Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Wilddog Portrait

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PATFROMSA

Done on Canson Mi Teintes with a gouache underpainting.
        Not sure if I should add a background. Opinions please.

fedetony

As is Looks great to me!!! The background would take the attention off the subject..
            Wonderful work! :)

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Triduana

This is beautiful! I agree with Federico, it doesn’t need a background. The colour of the paper works perfectly with the subject. Really good work.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

The Angler

This is lovely, your attention is drawn to where the dog is looking, not the background

CaliAnn

I think this is wonderful the way it is – lovely painting

Gorgeous work Pat. Have you looked at a digital manipulation of the background yet? Something like this?

Christel

It is a wonderful painting Pat and I would leave the background exactly as it is. It works perfectly against the dark patterns of the wild dog.

Chammi
                        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Very good, indeed!

Penny
                        I live in Wiltshire, England
                        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

skipstah

Beautiful job Pat. The rendering of the fur and eye is amazing!! I think I might agree with Christel. A very gentle gradation to the upper right would frame the dog well and adds a bit of spatial depth even. Regardless, Great work.

WEBSITE

PATFROMSA

Thank you all for your feedback. I am not as well versed in photoshop as I should be so shall have to swot up photomanipulation Christel. I really like your suggestion. Many thanks for the trouble.

I would leave the background as it is. At the moment, the neutral background color puts the attention on the dog – which is exactly where we should be looking. If you change the background you could maybe take the eye away from the dog – you’d need to try it our in a Photoshop version first.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Boafamily

This is a beautiful rendering.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.