WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Suburbia, Maryland

Hails from United States
A fun Review of The Baltimore Gallery of Art

I did a fun little review of the Baltimore Museum of Art on my blog. It's always so inspring to see art with my own eyes! Do you have a favorite museum you've been to lately?

http://www.mylifewithmonkeys.com/201...lo-museum.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
A Local Legend
Near Barcelona.

Hails from Canada
Re: A fun Review of The Baltimore Gallery of Art

Good post on your blog, Kellee.

I've just got back from a second visit to the exhibit at CaixaForum here in Barcelona, many Impressionists from the Clark Collection, especially a lot of very good Renoirs.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Thank you so much!
my hometown museum is one of my favorites, the SFMOMA...its just a museum close to my heart!
when I get the time, i want to compile reviews of tons of art museums, since its hard to find good reviews on blogs!
thanks for the review!
www.newsfromthenudest.blogspot.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Suburbia, Maryland

Hails from United States

Thank-you! I LOVE the SFMOMA. I saw a weird multi media show in 1999 with Bill Viola. I thought I didn't like it, but I have never forgotten it! I have seen a few museums in Europe, but I never made it to Spain...maybe next time!

Maybe I will write more about museum visits in the future, but I am almost always writing about art or the process of becoming an artist! I hope you all come back again!
www.mylifewithmonkeys.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM

i definitely will!
Before going to France, I assumed that there would be some blog that just churned out reviews of art museums and key highlights etc. (to make sure that I wouldn't miss anything)
turns out, there wasn't, so i was going to try to make on myself.
so far i havn't had the time, but soon!
love the review! I've always wanted to go to Baltimore to see the Cones Collection.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Barcelona

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyqueen
I did a fun little review of the Baltimore Museum of Art on my blog. It's always so inspring to see art with my own eyes! Do you have a favorite museum you've been to lately?

http://www.mylifewithmonkeys.com/201...lo-museum.html

I notice in your blog you write:

Quote:
No matter how hard I try, I just don’t care for Matisse. I’ve been to his home in Nice, France and I have seen his art in many galleries but I think his work looks unfinished. It’s sad because he worked tirelessly to achieve that style and well, it’s just meh. I have the urge to take the canvas home and see if I can’t help him get the job done!

Matisse, along with Picasso and Marcel Duchamp, is commonly regarded as one of the three artists who define the revolutionary developments in the plastic arts in the opening decades of the 20th century. Matisse, whether you like his work or not, is responsible for significant developments in painting and sculpture. He was a great influence on many artists.

Henri Matisse, 1904, Luxe, calme et volupté, 98 x 118.5 cm, oil on canvas, Musée d'Orsay, Paris

Henri Matisse, 1905, Woman with Hat, 79.4 x 59.7 cm, oil on canvas, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

Henri Matisse, 1905-1906, Le bonheur de vivre, The joy of life, 145 x 241 cm, Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia

Notice the dates on these works. The latter was executed before Picasso's infamous Les Demoiselles d'Avignon.

I've been to the Musée d'Orsay in Paris on many occasions for the sole purpose of standing in front of Luxe, calme et volupté, and never regretted it once.

CC
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 AM

i noticed that she didn't like matisse too (and was surprised/disagreed etc...the only reason i knew of the baltimore musuem of art was because it housed the cones collection...
my one question: why is Les Demoiselles d'Avignon infamous? (i also recalled that it was painted after Le bonheur de vivre etc.)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Barcelona

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffmasterchang
my one question: why is Les Demoiselles d'Avignon infamous? (i also recalled that it was painted after Le bonheur de vivre etc.)

The word "infamous" to describe Picasso's was used for several reasons:

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon was originally titled The Brothel of Avignon, but the change of name takes nothing away from its meaning. The street in Barcelona by the name of Avignon (after which the painting was named) was well know for prostitution. Its resemblance to Cézanne's Les Grandes Baigneuses, Gauguin's statue Oviri and El Greco's Opening of the Fifth Seal (reproduced below) has been extensively discussed by critics, and is now widely praised. Yet at the time of its first exhibition in 1916, the painting was deemed immoral. In the nine years prior to its creation, Picasso had always referred to it as Le Bordel d'Avignon, but when the art critic André Salmon managed its first exposition he retitled it Les Demoiselles d'Avignon to lessen its scandalous impact on the public. Picasso never liked Salmon's title, preferring las chicas de Avignon instead.

