WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

I think people are getting hung up on the "designers" word and not realizing that that's just what it used to be called during the Mad Men era for commercial illustration. Gouache has come a long way and changed and evolved. Some of this really is down to personal preference and how you work and your style.

One think I noticed about DaVinci is that PV19 Quin Violet is used for Aliz. Crimson and 2 other Reds colors whose name escapes me. What are they doing to make these colors look different?
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Has anyone used Royal & Langnickel?

This is one of the top picks that comes up on amazon. 24 tubes at 12ml for about 11 usd, which seems exceptionally cheap, yet it has good reviews.

Last edited by 0125a3c : 02-05-2016 at 08:37 PM.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Cotswolds

Hails from United Kingdom

I like winsor & newton gouache brand best. They do a really good introduction set for about £20, sometimes it's on offer and it can be cheaper. You get 10x14ml colours which is fab. I have bought a superior brand, Horadam, but I've only got the titanium white and it's, of course, more expensive.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM

I'm using Royal Talens Gouache. I really like the texture of it.

The color chart is here. They have proper lightfast and pigment information.

I've also tried W&N but preferred the Talens texture and feel. Talens is cheaper here the W&N too.

I've also tried Maire, which is a cheap Chinese brand. Their watercolors are ok but I really didn't like their gouache.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 AM
poland

Hails from Poland

Allright so I've been testing my W&N gouache for quite some time now, and can honestly recommend it. If you're living in Europe it's the best quality/money value.

Here are few more examples, all done using W&N Designers Gouache ( except of the blue troll's hair which is made using Faber Castell Polychromos pencils):

I've some Schmincke Norma Oil colours and they are wonderful, so I'm about to try their horadam gouache too.

There's also a temptation from Japan, Holbein gouache which ( I heard ) has even more rich colours than W&N.

If you're from US then M Graham has an amazing quality gouache as well.

When it comes to Talens gouache it's a student grade paint I ahve a few cvolours, it's dirt cheap in Europe. I live in Poland and you can buy a 50 ml jar of Talens gouache for as cheap as 3,5 $ ( tax included ). Talens uses a lot of filler and their colours are not as vivid as the ones from leading brands like Holbein, M Graham, Schmincke or Winsor&Newton.

That being said, you can still do cool stuff with these paints as it always comes down to your skill and creativity.

I Might do some colour chart comparison when I get a new set of gouache, but that might take a while.

Last edited by icecoldart : 03-05-2016 at 05:57 AM.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2016, 04:17 AM

Talens has three grades of Gouache, Extra Fine , Art Creation and Ecola. I think the extra fine ones are "artist" quality and IMHO better than W&N gouache.

https://www.royaltalens.com/en-gb/pr.../brand/talens/

I painted this using the Talens Extra Fine Gouache on pastel paper...

There is another brand locally called Sakura Poster Color that comes in little jars. They are very cheap but don't have lightfast or pigment information. The colors are very vibrant and there is a huge range of them.

Last edited by widdly : 03-10-2016 at 04:21 AM.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2016, 02:20 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

An interesting and infirmative thread.

IMHO a thread like this need never die, it is good reference.

I would dearly love to be able to sketch in gouache like James Gurney and I have long admired the mini gouache paintings of Deborah Seccor. I have tubes of W&N designers gouache but find they dry up on the palette and are difficult to re-wet.

Of late I bought a set of Caran d'Ache pan gouache paints. They look like a children's set but I find they re-wet easily and are great for sketching though a limited colour range.

We have a Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio.

Doug
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM
poland

Hails from Poland

Widdly:

The ones I have are their so called "extra fine" quality, quite a few colours actually. Here's the comparison between W&N Permanent Rose and Talens Extra Fine Rose both PV 19.

Now on the first sight they may appear very similiar, however this is a scan, and the difference is slightly more apparent in the real world.

The swatches were painted on Fabriano Artistico 100% cotton paper.

I had to use twice as much paint from Talens to have similiar intensity for this test. All of their paints are more watery, so esentially if you would hav ethe same 15 ml tubes for both there would be more ACTUAL paint in Winsor and Newton. However some may find their more fluid consistency better, however I like to have my paint nice thick and creamy for better coverage and as much water as I would like to myself. So being a quite nice looking rose on it's own it does not make as vivd mixes as its competitor, and that is something that a lot of people don't take into consideration...

