WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2015, 01:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles .......

Blooming, those cartoons are great. You have a clean style with these whimsical characters, great lines, good volume and shape. Well done!

Nice flowers, Katwalk. Very cool little sketch.

Wayne, wow. Intelligible blind contour drawing. I've done that, nowhere near as well as you just did. I have to look at what I'm doing or I'm so lost.

Gorgeous hazelnut branch, white pen. I love the refined accuracy and feel of it being right there, the values and shadows.

Cool leaf, Mike!

Wow, okay, everyone here is really good at this, so I'll post my life sketches anyway. The boot and first cat drawing killed one of my black Tombow pens, so I got some interesting fading-out values on the boot before I flipped it over to use the last of the ink in the bullet nib end. I was not having a good day by that point, today's sketch of my cat is a bit truer.

Life Sketches
8 1/2" x 11"
Tombow dual tip pen on sketchbook.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles .......

Great stuff Robert - exactly what a sketch book page should look like.
You can tell a lot about someone when they just grab the nearest thing to them to sketch - a psychologist would have a field day !

The other day I sketched a large very cluttered coffee table in front of me , I seen the sketch lying around the next day & realised that every bit of clutter was a symbol of my life history or inner psychology ! No you can't see it - it's just too personal , even if it is just a collection of everyday mundane objects.

I wonder why you sign each one , or sign a sketch at all ?
Do you have it in mind to show them to others when you make them.
Cheers Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 11-25-2015 at 02:10 PM.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

The expression on Ari's face is priceless Rob! ... and the boot is good!
I too like all these random objects .. as Mike says, true sketchbook work!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Robert great sketchbook drawings, esp like the rear view of your sleeping cat. And boots or shoes are always a good subject.

Mike, do I sign my sketchbook drawings, hmm it depends, if they are just for me personally then no I don't, but if I am going to post the drawing to either my blog or here or facebook then yes I will. Sometimes I forget to, but I really try to make sure anything I post to the internet has a signature of some kind.

I am working on a major piece so haven't been doing much sketching.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

I was without an internet connection for a few days and it is wonderful to see so many new posts.

Mike...It is wonderful when a fallen leaf can inspire such a sketch.

W.P....I like the composition of your sketch and the blue ink gives it a special charm.

Wayne...I've read about blind contour drawings but am yet to try it. Looks challenging.

Kathy...Nice vase and bookshelf. And by the way, I too try and sign anything that I post.

Blooming...Wonderful set of sketches. I love every character that you have posted. And thank you for your nice comment.

Robert...Terrific shading in all your sketches. You have brought out the form so well.

Somebody who was to meet me this morning stood me up. I made this quick ink sketch with a gel pen while waiting impatiently for him to turn up.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blah : 11-26-2015 at 01:15 PM.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Excellent sketch Balaji - you seem to get more interesting subjects to sketch in your street than I do in mine !
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

This sketch is infinitely more interesting than anything I might find while waiting for an appointment!
It's very good - you have the essence of the scene in a few rapid strokes.
Nice work!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

I am tickled to see more sketches being posted! I think sketching is an art form unto itself. For me, I find that a sketch draws me in deeper, keeps me there longer, and illicits more of an emotional response. I think the response is to the use of tone and line quality/weight. A painting rarely does that to me. While I can find a painting beautiful or well executed, it rarely moves me, with the exception of Van Gogh, and I think that is because he still employs the use of line.

Robert, thank you for the positive feedback! I love your use of line! The pear was my favorite! So few lines and yet so expressive! I also was impressed by the perspective in these drawings, a perspective I struggle with. Thanks for posting!

Blah, your quick sketch illustrates exactly what I was speaking of. The immediacy, deft handling, calligraphic strokes, impart such a feeling! I could FEEL the impatience! Please keep sharing!
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Blah LOL no I don't think your street scene would be seen in my area of the world, esp. as I am fairly sure that there are no cows living in the city where I live, maybe a few is surrounding towns, but they tend to stay close to home, and prefer their fields to paved streets. Great sketch.

Yesterday was the US Thanksgiving day, a day we tend to get together with family or friends and eat way too much food. I visited with a friend and did this sketch during the after dinner veg out.

A glass vase with some flowers, very sketchy

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Love "very sketchy" Kathy! Thanks for posting.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 02:06 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Very sketchy - but verrry nice Kathy! ....... and what else is better than digesting and drawing!

**My SAA website**
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming
I am tickled to see more sketches being posted! I think sketching is an art form unto itself. For me, I find that a sketch draws me in deeper, keeps me there longer, and illicits more of an emotional response. I think the response is to the use of tone and line quality/weight. A painting rarely does that to me. While I can find a painting beautiful or well executed, it rarely moves me, with the exception of Van Gogh, and I think that is because he still employs the use of line.

I get this totally .
Very often you come to look at a sketch a master has done for his famous painting & appreciate more than the resulting painting !
More direct, more lively, more truth & authenticity in it.

When doing more complex pen & ink studies I always try to keep some of that spontaneity by working at speed & from direct reference but it isn't always easy.
Takes an artist to appreciate a sketch though ! you can hammer a subject to death with an extreme quality of finish & "polish " & it will receive applause & admiration from from your average guy on the street.
Good job we have WC. to introduce us to fellow sketch aficionados !
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 11-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

[email protected]

from 2014 with a bit color...

Camel I

This is part of Nr II sketchbook 2014 doodles...

Cheers W.P.
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Lord of the Arts

Ha ! really caught his expression WP. excellent!
Mike
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well captured W.P. - no other animal has such a superior and sometimes supercilious expression!
Love this!

**My SAA website**