El Greco, The Vision of Saint John, Opening of the Fifth Seal, 1608-1614, oil on canvas, with added strips 224.8 x 199.4 cm

Some critics argued the painting was a reaction to Henri Matisse's Le bonheur de vivre (reproduced above) and Blue Nude (see below). Although Matisse's Fauve paintings were widely derided—"A pot of paint has been flung in the face of the public", declared the critic Camille Mauclair—they also attracted some favorable attention. Matisse's Woman with a Hat (reproduced above) was singled out for the most attacks. The purchase of this work by Gertrude and Leo Stein had a very positive effect on Matisse at the time, who was demoralized from the bad reception of his work.

Matisse's notoriety as the leader of the new movement in modern painting continued to grow throughout 1906 and 1907, and Matisse attracted a following of artists including Braque, André Derain, Maurice de Vlaminck, Jean Metzinger and others. Picasso's work had transited through his Blue period and his Rose period and while he had a considerable following, too, his reputation was tame in comparison to his rival Matisse. To make matters worse Matisse shocked the French public again at the 1907 Société des Artistes Indépendants when he exhibited his painting Blue Nude, Souvenir de Biskra (below), executed early in 1907. The Blue Nude was one of the paintings that would later create an international sensation at the Armory Show of 1913 in New York City, along with Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase.

Matisse, Blue Nude, Souvenir de Biskra, oil on canvas, 92 x 140 cm, Baltimore Museum of Art

By the spring of 1907 when Picasso began painting Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, until its completion later that year, he was competing with Matisse for the preeminent position of being the perceived new leader of Modern painting. Upon its completion the shock and the impact of the painting propelled Picasso into the center of controversy and virtually knocked Matisse and Fauvism back stage, literally ending the Fauve movement by the following year. (Source)

Picasso Pablo, 1907, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, Oil on canvas, 8' x 7' 8" (243.9 x 233.7 cm) MOMA New York

Infamous, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon was indeed.

CC

Last edited by Coldcreation2 : 02-12-2012 at 03:55 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Nice blog! I sort of agree with you (the OP) on Matisse and Durer (I would like to like the former, but rarely do, I more often like the latter ).

Uh. What's retro-feminism??
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Suburbia, Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond
Nice blog! I sort of agree with you (the OP) on Matisse and Durer (I would like to like the former, but rarely do, I more often like the latter ).

Uh. What's retro-feminism??

About that word:

I use the word "retro-feminist" to decribe my domesticated state. I stay home and manage the house and home in a good old fashioned do-it-yourself way, but I do it by choice and with high respect from my husband who never asked me to stay home. I believe women should empower themselves, be educated and ready to face the world - but if they love to stay home then that can be just as empowering!

As for the discusion on Matisse:

Thank-you so much for a great background art history lesson! I may not like Matisse, but that does not mean that I do not respect him and his influences. Just because someone was great in their time does not mean that everyone has to love what they did. The paintings posted in this post are examples of his better work - all of which I have seen with my own eyes. But a vast majority of his work I do not care for and I have seen a lot of his work, even at his home in Nice. Aparently I am not alone in this thought!

For every artist I come across I do at least one thing: I respect them because they have made something and then shared it with the world. If they are famous, then I recognize the fact that they have been influenced by everyone who came before and will influence everyone who came after. All artist "steal" from each other. I have no doubt that, though I do not love Matisse's body of work as a whole, I will find his influence and bold use of color in my own work someday. That is just how the magic of art works.

I hope I can share another museum review this month! Thank-you so much for stopping by and sharing with me!

Last edited by monkeyqueen : 03-01-2012 at 07:31 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyqueen
About that word:

I use the word "retro-feminist" to decribe my domesticated state. I stay home and manage the house and home in a good old fashioned do-it-yourself way, but I do it by choice and with high respect from my husband who never asked me to stay home. I believe women should empower themselves, be educated and ready to face the world - but if they love to stay home then that can be just as empowering!

As for the discusion on Matisse:

Thank-you so much for a great background art history lesson! I may not like Matisse, but that does not mean that I do not respect him and his influences.....

That actually made more sense than most things I have heard about feminism lately

Anyway. I often think there is a bit too much feeling in visual arts that everyone should "get" everything, whereas in music, people are more understanding to the fact that some kinds of music just don't rock your boat. Even more than Matisse, I am just not very attracted to Cezanne. That's just me. I do know he was tremendously influential on later cubists etc, so like you I acknowledge that fact. My own favorite, Velazquez, is clearly not to everyone's taste either. I still like to bring him up in discussions, just to try to "convert" people, but I'm probably not very successful . Oh well....