WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Mark Montana / Hyperrealist portrait artist

Amazing, and how wonderful
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Dana Design

Leadhed, amazing work and a gorgeous mother! Absolutely beautiful and a joy to examine closely.

Also love your sense of humor...Sherwin Williams, indeed! LOL!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM

To cool. When the first tribal person looking in the mirror at themselves they screamed! To touch reality is powerful.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Your work is amazing. I love the detail. It's amazing how those working in photorealism have so many different styles. Your style shines through in these and it is outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing your work.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:07 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

I agree, there is always the artists hand and style evident, even in the most hyper of realistic or photorealist work.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Well put, Mark! I've heard that question so many times - why not just use a camera? I wish I'd had you here to answer for me.
And as far as your drawings - well, you have given me something to which I can aspire. I am sitting here at my computer, looking at your drawings and your eye for detail, wondering how you accomplished this, my chin dropped down to my keyboard with drool dripping all over. I am just in awe!
Please keep posting more of your work!

And please post your process, from start to finish, how you accomplish all that detail. I would like to know what materials you use, paper, pencils, etc., and what size these portraits are.

And, your mother is beautiful!

Last edited by Wassie : 05-31-2008 at 04:49 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
American in Stockholm

Hails from United States

thanx Quwatha (i have never heard that name before),

U R 2sweet. I especially appreciate the compliments to my mother and i thank you on her behalf too!

I am just about to post a WIP with TONS (to much) info about my process. it should be posted within the hour.
thanx for the good energy and humor. cheers.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Detroit, MI

Thanks for sharing these, Mark! I look forward to seeing more! Do you paint as well?

I personally love this type of work, it shows an incredible amount of seeing, understanding, and virtuousity, not to mention you are making artistic decisions the entire time, not just copying one random image exactly, so I've never understood the whole "just take a picture" attitude...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Lancashire - England- Uk

Hails from England

Ok Leadhed, i fully agree with all your reply to the WHY! question. If i wanted a portrait of myself i would want one warts and all, even though i have none, warts that is!.I dont get this idea of art is a painting that kind of looks like something therefore you are an artist, or you can draw a portrait like you have done and go 'oh my god i wish i had his talent' enough said. I appreciate all art and i dont think the question is WHY it is HOW?

Tracey x

Please check out my work on my website ~ Thanks!!http://traceyhollisrowe.moonfruit.com
http://Facebook.com/TraceyHollisRoweArtist
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi Mark,

Such wonderful work and subject choices you have here. I certaintly look forward to seeing more of your work as I am sure others are also.

Maybe I missed it in reading all this too fast, but are you using a pencil or pencils or what. I am really curious about that down even to the brands and variations of pencils or drawing instruments you use.

I am curious about your developing history as an artist also, Verses when you 1st started drawing do you now find yourself drawing and getting the likeness the 1st time out, Or is it more like you get very close likeness and then do slight adjustments or how? And this is from a person that draws a face 99times over and over til I get the likeness; now I think I'm down to 98 times over and over and what was your time frame to your current skill level, that is how long ?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Modesto, CA

Hails from United States

Leadhed,
Very well done. Your artwork and your explanation about your realistic expression are both grounded in truth. Nice. Keep up the good WORK.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

I adore your explanation of art. I'm printing it out and hanging it by my easel.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
East Brunswick, NJ

Hails from United States

Hiya Mark,

You are a master with the pencil portraits; excellent work. You must have the patience of a Saint because I know how long and tedious it becomes in order to obtain the effects you get. I use to draw portraits with a very high degree of details as you do. Mine were not as good as yours but nevertheless, it took me hours and hours of rendering to get the details necessary to achieve the results that I wanted. They were published in the Baltimore News American newspaper. As you well know Mark, there aren't any shortcuts in this technique, only craftsmanship and skill....and patience.

I don't have many of those early drawings I did but here's one I did for the sports page of that newspaper.
http://haroldshull.com/_wsn/page5.html

You are very talented Mark and I hope you stick around and show us some more of your portraits.

Hal

Last edited by CreativeHal : 06-01-2008 at 09:58 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 AM
American in Stockholm

Hails from United States

Hey Hal...thank you so much for the compliments...you are right about there being no short cuts...Perhaps that is why I feel there is no need to keep my "techniques" a secret...If someone has the patience to do it, then more power to them.

Your work is really beautiful, and you have been quite prolific it appears. I especially appreciated your self portraits and your beautiful portrait of 'Duke'.
I am thinking of doing a picture of my dog Madison. I have taken (literally) thousands and thousands of photos of her, so I have a wealth of material to 'draw' upon.

BTW: your illustration of the football player just gave me a sort of epiphany of why I am so detail-centric. When I was in the 5th grade, my math teacher "Coach" Cornilaud, commissioned me to draw a picture of him playing football from his college days.
The picture he provided me with was a blurry B&W 8x10 of him running with a football tucked under his arm. Since I was not into athletics, i had no idea what football gear consisted of, or what I was supposed to be rendering.
I went to the public library to find pictures of the uniform (ah...the days before the internet) and looked at Sports Illustrated too, but I couldn't really grasp what I was supposed to be drawing.
Coach Cornilaud LOVED his finished picture and kept it up in class for several weeks...but I HATED it...I was so embarrassed by what I considered to be a blurry mess of a picture, that i offered to buy it back from him...no deal. He finally took it down because he said he could see it was making me miserable.

After that experience, i would only accept commissions if someone could provide me with razor sharp photographs (uh...I seem to remember doing a lot of portraits based on photographs from Olan Mills Studios )
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

World class work, Mark! Extraordinary detail and technique- I appreciate your skills and patience. I have much less of the latter these (ever shorter) days.

My parents had a large mountain painting from a friend when I was young, and I realized only a few years ago the unconcious impact on my chosen subjects in art.

Ken

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!