Talens did change their website and I cannot find the info anymore, but I remmember that they have confirmed using tomato starch as opposed to gum arabic like WN.

Don't get me wrong Talen's gouache is a good deal especially in Europe and even more so here in Poland where I could buy all of their 45 colours in 16 ml jars for 75 $... And there are certain colours I'd safely buy like the ones based on Pthalos, as those are very strong pigments.

Overall their offer consist far less single pigment paints than those of W&N, Schmincke Horadam, Holbein, M Graham etc. So I'd shop wisely.

When I'lll be runing low on gouache I'll try to order some tubes from Holbein and Schmincke and review them here.

Below a few more examples done with W&N designers gouache.

#84   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
East Sussex

Royal Talens Extra Fine is thixotropic, it is a useful property for some applications. I have never seen another brand that had that in gouache.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
East Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
An interesting and infirmative thread.

IMHO a thread like this need never die, it is good reference.

I would dearly love to be able to sketch in gouache like James Gurney and I have long admired the mini gouache paintings of Deborah Seccor. I have tubes of W&N designers gouache but find they dry up on the palette and are difficult to re-wet.

Of late I bought a set of Caran d'Ache pan gouache paints. They look like a children's set but I find they re-wet easily and are great for sketching though a limited colour range.

We have a Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio.

Doug

Gouache works best made up fresh for each session, most tubes are hard if not impossible to re-wet.

I could not see if the Caran Dache pan set was lightfast, do you know if it is? Have your sketches faded?
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Lukas Designers Gouache yet, but I love it. After trying the SoHo Urban Artist gouache (cheap student stuff, I know; it was okay but nothing special) and Winsor & Newton gouache (which I hated because of the inconsistencies between colours, ie. some took hours to dry and had a glossy finish, when gouache is supposed to be matte), I had more or less decided gouache wasn't for me. When I was cleaning out my art supply cupboard one day I found a box of Lukas gouache I'd bought from Jerry's a few years earlier and decided I might as well review them for my blog before I put them on eBay, so I did a painting (the capsicum and chillis in my signature) and I loved them. Same consistency, all opaque and from memory very cheap for that 12 set.

It's possible I just got really unlucky with the Winsor & Newton, but my experience with them really put me off buying any more of their gouache (I love most of their other products, though).
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Sorry RCTrent I somehow missed your post.

As far as I can see the Caran d'Ache gouache are lightfast as I assume most gouache due to the heavy pigment load.

Doug
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJFleming
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Lukas Designers Gouache yet, but I love it. After trying the SoHo Urban Artist gouache (cheap student stuff, I know; it was okay but nothing special) and Winsor & Newton gouache (which I hated because of the inconsistencies between colours, ie. some took hours to dry and had a glossy finish, when gouache is supposed to be matte), I had more or less decided gouache wasn't for me. When I was cleaning out my art supply cupboard one day I found a box of Lukas gouache I'd bought from Jerry's a few years earlier and decided I might as well review them for my blog before I put them on eBay, so I did a painting (the capsicum and chillis in my signature) and I loved them. Same consistency, all opaque and from memory very cheap for that 12 set.

My issue with Lukas gouache is that it's all mixes and misrepresented pigment names. For example, even Burnt Sienna is a mix of Yellow and Red Oxides, rather than the single inexpensive pigment I expect. Cadmium Yellow Deep is actually Hansa Yellow and Azo Orange. It's not a Cadmium at all, but it is not labeled as a "hue", and it is not as lightfast as a cadmium either. Those are just two examples, but if you look through the technical information, you can see that it's rampant throughout the line. If that doesn't matter to somebody, then it's not an issue at all. But if I need an opaque yellow and reach for the Lukas Cadmium Yellow Medium, I'm going to be very disappointed with the degree of transparency.
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
usa

Hails from United States

Hi All,

I have used Winsor Newton gouache for many years on the thinnest paper held down with clamps to decrease buckling to Yupo paper. I just looked at a few pieces done on Yupo well over 6-7 years old, that have held up well. With any product, you must understand the limitations of those products.

Peg

Last edited by PCool : 08-20-2016 at 12:55 PM.