Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Anybody get any new Digital Art tools? – I did

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Elainepsq

I got an iPad air, and a 1st gen Apple Pencil. I have held off on an iPad, because I just didn’t think I’d use it for more than digital painting, and after all, I can do that on my laptop and desktop. (both of which I’ve needed to replace in the last 2 years)
        But my husband bought me an Apple Watch, and I get enough eye strain reading on my phone, so a smaller device was not going to be any better.
        So I took back the watch and got the iPad. Now, off to get apps, and a larger purse, so I can carry it with me, and hopefully, when I have to wait anywhere I can be drawing and painting. I started with SketchBook, since it’s free, and of course, I’m going to get Artrage, (I use Artrage exclusively right now). I’d like to look at Rebelle and maybe Procreate. Any other iPad apps you love?

I was going to post my first painting, but then I’d have to move my post to Digital Showcase. :lol: :lol: So I’ll just close by saying, watch for my first painting over in Digital Showcase.

I enjoyed SketchClub, also free with an extensive free brush collection on my iPad 2 not a pressure sensitive pen.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

I only use Procreate. It is well designed, lots of brushes and you can make your own, and they are always updating, and amazingly I have only paid for it once. lol Though I guess it’s only pc software that you have to pay for every update.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
        Every painting is a new adventure.

Clip Studio Paint

Pros: it allows for more robust brush creation, text, hard shapes, better layering options, screentones and effects, and has a free brush library (shared) that pops the brushes right into the app for you. You can save directly to the cloud and sync docs between your desktop machine and your iPad, which is great when I want to draw at the library and mooch their free air conditioning and wi-fi in the summer.

Cons: the interface looks like the cockpit of the space shuttle

Cons: the interface looks like the cockpit of the space shuttle

Certainly not a program to take on lightly :(

Doug

Elainepsq

I’m reviving this thread, because I went back this morning to review. I’ve been asked to submit a proposal for an iPad class. I’ve taught digital art before, but never on iPad. I’m trying to decide on a program to start out with- there are so many!
            I could do a survey form here on Wetcanvas, but I’d really like your comments and reasoning as well. My criteria is 1. Easy for artists who might not be very tech savvy 2. Emulates natural materials – ie, wet paints and 3. does it come for Android tablets?
            Clip Studio Paint, sounds very involved, even for me- not something to start people with.
            Artrage for desktop, but the iPad version doesn’t let you work with a large brush. 100% is still quite small.
            ArtSet, I’m looking at, looks good as far as working like natural materials, but haven’t upgraded to the full version yet.
            Would you all please give me your opinions? What program would you suggest for starting on?

George 51

I got an ipad and procreate for Christmas and have found procreate to be an easy software to use yet very powerful. A lot can be achieved with just two or three brushes.
                George

It’s too bad they don’t make Procreate for Android as well if you need that option. I went back to iPad because I couldn’t find an app I really liked for Android.

mkmcreations.com

I tried Infinite Painter and Medibang Paint for Android.

Doug

floblue

Procreate is my favorite. But I also use affinity designer, I do a lot of drawing with Procreate. But sometimes If I want to add text or resize or do some good vector drawings I use the affinity designer. I also use Vectornator, creative suite, but overall Procreate is the easiest to use. You can import your own photos, and make your own brushes etc. it does a lot.

Vorpal

I just downloaded Tayasui Sketch for the iPad yesterday. The watercolor tools are impressive.

Susan

Elainepsq

Thanks for mentioning that. I just downloaded the free version. Sounds like the pro is worth it at only $5.99. I want wet paint!

Vorpal

This was done in Tayasui Pro. It’s a great little app.

Susan

That’s nice, looks very natural.

mkmcreations.com

Vorpal

I like Tayasui’s graphite pencil, too. The program is much easier to handle than Procreate, whose gigantic brush selection drove me crazy. Do I want the Wispy Hard Start Wash brush or the Bubbly Dry Brush….??

I haven’t played with Adobe Sketch that much, but the watercolor tools are unique.

Susan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.