Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design composition and transfer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I decided to post how i build a composition, then transfer the basic layout to canvas. I just began this process a few moths ago, so far it works for me. The canvas will be 16 x 12, i duplicate the dimension to paper, then dissect into thirds. Once i have the basic design, i then take tracing paper, tapping it securely making sure it’s square. With tracing paper i clean up the lines and adjusting lines as i feel they should be. After this i can add charcoal to the back of paper, producing a carbon copy affect. I can then take a ballpoint pen and go over the lines transferring the image. I show this approach, as it may help those struggling with building a composition ,and perhaps ease the process.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

I sometimes use a similar method though with less detail just to get the major shapes located relative to each other or to enlarge a smaller sketch for transfer onto my support.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
    blog.jlk.net

That’s good to know. When I began to paint I knew nothing about how to go about creating a sound composition, I feel I am only starting to learn now. There are many artist who have parents that are also artist, what a guide to have! I myself am the only artist type in my family, it’s been a school of hard knocks!

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

La_

always nice to see the comparison with the finished project as well
        when/if you get the chance, share it here :)

la

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.