. Just don’t try to force what your creative self is obviously not producing. Just totally shift to NOT painting and don’t worry about it. Every artist of every medium will have times when the Muse seems to have died or at least went to sleep. Doing other things will re-prime the pump.

What I do is change to another of my creative pursuits. Doing watercolors is new to me but I have lots of other creative pursuits. I alternate. Right now I’m involved in a miniature painting exchange. But I also have other projects—I want to create a doll house, furniture and dolls for my great-grand-daughter. She’s only a year old, but the project will take me long enough that she’ll be old enough to appreciate it by the time it’s done. I’m also writing the story of my life. And I’m working on beadwork for my DIL’s belly dance outfit. If I go stale on any project, I just switch to work on another one for awhile.

Sarah

WFMartin, what a brilliant suggestion! How fun!

sarahrosefineart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.