WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait from a digital photo without tracing

DON'T SEND THE THE CROCKS! I am busy at work, I assure you. Just working on a zillion things at the same time as always. I had you almost done, them messed you back up, so here's the last photo before the mess-up. Will explain all, much, much later, but didn't want to leave anyone hanging!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

Ahhhh - good thing we kept the faith cos I can see myself coming through here - not just my face now but also a lot of my personality - this is fascinating on an objective art learning level and also on a subjective one. I will check back in the New Year to see if I have grown any more hair! Thanks for the post update - that's excellent progress in my view.

Marie's FaceBook Marie's Website
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

tali, it's obviously going to be a winner. One thing which makes the difference is the clean, decisive brush which shows all the way to the finish.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Immortalized
North Vancouver, B C, Canada

Hails from Canada

I am maiinly in the cam sections, but I love to look elsewhere too for composition ideas.

I love to see the grid you have drawn up for planning your work. I made a similar one with the GOLDEN MEAN LINES and a group of PERPECTIVE LINES for much same purpose in PLOTTING my subject placement. I had it put on clear plastic (at the photocopy store) so I can use it anywhere - on the P C, outside, over art reproductions in books and on the P C. Ir has helped me greatly - as yours has you.

An excellent image you have on the go here to be sure. Keep it up.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast
Gunskirchen/Gšnsanger, Austria

Hails from Austria

Tali, this is great work and I want to thank you. This is full of ideas and I am sure everybody will take another one. If you are looking for the one you helped, you found him, it's me. I think this is the first thread I will print out (if I make a book out of it I will send you some money).

Thanks for your work!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States

What a wonderful compliment, Alfred! Thank you, and no way about sending me money! (unless you want to buy a painting ) But with your skills Iím amazed anything I said was helpful. Your portraits are beautiful, what do you need me for.
Thanks Mickey, I REALLY tried to remember to keep each brushstroke separate and distinct.
Norm, great idea! Iíll have to do that Ö.soon, when I have a minute LOL! Thanks for the encouragement.
Marie, where are you? See?? You have hair now, I even gave you bangs as requested. I really need your input, does this look anything like you??
Here is my progress. Iím not quite happy with the likeness and there is still more modeling to be done to give her face more dimension. Iím off to go write another lengthy installment in documenting this, but thought Iíd post as to not leave anyone hanging. Any critiques or comments are always most welcome. I think this will be my last painting of the year, pretty cool!

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

Reporting in Teacher!

Regardless of what I may say, the best critic is my Beloved husband and this is how the conversation went with the above images:

Me: What do you think darling?
Him: It's Great!
Me: Tali has made me look too young though
Him: No - that's exactly how you look.

So Tali - Aside from that strange beard... I love it too and soon as I go and have my browny eyebrows dyed black like in this gorgious painting, it will be perfect!

I have to compliment you on the way you have mastered colour values not tones but actual colours. I love this portrait - and you have imagined my fringe most accurately. The colours in the skin are amazing - not lifelike but more real than reality - I love it (did I mention that?)

Really love it And I am longing to read the 'how to' when you get time to write that up. I am 2/3 through a new victim's portrait and I cannot believe the relative ease this time on getting her likeness doing it the 'Tali-Way' - .

Marie's FaceBook Marie's Website
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 AM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

Well tali, this is a most amazing record! The birth of a portrait! And though I have not actually met the 'Greensys' I would know her anywhere! And I think this is she! The only thing you missed is that it could have been a three quarter view with a croc in her lap....
LoOVE the painting!

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States

Thank you Marie and Corby. I feel badly that I've fallen behind on the documentation, but at least I've finished, and I did take photos all along the way, so perhaps they will tell what I don't have time to put into words. Here goes:

Once the paint set I started adding "light"

Final proofing: values first

then likeness--this time directly from the photo

last minor adjustments and final painting

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM

WOW! This is very informative and interesting. I am amazed with how clearly you were able to share your knowledge, you make it all look so simple. Stunning! Beautiful portrait.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

This is amazing. I like to use computer helping me draw, too. Your information really helps.

Life is a learning journey. C&C always welcome! My blog: Walking To The Light.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States

Incredible! What a generous soul you are Tali to share all this information & photos while you were so busy painting it!!

I've learned so much. I too have such a complete LOVE of color so to see this done without grays is amazing. You are an inspiration. Plus I love your spunky spirit. Thank you!!!

Marie you ARE such an obliging model & you did a terrific job just hanging out. But what a JOY to receive this portrait. You're a beauty & it shows.

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States

Susie, Flying, Cathleen, thank you. After posting on critique forum, I made a few more little tweeks and here's the final recap:

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Enthusiast
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM

Truly Amazing to check out the step by step....A Gift for sure. Wonderful painting. Thank you for sharing with everyone, it was a joy to see it all come to this.
I am awed and inspired.