Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies How does Fine Art America work?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    orrrock

I am researching sites I might use to sell prints of my work. Having just looked through the Redbubble vs Zazzle vs Fine Art America thread. I had a look at the all the sites and as I do small still lives (generally 4 x 6 inches) Fine Art America looks like my best bet. My difficulty is working out how they make any money. Apparently I decide on the price I want to charge for a print and I receive 100% of that price. Are they making money on postage and packing or frames? Am I missing something?

peter

"Ladies and gentlemen I have suffered for my Art...now it's your turn."
        http://peterorrock.blogspot.com/

Davkin

You tell FAA how much you want to make from a particular size of print, FAA adds their price for printing the image on top of that, so the price that shows up once your item is set up is the total of what you want + what FAA charges. Here’s a table that shows the FAA charges based on the size of the print;

http://fineartamerica.com/printondemand.html

David

David

CSForest

You don’t receive 100% of the price. They have a base price, say $15 for a small print. You decide how much you want to add, say $10. Then the retail price to the public is $25. If someone buys a print then FAA gets $15 and you get $10. I find FAA’s pricing much easier and more straight-forward than sites that force you to use % markups.

Crista Forest
                My Animal Art Sites
                [/COLOR] -- My Animal Art Gifts -- My Art Prints Page

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

orrrock

Thank you both for the information. Red Bubble made this clear at the beginning of the process, FAA does not make this clear in their “tour”. I am happier about the system now and will study the link so helpfully provided by David.

peter

"Ladies and gentlemen I have suffered for my Art...now it's your turn."
                    http://peterorrock.blogspot.com/

Does anyone find going pro on FAA make a difference in your sales? Do they give you more priority in searches?

EyeSpy

You don’t get bumped up in search for going pro with FAA. What you do get is:

1. A second stand-alone website (customizable with your own banner), where visitors can view your work without seeing all of the gigantic FAA pool of artists. See my example,here: http://art166.com
                        (I purchased a domain from GoDaddy, to direct to that website.)

2. Unlimited uploads. I’ve never sold anywhere I’ve had fewer than 100 items listed, so FAA’s free 25-piece option was not for me.

3. A small commission on any accessories – frames, mats, etc. — ordered with your art prints.

I believe having unlimited images, well organized into galleries, significantly raises my chances of being found on FAA. In that way, having a premium account has contributed to my sales — and to the overall Internet presence of my art business.

Sales do give you search priority at FAA.

My Fine Art Prints - Paper, Framed, Canvas, Acrylic, Metal.[/url]
                        Website - Information and portfolio.[/URL]

Thank you! This is good to know. I have had an account for a while, but not really done anything with it. I only have 25 listings so I guess I’d better get more up before I spend any money on it. But 30. is pretty reasonable for the year.

EyeSpy

Kerri, if you have 25 listings, you’re already at the maximum for the free FAA plan.

My Fine Art Prints - Paper, Framed, Canvas, Acrylic, Metal.[/url]
                            Website - Information and portfolio.[/URL]

falcon012

If you sell one large print all year that should at least cover the $30 fee. I think it is worth it. The more art you have for sale, the more likely you are to make a sale.

Oh! Right! I have 23 exactly right now but I have a few more I was going to upload. So I guess I won’t be putting it off then….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                              • The topic ‘How does Fine Art America work?’ is closed to new replies.