WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Focus on: EARS

Crystal, Ella & Carol,

I'm glad you are interested in the ear thread.
Thanks to Ella for posting up a painting with good attention to the ear.

I think we should keep this thread active for a while, as I think ears do need attention. I also plan to draw and post up some ears.... just need to get to it!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Indiana

Hails from United States

I was using Lauren's photos of ears for practice, and well, one thing led to another. Soon my ears were detached from heads and more than just ears.

Naked ears are ok too?

And then I thought a little color would be good.

Then I got kind of crazy.

All the ears are about 6 to 10 inches high. I apologize to those whose ears I augmented.

Kate
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Kate, what fun...you're a hoot!

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Indiana

Hails from United States

I'll take that as a complement, Nancy! I'm glad you get my humor. Not everyone does!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Detroit Suburbs

Hails from United States

This is a great discussion! I think noses would be great to do this kind of study on too. And possibly even lips in interesting or unusual positions (or me,I have a crooked smile most of the time and self portraits with a smile are always fun...).

Did you know, you can see it in at least one of the posted pictures that some people don't have either a tragus or anti-tragus. If you don't have one or its very small, it's especially hard to keep those in eat headphones in! There's another part of the ear though I'm no longer sure just which but higher up... I had this long uh, romantic fixation, with a politician and looking through pictures I discovered her ear almost seemed to lack this part higher up that my ears and most have. In fact I have drawn several portraits of her, so my excuse for noticing. Ill look up a picture if I remember.

And Kate, oh my gosh, I love your ear people!!!!

I have to say also, I think I've found my "home" or natural fit her on WC in this forum! Just geeking out on ears showed me that. Haha. Portraits is the one thing that comes more naturally and easy to me and just always has. At the very beginning of my formal art training at this arts middle and high school (was fine art and performing arts and in general a gifted and talented school. Really nifty place) I started in the dance program then switched to art halfway through the year and when I joined the class, the first lesson I was there for (which obviously was not the starting point of the class itself! i had missed the beginning stuff! We had three hour a day art classes even at that young age) that first lesson/ unit was portraiture and I just took toit so well, it really clicked with me. That teacher always loved my portraits so much and would show them off to the whole class. I wasn't so good at a lot of other things but that high praise at such a very tough age really meant a lot and I've just been big on portraits ever since. Hoping to find my favorite self portrait from that time of me in my gothy 12-13 year old phase.

I still draw more portraits than anything else, often test new mediums or supplies by doing portraits. Just received my very first soft pastels and picked a portrait set by Sennelier and looking forward to trying it out as somehow my art experience skipped over soft pastel! Funny how that's be such an ambitious starting point for a lot of folks.

Anyway sorry to ramble kind of intro here. I just really connected with this thread somehow. my health issues have turned me into a medical geek too so that was also part of the fascination. The human body as a whole, especially faces are just the most beautiful and fascinating things, I think.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren F-M
I hope that you will also share photos of your ears, and perhaps others you come across. The more, the merrier!

This is my latest ear, it's a life drawing of a cast, charcoal on Roma paper, it's not done yet, I don't know when will I finish it, but it's my first charcoal drawing ever and it's been difficult to reach to this stage.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Fabulous drawing Moscatel. I can see you have some atelier training there.

I decided I needed to learn the ears but rather than start with a drawing I thought it best to begin sculpting one. Sculpting will hopefully help me remember the parts of the ear better and see form in my mind when I come to drawing it.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Moscatel and Amrit -- thanks for posting your current work on ears! Nice to see different treatment of them; very informative for us all.

Moscatel -- I see that you are in Florence, and also that you are drawing a cast in the classic 'atelier' style. Very well done! Are you studying at an atelier there? I was studying with an artist here in Canada, and was also doing an ear cast -- using sight-size method. I lost patience with it, and never completed it. Good for you that you are working hard at yours; many hours of hard work and dedication! Also -- it's very hard, if not impossible to get Roma paper here. My teacher had done some of her Bargue and cast studies on it, but we have to make due with another kind. Thanks for showing this, and I hope you will post up more!

Amrit -- very interesting that you are modeling the ear. What kind of modeling medium is that? Very good idea!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi! I used sculpey clay. I've actually painted it white now, ready to be used as a cast for drawing, as soon as I finish my current project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren F-M
Moscatel and Amrit -- thanks for posting your current work on ears! Nice to see different treatment of them; very informative for us all.

Moscatel -- I see that you are in Florence, and also that you are drawing a cast in the classic 'atelier' style. Very well done! Are you studying at an atelier there? I was studying with an artist here in Canada, and was also doing an ear cast -- using sight-size method. I lost patience with it, and never completed it. Good for you that you are working hard at yours; many hours of hard work and dedication! Also -- it's very hard, if not impossible to get Roma paper here. My teacher had done some of her Bargue and cast studies on it, but we have to make due with another kind. Thanks for showing this, and I hope you will post up more!

Amrit -- very interesting that you are modeling the ear. What kind of modeling medium is that? Very good idea!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
US

Hails from United States

Wow, this is great. Very informative. Thank you.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Pembrokeshire, Wales

Hails from Wales

Some good information in this thread, good cast drawing too .

I've also done a cast drawing of an ear, nitram and utrect charcoal on paper,

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Indianakate, love your ear interpretations!

love all the casts and drawings.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Interesing thread! From the medical and anecdoctal standpoint, the ear lobe is considered important especially when the so called Earlobe Crease develops. The appearence of this crease may be associated to cardiovascular disease. The first photo is a typical earlobe crease in an elderly gentleman.
In fact, when I was working on Dr. Robert Koch portrait I noticed the ear lobe crease on his right ear. It was quite prominent. He suffered a heart attack in 1910, and never recovered and passed away at the age of 66.
Not all physicians are in accordance with this finding. However, it is well know in the medical community.
BTW I have that famous crease on my right earlobe!

Last edited by Moises Menendez : 12-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast
Paris area, France

Hails from France

Thanks for this thread on ears. It is most interesting.

It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information. - Oscar Wilde
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

It's rare that I post on WC lately, but the ears thread caught my attention and before I knew it, I had sketched one of them. Thank you for sharing the images and the idea. Drawing or painting individual body parts is very good practice for constructing the whole head.

Here's my sketch in graphite - about 4 x 6"