WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States
Metallic, iridescent, and pearlescent chalk pastels

At the end of the year I ordered three sets of Diane Townsend pastels in metallic shades, iridescent, and pearlescent colors. With the exception of some of the metallics these are mostly very light, pale tints which are very useful especially for painting snow or clouds, etc.

I also ordered a set of Sennelier iridecents which have a better range of richer middle value colors. An excellent compliment to the Diane Townsend sets. But, still few dark colors.

Does anyone here know of other manufacturers of soft (not oil) pastels that are rich in mica powders for that special sparkle? I've used regular pastels up to this point. I am really enjoying that extra touch of something that catches the eye in person with these iridecent pastels mixed in with my regular choices.

I'm on the look out for dark, rich colors as mentioned above. Does anyone make deep greens, blues, reds, purples in these iridecent colors that I haven't located yet? I'd really like to obtain a wider range. If there is already a thread on this topic that my search didn't turn up, please be welcome to direct me to it. Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Metallic, iridescent, and pearlescent chalk pastels

Hmmm. Maybe I should have put this in the Materials thread. I didn't see that thread until I scrolled down all the way. If a moderator wants to move my post, please feel free to do so with my apologies.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2020, 09:36 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

This is a great place to ask questions!

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 03:28 AM

Mount Vision offers some
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwhitney
Mount Vision offers some

Thank you for this! I will look them up. I also found I could order a dark blue individual Diane Townsend pastel still in iridescent off of Amazon, oddly enough, but I don't see that color available in her sets so maybe she's working on building a new one over time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 04:17 PM
Canandaigua, NY

Hails from United States

Mount Vision has a small set of iridescents and a larger one - the larger set has the darker range - I bought them both when they were being introduced (and on sale - though Mount Vision is pretty economical); I've used them for beetles, butterflies, wet roads (there's a black) etc. I don't think they have metallic colors, but great jewel tones. I recommend Mount Vision pretty highly. Neal
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

PanPastel has some very nice ones..