Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Holbein color chart, lightfastness and pigment information

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Barbara WC

Searching on the web, I haven’t been able to find the manufacturer information for lightfastness nor pigment ingredients for Holbein oil pastels. I wrote to Holbein (US division) and they sent me in the mail a nice little packet containing a color chart (shows actual sticks, I’ve seen this on the web), lightfastness information and pigment information. Also a page on where to get Holbein products.

If anyone is interested, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL=”[email protected]][email protected][/EMAIL] Include your snail mail address.

Barbara

truck driver

Thank you for this information. Email sent.

RG

Pat Isaac

Thanks, Barbara. That may be the same info sheet I have, but I will check.

truck driver

:clap: Barbara,

I wanted to thank you publicly for the effort you went to in getting this information to me. You are AWESOME :clap:

RG

Scarefishcrow

Thanks, Barbara. I have a pdf with Munsell hue, crhoma and value as well as “durability” ratings for all the sticks in the 225 set that used to be in their online catalog but is no more apparently. In fairness to Holbein, save for the list of specific pigments in their OP’s, they had online considerably more detailed information on their sticks than some other manufacturers even though it was not necessarilly in their own interest. E.g., they openly made available the LF values that showed Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber were listed as NOT DURABLE.

This is a positive to have the pigment data, however. Hopefully we can someday have a standard that specifies what information should be provided and what tests should be performed on all art products specifically marketed as “Artist” grade.

Thanks for your work.

Bill
                        :heart: :music: :music: :heart:

BILL -- GUIDE for Oil Pastel (OP) ______[/COLOR][/COLOR]
                        [FONT=Arial Narrow]OP LINKS [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]: [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
                        Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. Van Gogh
                        DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR](Various)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

SammyH

Barbara,
                            Thank you for this information. I just discovered it since I haven’t been browsing the talk forum much lately.
                            My request has been emailed to Holbein. Hope the print is big enough to read. These old eyes have trouble reading a lot of the fine print on charts. This should come in handy when I start teaching OPs.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Sam/Sammy :heart:

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
                            My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Hello everyone :wave:

I sent an email to the link you provided, but they never responded. I will try again, but while I’m waiting, can anyone tell me the lightfastness and/or pigment info on my fav Holbein stick – AOP 38E1 Indigo ? Thanks!

-Heidi [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Barbara WC

Hi Heidi-

All values of the HOlbein Indigo have 3 stars- which is Holbein’s highest in it’s lightfast scale- “permanent”.

Pigments- Pthalo Blue, Carbon Black and Titanium Oxide.

HOpe this helps.

Barbara

Awesome Barbara, yes, that helps a lot! Thanks for looking that up for me. I really appreciate it!

-Heidi [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sutra

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say that the email address still works. I wrote yesterday and received an email response that a packet was on the way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.