WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 03:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
you are what you eat

I don't know the stats on how many in the general population of the first world eat really crappy foods like mcrottens and other highly industrialized 'food' products, but i expect it's a pretty high number given the obesity epidemic.

I do know that if you consistently eat crap - your physical, mental, emotional states don't fair well.
I do know it's recommended, wisely, to do your grocery shopping only around the outer perimeter of isles - step into those isles and it's mostly processed ick, filler and fake 'foods', junk foods.

Add that not so li'l food options conundrum to the ever present political strife, financial stresses, general stresses of life of the average human ...

I'll get to my point, which is: How, besides financial gain, convenience and ignorance, did 'we' become So indoctrinated into being so inundated with foods that actually are so over processed/sprayed/force fed cause there no nutrition left in the soils, that there's really little to no real nutrition in any of it.

I'm leaning towards conspiracy theories - are the powers that be blind to it, or are they scheming to make 'us' all stupid.

Tho 'they' did recently flip the food pyramid to more green/less meat/carbs, School cafeteria food is low grade, a cost issue they say, but at what cost, really, in the long run.

la

link to:
How your gut bacteria influences your behavior, emotions and thinking

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/july...king-1.5065955

eat your greens
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 05:02 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: you are what you eat

I am coffee
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 06:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

In a word... McDonald's and other fast food joints are all the same. You can go into a McDonald's or Burger King or Arby's or Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips or Five Guys (which is excellent; why anyone would get a fast food takeout burger anywhere else is beyond me... maybe because you do have to wait awhile compared to Mickey D's) anywhere and find exactly the same fare you find in one anywhere else. It's reliable and predictable. People prefer that to taking a chance on something they don't know. The same marketing principle made Conrad Hilton rich. You know what you're going to get even before you check in.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 PM
A Local Legend
Central Indiana

Hails from United States

There are still Arthur Treacher's someplace? Tell me how far I have to go to find one and I'm on my way!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Don't know. There used to be one in Delaware someplace, along the coast, but that was nineteen years ago and we passed it by on the way to Maryland.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:16 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Years ago there was a documentary film titled Supersize Me, in which the film maker lived for a month on nothing but what could be purchased at McDonald's. It supposedly showed how unhealthy McDonald's is. Of course, the dice were loaded, so to speak, and the film actually showed nothing of the sort.

I have long fantasized about making a film in which I demonstrate that I can live on McD's for a month and both remain healthy and lose weight. Alas, I cannot afford even the occasional McD's burger, let alone live on the stuff for a whole month. :-)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Sugar is arguably a common factor in evaluating poor nutrition and health ailments. Consumers often are savvy enough to avoid the donuts while consuming things like breakfast cereals, processed spaghetti sauce, fruit yogurt, or common ketchup which all have more sugar in them than the treat from the bakery.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

years ago there was an experiment with Aborigines from aus ... a 'welcome to the real world, you poor starving creatures' kind of thing.
diabetes ensued.
poor nutrition = bad health and i'll bet more than a nickle it's connected to most diseases, cancers, alzheimers, et al et al.
It's akin to chemical warfare really, via the food system.
yum
Assuming you have a yard:
Is it legal in your state/city to grow a garden in your yard?
Is it legal to collect rain water?
Compost? are you allowed?

Jon, quite correct, yup, sugar is a sweet, addictive poison and it's in Everything *almost

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)

Last edited by La_ : 10-12-2019 at 12:14 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:08 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

When I was on the Keto diet for about a year, I looked great, lost weight, felt super.
I got tired of shopping for food with no sugar and giving up delicious carbs. Also going out to eat with friends and family was tough.....yeah, the crusty Italian bread???? YUM.
I caved and I'm now my old self, but I exercise like crazy and it helps.
The Mediterranean diet is sounding like the next best bet.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

I live on a diet of organic brown rice, fruit, veg. fish, yoghurt, cheese... I feel very healthy in mind and body. Certainly a proper diet makes the mind clearer. If I eat junk (rarely) I can feel it immediately; tired, sick...when you are on a good diet junk can have a dramatic effect because the body is not used to it.
As for a conspiracy I don't know. I would not be surprised. My philosophy is to reject everything, then take the good bits back. I'm glad I'm not materialistic; books and knowledge are food for the mind.
As you say, the soil is dead. A carrot is often just a piece of starch shaped like a carrot, with little nutritional value. I think we need to be discerning about what we put into our bodies. It pays for sure because ever since I started eating healthily I noticed a great difference in mind and body, almost immediately. The only food sin I commit is coffee, I'm addicted :-(
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Sugar is arguably a common factor in evaluating poor nutrition and health ailments. Consumers often are savvy enough to avoid the donuts while consuming things like breakfast cereals, processed spaghetti sauce, fruit yogurt, or common ketchup which all have more sugar in them than the treat from the bakery.

Figs, dates, and grapes are good if you need a natural sugar fix...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnPassant
I live on a diet of organic brown rice, fruit, veg. fish, yoghurt, cheese... I feel very healthy in mind and body. Certainly a proper diet makes the mind clearer. If I eat junk (rarely) I can feel it immediately; tired, sick...when you are on a good diet junk can have a dramatic effect because the body is not used to it.
As for a conspiracy I don't know. I would not be surprised. My philosophy is to reject everything, then take the good bits back. I'm glad I'm not materialistic; books and knowledge are food for the mind.
As you say, the soil is dead. A carrot is often just a piece of starch shaped like a carrot, with little nutritional value. I think we need to be discerning about what we put into our bodies. It pays for sure because ever since I started eating healthily I noticed a great difference in mind and body, almost immediately. The only food sin I commit is coffee, I'm addicted :-(

Yuck.

I'll spot you the yoghurt (Stoneyfield Farms full fat) and a good slice of New York State zillion year old Mega Sharp cheddar (Sugarbush eight year old Extra Sharp from VT will also do), but gimme a big plate of pasta, or a chicken or beef stir fry, or a burger accompanied by Cape Cod hot and spicy jalapeno potato chips, and a combination of Hagen-Daz Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Chocolate Chip for dessert.

We all gotta go sometime.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Im 5'10" 170 pounds.70 years old.I eat food.Im going for pizza in a few minutes.My Dad used to say"if I can't eat what I like so I can live longer what the hell do I want to live longer for"?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Armstrong Valley

Hails from United States

“What is this mind of ours: what are these atoms with consciousness?” asked the late Richard Feynman. “Last week’s potatoes!”
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshane
Im 5'10" 170 pounds.70 years old.I eat food.Im going for pizza in a few minutes.My Dad used to say"if I can't eat what I like so I can live longer what the hell do I want to live longer for"?

Excellent. Your father was wise.

I eat whatever the hell I please... in moderation. That's the key. Some people alas are born with a metabolism that's too slow, and they are gonna put on weight no matter what. Some lucky people can eat a meal that could choke a pig (brownie points to anyone who gets the movie reference) and never gain an ounce. For the rest of us, it's somewhere in between.

Who wants to live to be a ninety year old ascetic?