Home Forums How to transport a sketch into canvas for painting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    axel9546

Hello!
        I have a projector, I have the sketch, but what i have to follow to have my sketch perfectly on canvas?
        There are some tricks and tips? Sometimes i lose most of the time to setup the projector in a correct angle, so i dont have my sketch looking too high or low.
        Thx

WFMartin

Projecting always involves the risk of distortion. Positioning the projector, and the canvas appropriately to eliminate this is difficult, at best. Combine that with the problems of actually performing the tracing of the image, such as the edge not being NEARLY as sharp as you had expected. Working in a darkened room so as to be able to actually SEE your image on the canvas. Having the shadow of your own hand, or arm block that which you are tracing…

These are all the reasons that I tried projecting once, …perhaps twice, but quickly gave it up, as my projector collects dust on a shelf, now.

A MUCH better method of transferring your sketch to the canvas is as follows, and it is what I do all the time:

Lay out a grid on your sketch in square increments that will represent the proportions of your canvas, in terms of inches. (Each square on the grid of your sketch should represent one inch of the selected canvas.)

Then, place the same proportional grid on the canvas, in REAL inches.

Using the shapes that are apparent on you original sketch, carefully draw the same shapes on a piece of tracing paper that is the same size as that of the canvas, using the same squares as those on you initial sketch. Once the sketch has been re-drawn on the tracing paper, rub soft vine charcoal (not graphite) on the back of the tracing paper, only where your drawing lines are located.

Place that piece of tracing paper containing your drawing, with the charcoal on the backside on your canvas, right-side-up, and go over the lines with a ballpoint pen, thus transferring your drawing to the surface of the canvas by means of charcoal.

Works for me very well, and has been for over 20 years.

(Hint: The transfer of the charcoal is profoundly indelible if you first apply a coat or two of flat, oil paint to the surface of the canvas, and allow it to dry. While it is still “fresh” after having dried, the transfer is absolutely incredible, and it beats transferring to an acrylic-primed surface.)

I gave up projecting many years ago.:angel:

However, if you have invested in a projector that you really feel obligated to use, perhaps some other member here can offer some suggestions, because all I’ve ever experienced was frustration when using a projector.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

bongo

some things that might help. This applies to an overhead projector but some of this might work for other projectors as well

gesso and sand your canvas so that it is paper-like smooth.

Make sure everything is squared up and that the lens is in a direct line projecting to the center of the canvas. so if the center of your canvas is five feet off the floor, then your projector has to be raised so that the lens is five feet off the floor.
                get your set-up as perfectly as you can, and then always use that set-up so you don’t have to re-invent the wheel each time. Set it up permanently if you can or in a space and way that you can easily re-create. –measure the distance to canvas, projector height etc.

Make sure your sketch and canvas are the same ratio
                Rather than moving the projector to get the right size on canvas, copy your sketch and print it out to a size that will project to the right size without moving anything. For example for an 18″x24″ you might have to make the print 4.5″x6″, for a 24″x36″ you’d make it 6″x9″. Right it down so you know what size print to make for each size canvas. This way you won’t have to move the projector you took so much pains to set up perfectly.

Make a copy of your sketch that is good for projecting – good for seeing the lines you want to copy. You may have to make it much more contrasty, leave out lines, make it black and white. etc. Put alignment marks in the corners of your sketch.

Copy the big shapes and forget about the details.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

Snow_tabby
                    john

One method I’ve used is to use the “posterize” function on the printer program. To make a large print. You have to assemble multiple pages together with tape. Then use a graphite bar to make it like carbon paper and then trace out. But I don’t think my current printer has that option.

A projector helps on complex drawings but if it’s a cheap one trying to see the line can be difficult. I have one mounted on the wall above my table. So it’s already adjusted for focus and parallel.

Bill’s method is one I should try sometime especially for scaling up to whatever size one wants.

And then there is just plain ol freehand sketching which works for me when no skillful drawing is needed. And for some things nothing other than freehand sketching will do. If you want to bend the buildings you have to do it freehand and sometimes that makes the best drawing even if it’s not “perfect”.

ianuk

And then there is just plain ol freehand sketching which works for me when no skillful drawing is needed. And for some things nothing other than freehand sketching will do. If you want to bend the buildings you have to do it freehand and sometimes that makes the best drawing even if it’s not “perfect”.

This would be my idea of the preferred method. However, one has to be pretty accurate at drawing, but whilst blocking in the shadows and shapes, everything is fixable. This is painting with oils of course. But with all mediums, I’d prefer to draw straight onto the canvas or paper.

MarcF

Here is how I do it when I’m not using my projector, which is distortion free, but quite expensive and no longer made. I was a mechanical draftsman by trade, about 350 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.