WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which brands of pastel paper do you prefer? 3 preferences only please
Ampersand Pastelbord 53 15.01%
Art Spectrum Colourfix 125 35.41%
Canson Mi-Tientes 108 30.59%
Fabriano Tiziano 24 6.80%
Fisher400 19 5.38%
Pastelmat by Clairefontaine 111 31.44%
Royal Sovereign 4 1.13%
Murano 8 2.27%
Ingres 12 3.40%
Sennelier La Carte 80 22.66%
Uart 99 28.05%
Wallis 110 31.16%
Watercolour papers 21 5.95%
Suede Mat 14 3.97%
Velour Mat 33 9.35%
St Cuthberts Mill Somerset Pastel Paper" 2 0.57%
Other - state what in thread please! 17 4.82%
Schmincke Sansfix 10 2.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

I have already voted on this poll and at the time was not familiar with many different brands but my choice at that time was UArt. I could now add LaCarte and Pastelmat to the list as my other two faves. I still have not tried out a few of the other papers available. I like each of these papers for different reasons and I could also add other papers I like for their qualities as well. Believe it or not, I don't believe anyone has come up with the perfect paper! (I have not tried making my own surface).
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I also have already voted. At the time I liked Wallis, but now make my own surfaces so I can control the amount of tooth. Plus I really need to be able to put it in the sink, scrub it with a brush and use it again. At this stage most of my work gets scrubbed. I have tried all of the other brands and like several of them, e.g., Pastelmat. I bought some of the new Canson touch but have not tried it yet.

"beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

I am curious Sherry...what do you use and how do you make your pastel surfaces? and why do you prefer it to Wallis? I just ordered a pad of Wallis only to try it...never used it before.
Winny
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Wallis is wonderful and I love it, but it is expensive. And sometimes I want just a little tooth, not as much as it has. I order Multimedia Artboard and put a coating on it. Mix 1 cup of acrylic matte medium with 1 tablespoon of 240 aluminum oxide grit and a little water until it is the consistency of thick paint. Paint it on using a wide brush, first going horizontally, then vertically. It dries in less than 10 minutes. You can scrub it multiple times in the sink and it does not warp. This amount will coat about 15 + surfaces.

Paul DeMarrais, the artist, toldme how to do it. He has more instructions that you can find by googling his web site, going to the link at the bottom that i believe is titled "mixing it up." The recipe is there, but at the time he wrote this he was using different types of foam boards that you had to coat on both sides. You do not have to do this with multimedia artboard.

As a matter of fact Paul partnered with Multimedia Artboard and they now use this mixture to make a sanded surface to sell. It is the same thing I make.

#80   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Sherry makes a very good point about reuseable hand made sufaces, especially for those who are just starting out and want to reuse their paper.

From what I have accessed is, the sanded papers are hands down the most popular. It seems that many could go either way with the Wallis or Uart. As far as the Art Spectrum papers are concerned, the numbers shown are vaque since there are a number of AS available? Canson is probably as popular as it is, for a number of reasons. You can just about find it in any art or hobby store and it is very inexpensive and is what many people start out with.
I am confused about what is pastel card? Is this the same as Sennelier LaCarte pastel card? If this is the same, LaCarte would be the second top choice?
According to my math of the nearly 500 responses the toothier surfaces were hands down, the top choices. Still, each of the papers have their own unique characteristics and offer different finished results. I have seen outstanding work done on all of the surfaces mentioned. Essentially, the bottom line is paper choice is a matter of personal preference and or technique. I would not necessarily base my decision on choosing papers from a poll. I have looked at what others were able to accomplish on their selected surfaces and tried them out for myself. I am usually not unsatisfied with any of the papers I have tried out but have found with my own technique that certain papers may not work as well and that I may have to accomodate to the papers limits. This is not a bad thing and in fact I feel, broadens my ability.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
New Brunswick, Canada

Hails from Canada

I was torn that I could only pick three, but really I have five favourites and have a supply of all of them on hand. Which one I prefer depends on what I am painting, but I have different preferred papers for different subjects.

Here are my top five (in no particular order)
Canson - for portraits and architecture
Colorfix - for pan pastels
Pastelmat - for anything
Wallis - for landscapes
Sennelier La Carte - for realism
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

I guess I voted in this a long time ago, but my choices have changed, I think! I love PastelBord and use it a lot. But I've also used Colourfix a lot in the past and loved it to. But I recentl painted a piece on it, then did one on PastelMat. PastelMat is my hands down favorite for papers now. Hardly any dust compared to Colourfix. And I never realized how much dust there was with Colourfix until I used the PastelMat again!

