WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Q & A on Drawing/Painting the Head

Pretty much to a teacher at The Academy of art in SF and Grand Central Academy in NYC - they all drive the basic drawing/painting from the darks and, then to some general bright/brightest areas and then work through local colors in the mid-tones. since many of the lighter colors are so opaque, then can remain truly vibrant and "clean" ontop of other tones.. but rarely am I painting a light color over a shadow shape anyway ( unless it's an eye form then I do it all the time when the lights are above .. many ways to skin the cat i spose' but since i draw in graphite and charcoal the same way - it seemed only logical..
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thaa's the way I was taught Kevin.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

hey friends,

I do mostly as Jocelyn does, but I make one exception with the eyes: i have to get them absolutely right, before I continue. if the eyes are slightly off I dont continue. The soul of a person is in their eyes I believe.

cheers

Andy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Queensland, Australia

Hails from Australia

I have a copyright question.
You will see from my gallery that I usually use pen and ink or qouche to illustrate animals.
I have decided to challenge myself to do something different and try a portrait. We have a local show coming up soon and one of the catorgories is a portrait.
What I would like to do since Michael Jackson was the idol of my teenage years, is an ink wash portrait of him.
But I need to work from a reference photo which are all pretty much from the media. How do you go with copyright on a photo of a celebrity.
Are you supposed to get permission to use the photo and how do I go about doing that. Somebody told me years ago that you can use a photo from a newspaper without breaching copyright as long as you change it at least 10 percent. Is this true!!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Dana Design

elaine, the answer to the last part of your question, the 10%, is a strong no.

I think the answers to your questions are at the bottom of my post beneath my signature line...the copyright issues.

I'm sure there will be many interested in painting MJ just as there are painting Barack Obama. And it all depends on what you plan to do with the painting once you finish it.

If you still have questions after reading the copyright info, please ask!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast
Lebanon

Hails from Lebanon

i start drawing eyes first,nose,mouth...the only difficulty i found is the shape of face roundness,head position,when i draw the line for the head it takes me time to erase & correct ...is there any specific rules to follow
another silly question..where is the signature must be,at the right side of the canvas or left side?
thank you

www.randakhairallah.com
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Dana Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar2000
i start drawing eyes first,nose,mouth...the only difficulty i found is the shape of face roundness,head position,when i draw the line for the head it takes me time to erase & correct ...is there any specific rules to follow
another silly question..where is the signature must be,at the right side of the canvas or left side?
thank you

Try looking at this:
http://www.worsleyschool.net/sociala...oportions.html

And your sig can go anywhere as long as it's unobtrusive.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi everyone

I would be really grateful for some help with facial construction. As a relative newbie to portraits I decided that I should try and learn properly and so I decided to use the method of construction for facial drawings in the book by Andrew Loomis. Whether it's my lack of brain cells or just missing the point, I have had real problems with establishing the correct centre line and brow line from which to produce the plane to produce facial features. This is particularly difficult when I try to construct the facial features on a head that is observed anything other than straight on. From what I can tell, the Loomis method (whilst a little technical) is meant to take away the guesswork when placing the facial features and allow consistency.

I have tried to attach the relevant images and instruction from the book.

Any help that you can give would be gratefully received and help me retain my sanity

Thanks for helping.

Steven
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 PM

very hard to not get caught up in small areas, thats the problem I have.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

I have a stupid question since I am an amateur artist-to be.
Since I like to work only on portraits from photos, I work immediately on the canvas and finish my work, however, I have learned that you should do an sketch of the proposed work and then bring that sketch to the canvas. This technique has been done by the old masters, as I have been told. What is the rationale behind this technique?
Thanks
Moe
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Granger, Indiana

Hails from United States
Question Re: Q & A on Drawing/Painting the Head

I did a portrait of my son last night and it did not turn out well.
what are the first or most important three or four things to render in
order to get a recognizable person out of a portrait. Is it eyes, head shape
moles, wrinkles, muscles, hair...charactature artists seem to have a knack
for pulling some of these features out of the model....I do not ...thank you
Pete

"Old Artists never die... they just vanish into Plein Air." - Peter C. Lavin

"To be an Artist is knowing the value of and with color." -Peter C. Lavin
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 AM
New Jersey, USA

Hails from United States

I love drawing portraits in pencil. Based on my experience whether I do it from a photograph reference or live portrait drawing I will first draw an oblong to signify the whole face then a smaller circle inside the upper part of the oblong. Inside it I will draw a horizontal line across the smaller circle which will be the guide to draw the eyes and eyebrows and a vertical line in the center of the circles use as guide to draw the nose. I will also draw another horizontal line below the smaller circle of the oblong to use as guide to draw the lips. Then I will draw a rough sketch of the eyes, eyebrows, ears, lips and the nose using those lines as my guides. After drawing these rough initial sketch I will now make each of these exactly identical to the reference I am working on. Hope this helps!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States

Thank you Guys, your comments are very helpful to my journey in learning to draw the head, I normally use pencil or charcoal.
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 AM

I paint in acrylics and start portraits by using Paynes Gray and white to "chisel"in the form and contours of the face. Beginning with the darkest forms around the eyes, nose,corner of the mouth. I then mix in white to indicate the medium and lightest areas. When that is dry I use a wash of purple for the darkest/shadow areas and Sap Green lightened with yellow to make a lime green shade for the highlight areas. When that dries, I start using a thin coat of the darkest flesh color (Violet, Ultramarine Blue, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Alizarin, Titanium White, 'because it's transparent, I use Zinc White for the highlights in the eyes')
I scumble several layers of paint allowing the purple and green under-painting to show through and highlight small areas with straight violet. The final color touches are applied with Acrylic Glazing Liquid to either accent the highlights or push back the shadows and edges of the face to give the appearance of roundness, blending into the background.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 AM

I begin drawing a 3/4 view by establishing the general shape and placement of the head. Then I draw a curved line across the head to indicate where the eyes will go (about the middle of the head with the left eye slightly higher than the closest, right eye). The nose will be a curved line half way between the eyes and chin and the mouth half way between the nose and chin. Keeping in mind that the head is "round" I then draw a line from the crown down the top of the head toward the center forehead and down the center of the nose and mouth to the bottom of the chin. The next several lines divide the head into sections from the top of the head through the temple and down the cheeks to the bottom of the jaw. Each section becomes narrower as it moves toward the sides and back of the head. Each "section" is painted in a different shade of flesh color to indicate the roundness of the face. Glazing is an easy way to push the flesh color back to indicate the roundness of the form.