Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Glitter in a pastel painting?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This might sound like an odd thing to want to do, but it’s very important that I incorporate glitter into a portrait I’m about to start. I’m most likely going to be working on sanded paper (Art Spectrum Colourfix or Mi Tientes) and I’m trying to figure out how I can still maintain the archival quality of the painting whilst incorporating glitter into a section of it – not in a tacky, dominating way, but a “ghosting” effect in one corner or in the clothing, or in a pendant being worn or *something*.

The glitter itself has an intense personal significance to the person who is going to be receiving it. There is a product called “diamond dust” that is very fine and I am thinking I might use that rather than the cheap commercial kind that first springs to mind. Has anyone ever used glitter in a pastel painting and if so, how did you incorporate it into the medium without destroying the pastel or using a glue that runs the risk of yellowing? I’m not sure how to “mix it” together or get the glitter to “stick” if that makes sense?

Blayne

Could you lay the painting flat and mask off and spray the area where you want the glitter with an archival spray adhesive and then sprinkle on the glitter? Another idea, honey has been used in the past as a binder in pastels, so maybe use honey?

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Blayne C & C always welcome
            "Art and I have an agreement... I won't ask where we are going and art won't ask, "Why me?" (Bob Brendle)
            Anonymous

That’s a good idea, I might try that! Another thing I had thought of, Krylon make a spray can called “Glitter Blast” and one of them is “Diamond Dust” – not sure about the archival qualities of that product though, if it will yellow and if it will adhere to a pastel underpainting?! (The Diamond Dust type of glitter itself is glass not plastic etc. so the glitter itself would be fine to use)

Ron

My wife has a glitter “spritz” thingy. She is a big cardmaker/scrapbooker. Ive used it before on backgrounds, small pump the size of a pen. She had a gold, and silver color. So, check suppliers to scrapbooking and cardmaking…..and they are pretty good about using archival products.

Actually, she says you can make your own easily. Get small travel size spray bottle, fill 3/4 with 90% rubbing alcohol, and add 2-3 drops of glitter paint (whatever color you want), and shake to mix.

*Deirdre*

I’ve moved this to Pastel Talk…but don’t worry, I’ve left a redirect for you, just in case!:)

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
                        [/COLOR] [

robertsloan2

If you want a glitter effect that’s subtle but powerful, there’s a nice archival pastel product you can use. Coarse White or Black Pearlescent Medium Pan Pastel is glitter, it gives a beautiful glitter effect. It is white or black, tinting it takes using another Pan Pastel. But you could use that in your specific glitter area mixed with other Pan Pastels to get the right hues, and it will look like you pasted glitter on the painting. Then just work around the Pan Pastels area with sticks.

Take a look at the upper area of this piece, I did it with the Coarse black medium to get a dark mix over red and violet, but I laid it on pretty heavy. Treated it like black. How much you use and how much color you mix in will take a bit of experiment. White does tint what it’s used with. Conceivably you could mix White or Black Coarse Pearlescent Medium with the Colorless Blender too in order to get a more translucent application.

Depending on whether it’s on a dark area or a light one, use Black or White Coarse Pearlescent Medium for glitter. This stuff is wonderful.

Alternative, if you want to use that Diamond Dust glass glitter and adhere it archivally with something clear, consider getting a bottle of SpectraFix casein based fixative concentrate. Someone on a past thread was underpainting using the undiluted Concentrate to create a rock hard surface. Try sticking it onto something with that. SpectraFix goes with pastels well and is a pretty sticky stuff. It should work. I’d trust that more than glues. Basically get it wet and shake the glitter into it heavily, then let it dry.

Both of those are archival artists’ products rather than something intended for journals or ephemeral decorations. I like the idea of glass glitter, it’d last a lot better than the cheap stuff.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

robertsloan2

If you want a glitter effect that’s subtle but powerful, there’s a nice archival pastel product you can use. Coarse White or Black Pearlescent Medium Pan Pastel is glitter, it gives a beautiful glitter effect. It is white or black, tinting it takes using another Pan Pastel. But you could use that in your specific glitter area mixed with other Pan Pastels to get the right hues, and it will look like you pasted glitter on the painting. Then just work around the Pan Pastels area with sticks.

Take a look at the upper area of this piece, I did it with the Coarse black medium to get a dark mix over red and violet, but I laid it on pretty heavy. Treated it like black. How much you use and how much color you mix in will take a bit of experiment. White does tint what it’s used with. Conceivably you could mix White or Black Coarse Pearlescent Medium with the Colorless Blender too in order to get a more translucent application.

Depending on whether it’s on a dark area or a light one, use Black or White Coarse Pearlescent Medium for glitter. This stuff is wonderful.

Alternative, if you want to use that Diamond Dust glass glitter and adhere it archivally with something clear, consider getting a bottle of SpectraFix casein based fixative concentrate. Someone on a past thread was underpainting using the undiluted Concentrate to create a rock hard surface. Try sticking it onto something with that. SpectraFix goes with pastels well and is a pretty sticky stuff. It should work. I’d trust that more than glues. Basically get it wet and shake the glitter into it heavily, then let it dry.

Both of those are archival artists’ products rather than something intended for journals or ephemeral decorations. I like the idea of glass glitter, it’d last a lot better than the cheap stuff.

Sorry about the double post, don’t know how that happened.

Archival spray adhesive might work too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

SAS Designs

If you are going to use a fixative on the piece, you might also try some of the “glitters” usually sold with polymer clays. There are many different colors, and textures. I don’t know if they’d adhere without some kind of a fixative.

Rob – those new Pan Pastels look glorious. I saw them on DB, and was wondering how they’d look. THANK YOU AGAIN for being SUCH a generous teacher. suzy

ligerwolve

Schmincke makes a range of pastels that are glittery. It’s very fine and pretty. I’ve used the white to sprinkle over other colours too.

[FONT="Lucida Console"]LIGERWOLVE DESIGNS
                                        [FONT="Courier New"]ligerwolvedesigns.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.