So, my choices are:

1. PastelMat
2. PastelBord
3. Colourfix

Christine Neidhofer
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

1. UArt 400
2. UArt 500
3. Sennelier Le Carte

In reality, about the only one I use anymore is UArt. I don't mind the single cream color at all because if I want to I can paint it any color I want with acrylic or gouache or watercolor or oil. I can even use an alcohol/water wash on the pastels to "melt" them into the surface. I mount it on archival foam board first and never have a problem with it. If I get really frustrated, I can wash it all off and use it again! If I want a more gritty surface, they have two more choices. If I want a smoother surfaces,I also have 2 more choices.
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I also already voted, but my choices have changed. I originally voted Wallis as first choice. Then I started making my own sanded surfaces which I still do. I decided to try PastelMat based on many positive comments on here. I love it. It holds lots of layers and is less dusty. Great product. PastelMat and Giraults are a match made in heaven!

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Singapore

Hails from Singapore

I've only used Art Spectrum ColourFix, UArt and Sennelier La Carte. [Just my own rant... Singapore's a really inconvenient place for pastelists. With only 2 brands of pastels (Rembrandt, Schmincke - open stocks are almost forever not restocked...), and 1 brand of sanded paper available (Sennelier La Carte - often out of stock) my pay and savings are being decimated by shipping fees... ]

I must say my favourite would be the La Carte, but it's a pity I can't use wet techniques with it. By the way, will fixatives damage the La Carte? I got samples of Wallis from Blicks, but I'm not too happy with it. I don't know if it's my technique, but i cant seem to get more than 15 layers (and I actually wet the layers to let it sink down further when it started getting saturated)

I see many people like the PastelMat. How does it compare to rough surfaces like Wallis, UArt etc?

I know it's not related to this thread but if I'm going to mount paper to a board and leave a border visable (like Art Spectrum papers) should the border be a light colour like white/cream, or darks like black?

Last edited by KuriYokan : 05-24-2012 at 06:31 AM.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Hails from United States

"However, my absolute favorite surface(s) that I was used to working on and that the Colourfix just doesn't hold a candle to are the non-archival, easy-to-find and inexpensive sandpapers available at the hardware store. The best is 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper made in Canada, or GatorGrit made in Finland. Stuff is just awesome. Its only problems are the limited size (9x11) and that it's not acid-free. "

I love this surface as well and have been using it for years both in my artwork and in a class I teach locally. We use the 600 & 400 grit hardware store sandpaper. The class loves the dark surface of the 600 grit and the cream color of the 400. The non-acid free paper backing has never been a problem. The way 3M blasts the sand onto the paper, it would take a blow torch to get it off. The 9 x 11 size is a nuisance so we researched and found a source for larger sheets locally in the Dallas area.

We found rolls 20" x 25 ft. long which makes 10; 20 x 30 sheets. We thought we had died and gone to heaven. After a recent field trip to the Kimbell museum we are trying our hand at impressionism fashioned after Monet. Everyone is excited to do this project on the larger pieces of sandpaper.

My favorite surfaces of the ones offered are: Pastelmat, U-art, Colourfix.
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast
Jones County, NC

Hails from United States

The only paper I've worked with so far is Canson Mi Tientes and after reading this thread, I'm feeling like a total noob. I have used watercolor paper as a (failed) experiment and have a (1) piece of Pastelbord that is sitting on the counter in my art space. I stare at it, it stares back. I'm thinking I should unwrap it and learn why so many people here love it! I do like the Mi Tientes for the range of colors.
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

ncgirl-
unwrap the pastelbord! its my (expensive) default for paintings. but the advantage of a solid surface and not having to worry about mounting is great, it sheds virtually no dust, you can paint wet media on it...
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Clearwater, FL

Hails from United States

1. Tientes Touch - because of the wonderful colors and surface.
2. Pastelmat - becuase of the surface.
3. Uart if I need variations in texture
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Jones County, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks for the encouragement SoulBro - will unwrap the Pastelbord today! I found a lovely photo of some lilies that are begging to turn into a painting. If it works out, I'll post it. The wet media sounds interesting, I've tried it on paper - didn't work out very well. :P