WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#2926   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: What are you Working on Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55
Michaelshane, I'm quite impressed. Do you think you're getting closer to painting your masterpiece?

I'd better be getting close.Im getting old.
  #2927   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshane
I'd better be getting close.Im getting old.

#2928   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Did my XMAS 2016 shopping online yesterday. Going to get things like oil canvas paper, more oil colors, big charcoal sticks, lots of figure and classical drawing and painting books. About to start working with a Renaissance type palette.

https://www.instagram.com/nisty7kragel2/
  #2929   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, I'm so happy this thread is still here! Slow but here! I hope we can keep it going, it's my favorite thread! I've been gone for a while. It's a long story that I might post to see if anyone has been thru it. I'm so happy to be back🙋🏻

Michael, this sure looks like a great start on your masterpiece👍😊 I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Grub, that wood piece you posted from the crack house is amazing!! One of my favorite things is what I call NOD, naturally occurring decay. When I see it I try to take a snapshot on my cell. A lot of times I'm driving by and can't stop though and it just makes me want to cry. Is the fish that you posted fins for the same piece we were all following back a few months ago?

George, Wow, I really love that latest piece of yours! Abstract and I love the colors and the light that you were able to achieve!👏😊 Your work since I was here last has become so vibrant in your colors and light, way to go!

Chris, your lady with the dragonfly is beautiful! The artist who is going to get her is lucky indeed😊

Rob, can't wait to see your penguin😊
  #2930   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

WIP 8x10 oil painting Single Flower

I posted this in WIP too. It is a second attempt on a painting I posted here awhile back. It needs some tweaking so still a ways to go before I'll consider it finished. So far I'm happy with it except for the flower. Not sure where to go from this point with the flower. I know it needs highlights and the center needs more detail. I might try to add some leaves also.

I would appreciate any advice on how to achieve the flower highlights in an impressionistic way. By the way this painting is from my head so the flower isn't any particular type of flower.

Thank you😊
Attached Images

#2931   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Matilda, thanks for the kind words. I've since updated that painting, am unhappy with it, and decided to just move onto something else. Your flowers look beautiful. Very loose, and course ... a painting style that I'm looking to achieve.

Here's the "floor face" piece.

... and the new piece I'm working on.

I'm glad you're back, this thread has been pretty much dead since you and AnnaLee and another girl disappeared. It's been pretty much Grub and I posting.

#2932   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:57 PM
Lord of the Arts

I read this thread too, though I don't post often, I enjoy seeing all your work.
I thought I'd add a post, I seem to be a little "talky" today. Of course there's always housework and yardwork (to avoid or not) but I hope to make adjustments to y almost finished piece, add paint to another, and work on maybe 3 different drawings.
Matilda, your vase is beautiful, the colors are wonderful. Maybe it's my computer, the V right side looks too suddenly dark to me. Maybe soften that edge a bit. What color is it--is that diox purple? Looking forward to seeing what you do with the flower.
George, those are interesting.
  #2933   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

After discovering the cost of printing a children’s book I decided to turn my illustrations into something akin to 5” x 7” folded greeting cards. I’m just sending out the episodes to friends and relatives. The illustration is on the cover and the text is placed on the inside as is most cards.

#2934   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

pa-paw, good to see you. That is beautiful work, the people you're sending episodes to will surely be grateful to see it I'm curious as to how much it would have costed to print each page for the book.

ntl, thank you. I *hope* this turns out as nicely as I planned. I still don't know how people paint over a mass-toning of turps and burnt umber without muddying things up. In the videos I see on youtube they seem to be going to the dead layer directly after the mass-toning. Am I missing something?

#2935   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

When I tone canvases, I either allow the tone layer to dry first, or often, I may do a drawing on it while it's still wet, then let that dry. Part of my decision making is how ready I am to continue. In the one almost finished, I toned the canvas lightly with burnt sienna for this one, and drew major areas in with burnt sienna. After that dried, I knew the shape of 4 areas, so I painted them in a with what is basically a first layer. I let them dry, then worked on it piecemeal since.
If I have a drawing on paper, I'll let the toned layer dry, apply charcoal to the backside of the drawing, and transfer that to the dried toned canvas.

Last edited by ntl : 01-31-2017 at 05:14 PM.
  #2936   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Lord of the Arts

Actually, I'm glad you asked the question. I had not thought about much beyond the small drawing for the next two, but they are complicated enough, I think I'll make the canvas sized drawing and transfer the drawing to the canvas. It may make things a little easier.
  #2937   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
pa-paw, good to see you. That is beautiful work, the people you're sending episodes to will surely be grateful to see it I'm curious as to how much it would have costed to print each page for the book.

ntl, thank you. I *hope* this turns out as nicely as I planned. I still don't know how people paint over a mass-toning of turps and burnt umber without muddying things up. In the videos I see on youtube they seem to be going to the dead layer directly after the mass-toning. Am I missing something?
As far as the book cost’ is concerned it would be somewhere north of $2200.00 for a trade book (soft cover), depending on how many copies are to be issued. The cards are a tad more than $1.00 per. The original illustrations are typically painted on 11” x 17” sheets of 140# cold press watercolor paper. I scan and edit them then put the illustrations on a flash drive and take them to Staples who puts the illustrations and text onto card stock. I bring the cut stock home and use a bone folder the complete the card. I like projects and this keeps my mind working, plus I enjoy touching people with humor. Thank you for the compliment.
  #2938   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Wow George, the colors are even more vibrant in this one and I love it!! Are you calling it floor face because you saw in the floor? If so, I hope I start seeing stuff in my floor too!! The next painting is a great start too, already gorgeous! I am excited for you!👏
Thank you for the compliment on my flower painting, I'm working on painting looser😊

ntl, thanks so much!😊 I agree with you on softening that edge a bit. The color is French ultra marine blue and alizarin Crimson and a bit of white in places too. I did this painting wet in wet and I love how colors blend together in such unique ways.

I hope you will start posting your paintings here too. I love this thread and would like to see it thrive again!

pa-paw, what a brilliant idea! Is it an ongoing story, each card representing a continuation of it? Your illustrations are wonderful and I remember seeing your wood carvings, painting s and photos on flicker before and really liking them too😊
  #2939   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, Matilda. Yes, it is intended to be sent out in episodes which should at some point be a completed book. The postage will kill me, however.
  #2940   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Matilda, the flooring is some sort of linoleum in the bathroom. The pattern varies about every five feet or so.